Wednesday, February 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7928, 2019-02-13

CONTESTANTS
Seth Birnbaum, a marketing manager from Seattle, Washington
Susie Highley, an education consultant from McCordsville, Indiana
Eric R. Backes, an attorney and government relations professional from Round Rock, Texas (whose 2-day cash winnings total $76,901)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I'm gonna start off today's program with a gentle reminder, just in case you haven't done anything about it yet. Tomorrow, remember, Valentine's Day. Enough said. Seth, Susie, Eric, welcome. Good luck. Here we go. Here are the categories for this first round of play today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SPORTS ACROSS AMERICA (5/5) (Alex: Each clue will be delivered by a personality from one of our affiliates all over the country.)
GLASSWARE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THAT CAN MEAN 2 THINGS (5/5)
A REAL HORROR STORY (5/5)
ECON. ABBREV. (4/5)
THE IDES OF FEBRUARY (5/5) (Alex: Believe it or not, they were on the 13th, not the 15th, as in the case of March.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Eric: 17 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Susie: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Seth: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Eric found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Eric had $5,200, Susie had $200, and Seth was at $1,000. Eric wagered $2,300.

GLASSWARE $600: The name of this wine glass may come from the Irish word for "mouth"
(Eric: What is...what is a snifter?)
(Alex: No. "Shut your gob." What is [*]?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Eric: $2,900
Seth: $1,000
Susie: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Seth Birnbaum is from Seattle, Washington, and he is a founding member of an important society.

Seth: That's right. The original Seattle Pizza Society. And I'm actually the second member of the Pizza Society who's been on Jeopardy!. My buddy was on about a year ago, and you talked to him about pizza, too. So I think that proves that pizza makes you smarter.

Alex: And is pizza the food for Seattle? I mean, you have great seafood there, but...

Seth: Yeah, seafood's probably more of a specialty, but we're just really into pizza.

Alex: Oh. Okay. Not a bad thing to be into.

Alex: Susan Highley is from McCordsville, Indiana. One of your hobbies, I understand, is geo...

Susie: Geocaching.

Alex: Which means?

Susie: You find things with a GPS that people have hidden, which are often places of interest or things that you would never know about otherwise.

Alex: Okay, so this is a game that's become very popular.

Susie: Yes, yes.

Alex: All over America, right?

Susie: Because now you don't have to have a GPS to geocache. There are a lot of apps on your smartphone. So it's easy for anybody to start.

Alex: We were traveling abroad, my family and I, just a few months ago, and the kids were on their cell phones and giving me directions as I drove the car. Well, they didn't give it. The lady on the phone was giving me the directions. "Turn here, stupid."

Alex: Eric Backes is our champion. You started with the sports category.

Eric: Yes.

Alex: I assume that you were good in sports in high school.

Eric: I wasn't good. I'm a big fan. I ran cross-country, and I bowled. Uh, yeah.

Alex: And you lettered in both?

Eric: I lettered in both. I lettered all four years in bowling.

Alex: Yep.

Eric: Mm-hm.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ECON. ABBREV. $800: AS & AD:
Aggregate these 2 related things

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Eric: $8,300
Susie: $3,000
Seth: $2,200
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ODD-NAMED ANIMALS (5/5)
OPERA CHARACTERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORD & PHRASE ORIGINS (3/5)
THE EISNER AWARDS (5/5)
WHAT'S THE POINT? (5/5)
ROLLING A "7" (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Eric: 13 R, 1 W
Seth: 11 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Susie: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Seth snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Eric had $7,100, Susie had $3,400, and Seth was at $5,400. Seth wagered $3,000.

ROLLING A "7" $1600: Group nickname for Bryn Mawr & Vassar +5

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Seth who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Eric had $21,100, Susie had $8,600, and Seth was at $11,200. Seth wagered $5,000.

OPERA CHARACTERS $1600: Susanna, Countess Almaviva's maid, is the bride in this opera

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORD & PHRASE ORIGINS $1200: This psych term means a persistent idea--it once meant control by demons outside you, the opposite of possession

WORD & PHRASE ORIGINS $1600: In 1915 the British military deceptively called a prototype a "water carrier", leading to this name
(Eric: What is an aircraft carrier?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Eric: $24,300
Seth: $17,000
Susie: $8,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POETS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Eric: Wager $9,701 to cover Seth.
Seth: You need to wager $201 to cover Susie's doubled score, but no more than $2,400 if you want to top Eric on a Triple Stumper.
Susie: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $6,000), you might try betting $8,401, playing for a win if Seth tries to two-thirds Eric (though, from this position, a wager of all $8,600 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Seth to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He gave his pets names like Wiscus, Pettipaws, George Pushdragon & Jellylorum, the last of which he used in a poem

FINAL SCORES
Susie: $8,600 - $6,000 = $2,600 (Who was Seuss?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Seth: $17,000 - $16,999 = $1 (Who is Seuss) (3rd place: $1,000)
Eric: $24,300 - $10,000 = $14,300 (Who is Nash?) (3-day champion: $91,201)
(Alex: [To Eric] No, the correct response is [*]. Think of Cats, the musical.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Eric: $26,600, 30 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Seth: $12,200, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Susie: $8,600, 9 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $47,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Eric: 30/59 = .508
Seth: 17/60 = .283
Susie: 9/58 = .155
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SPORTS ACROSS AMERICA $200: (I'm Rob Fukuzaki from ABC7.) Most remember him as a baseball player, but the Rose Bowl statue of this multi-sport star reminds people he played football as a UCLA Bruin

SPORTS ACROSS AMERICA $400: (I'm Jennifer Gilbert from FOX45.) Pimlico is home to this horse race, the second of the Triple Crown

SPORTS ACROSS AMERICA $600: (Hi, I'm Sarah French from NBC Charlotte.) Here at Bank of America Stadium, the Carolina Panthers, led by this quarterback, qualified for the Super Bowl in 2016

SPORTS ACROSS AMERICA $800: (I'm Pooja Lodhia with ABC13.) This 7-footer from Nigeria was the MVP of the finals for both of the Houston Rockets' NBA titles

SPORTS ACROSS AMERICA $1000: (Hi, I'm Eric Perkins from KARE11.) In the first regular-season NFL game at U.S. Bank Stadium, the Vikings beat this team that plays its home games the closest to Minneapolis

THE IDES OF FEBRUARY $800: The last original edition of this comic strip appeared on Feb. 13, 2000; its creator had died the day before
(Seth: What is The Far Side?)

GLASSWARE $1000: A slang term for the items seen here in the glass give it this name

ODD-NAMED ANIMALS $1200: The massive pincers on the guy seen here are used to open a certain tree-dropped item, giving the crab this name

THE EISNER AWARDS $1200: A "Batman" cover with the Joker & this villain helped Alex Ross win Best Cover award for 1999

CORRECT RESPONSES
a goblet
supply and demand
7 Sisters
The Marriage of Figaro
obsession
tank
T.S. Eliot
Jackie Robinson
the Preakness
Cam Newton
(Hakeem) Olajuwon
the Green Bay Packers
Peanuts
rocks
the coconut crab
Harley Quinn
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POETS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He gave his pets names like Wiscus, Pettipaws, George Pushdragon & Jellylorum, the last of which he used in a poem

Eric R. Backes: 24300-10000=14300 (3x = $91,201)
Susie Highley: 8600-6000=2600
Seth Birnbaum: 17000-16999=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
T.S. Eliot (Eric – Nash) (Susie – Seuss) (Seth – Seuss)

Daily Doubles
Eric: 5200-2300
Seth: 5400+3000
Seth: 11200+5000

Coryats
Eric: 26600
Susie: 8600
Seth: 12200

Combined: 47,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Eric: 8300
Susie: 3000
Seth: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Seth’s chat was about Pizza Society and he said there was a contestant last year connected with it. Yes. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4651&p=279586&hilit ... ty#p279586

Eric gave a correct response with a Draccent and of course Alex followed with his own.

Eric was 0/2 on big clues while Seth was 2/3. Eric had several ways to lose the game yet managed to make it to a 4th game.
DD3: Eric led 21100 to Seth’s 11200 when Seth added 5000 with 3 clues worth $4000 remaining on the board.

Seth could have wagered 201 in the FJ! round to cover a potential double up by Susie. 16799 of course would have easily won the game against Eric’s fall-to point.

Susie could have solved the FJ! clue and 14600 would have bested Eric’s 14300. If Eric had bet to cover Seth by a buck then Eric would have fallen to 14599. Nice wager by Susie and she deserves the $2000 for second place.

If Eric makes the TOC and does damage then Seth will not be getting holiday cards from the other 14 players.

The FJ! clue had me wonder for a second about Nash or Carroll. Unlike some who will solve by recognizing Jellylorum my path was the “paws” in Pettipaws making me think of the right animal. From there I could complete the dots to the correct poet.

It’s what I call a lucky solve since I really did not know any parts of the clue and only knew how to sniff what the writers were cooking. Checking the Archive I did not find a hit for any of the animal names.

Would Seuss appear in a category called POETS? I say no.
eric.backes

Post by eric.backes »

The math portion of my brain went mushy went I was trying to calculate my wager in FJ.

And yes, Carroll was my 2nd guess. Eliot didn't even come to mind, I've never seen CATS!!! My friend who was in the audience has since sent me a copy of Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. It's a weird, but entertaining little book.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:03 pm Seth’s chat was about Pizza Society and he said there was a contestant last year connected with it. Yes. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4651&p=279586&hilit ... ty#p279586
I've played Seth and Krishna in LearnedLeague a few times. Both are strong competitors there.

I liked this FJ! clue a lot just for the multiple ways one could know this answer.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

eric.backes wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:57 pm The math portion of my brain went mushy went I was trying to calculate my wager in FJ.

And yes, Carroll was my 2nd guess. Eliot didn't even come to mind, I've never seen CATS!!! My friend who was in the audience has since sent me a copy of Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. It's a weird, but entertaining little book.
Congratulations and welcome!
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

eric.backes wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:57 pm The math portion of my brain went mushy went I was trying to calculate my wager in FJ.
Mushy or not, you made a cromulent wager IMO.

Congratulations on getting a little bit of that crucial Jeopardy luck to extend your run via an overly-aggressive 2nd place wager.

In many markets, my own experience with that very same phenomenon can be seen (via rerun) on Friday. ;)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:03 pm

Susie could have solved the FJ! clue and 14600 would have bested Eric’s 14300. If Eric had bet to cover Seth by a buck then Eric would have fallen to 14599. Nice wager by Susie and she deserves the $2000 for second place.

I don't begrudge her second prize, but I'm certainly not a fan of her bet. Had Seth made the likely bet of $201 or so, she beats him with a get, which she needs anyway to have any chance to win.

I guess there's nothing to prevent those animals from being dogs, but I couldn't think of any dog poets, so Eliot it had to be. They do sound a bit more catlike, though, especially Pettipaws. I wonder if Jellylorum was named for Jelly Roll Morton?

Edit-- Oh, "Wiscus". Forget what I said about dogs.
Last edited by Lefty on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Smart move by Eric to start with the video category, to maximize the time for the higher-value DJ round.

I'm liking the mix of macro and micro here.

Letterboxing > Geocaching. Just sayin'.

RIP Charles Schulz :(

For the longest time I thought Dr. Jekyll was the evil one because "Jekyll" just sounded so evil, whereas "Hyde" seemed perfectly normal, hell it even was the name of a bucolic park!

I remember thinking it was a pity that Doug Dodson never got an opera category...

OK, "Brunnhilde" = "Valkyrie" is seriously overvalued at $2000

Coryat: $47,600

J: 27R3P. Missed DD. 5/5 on Sports, 2 Things, Economics Abbreviations, and Ides of February. 4/5 on Glassware. 3/5 on Horror Story.

DJ: 27R3P. Got both DDs. 5/5 on Opera, Word Origins, What's the Point, and Rolling a 7. 4/5 on Animals. 3/5 on Eisner Awards.

FJ: Wavered between Lewis Carroll and T.S. Eliot, got lucky on the coin flip.

LT: Supply and Demand, obsession, tank
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

What was the TOM for Jackie Robinson on Sports for $200? I didn't know he did anything else besides baseball.

Can't say I've heard of the Preakness or anything else in that category.

Also recognized nothing except GDP in that Economics category.

Not even "shut your gob" got me to "goblet" in time.

I've heard of Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath, but never managed to pair them mentally.

Ran the Two Meanings category, got all but Rosemary's Baby in Horror.

Seven Veils was my only miss in Seven, and Point Udall my only miss in Point.

I couldn't make the shift to "salamander" in time since I had "amphibian" lodge into my head, and couldn't dislodge it in time. Didn't help since I thought axolotls were completely different animals. Even worse, my only miss in that category.

Daredevil was my only miss in the Eisner category.

No guess on FJ! I didn't see a TOM anywhere in sight.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Matched champ with my guess of Nash. Faceslap upon reveal.

For those who like stats: Eric had a chance to pass $100k in his first three games with a correct response in Final (or a zero bet.. I guess). I believe Andrew Pau is still the most recent contestant to accomplish this, almost three years ago now!

Eric, welcome to the board and congrats on three extremely impressive wins to this point. A testament to your ability lies within the fact that you didn't dominate tonight's game, but still posted a $26k Coryat score; you make the game look effortless. Excited to see the rest of your run!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

OK, I must have missed that discussion in lit class. How do those animal names lead to T.S. Eliot? I guessed Ogden Nash and never looked back. :?:
Leander

Post by Leander »

DBear wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:50 pm OK, I must have missed that discussion in lit class. How do those animal names lead to T.S. Eliot? I guessed Ogden Nash and never looked back. :?:
Unless you are a real expert on Eliot, I think you have to guess those are cats names and know that Eliot’s poems were adapted into Cats the musical. Easier get for Broadway musical fans than for poetry fans.

Instaget for me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

How do you ask for a 10-letter word and then allow an 11-letter word? Weak.

No clue on FJ. Guessed Lewis Carroll, thinking maybe he threw that word into Jabberwocky.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Welcome! I can imagine that math can get almost impossible under that kind of pressure. Heck, I can panic from the couch just trying to calculate the date that's X years before YYYY. Anyway, fortunately for you, Seth didn't study wagering so he didn't even know what math to do. He was perfectly positioned to win on a triple stumper with a small wager.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:01 pm What was the TOM for Jackie Robinson on Sports for $200? I didn't know he did anything else besides baseball.
Gotta admit, I missed that one, too.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:01 pm How do you ask for a 10-letter word and then allow an 11-letter word? Weak.
I was ok with that. It did look like there was an edit, so I'm guessing they paused the game to make a ruling. Maybe Eric rememberes?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Since I'm hearing lots of misses, I will add to the straw poll and say it was an instaget for me. Saw Cats a long, long time ago, and those names sounded just like Eliot.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:01 pm What was the TOM for Jackie Robinson on Sports for $200? I didn't know he did anything else besides baseball.
Gotta admit, I missed that one, too.
I'm wondering how Eric got it, being a Texas guy. You had to know it cold IMHO - hell I'd have guessed OJ Simpson if pressed for time. And I knew JR was partly picked to "break the color barrier" because he was a college graduate. Ugh, I feel nasty just typing this while white.. Yeah, let's go back to those times...

WTF with a category about a Broadway play entitled "Poets". Why didn't they call it "Playwrights"? Since when do poets write screenplays? No actual complaint here, I don't get the solve if you name the play. I'd have been more annoyed if it was Giesel (I guess you get to call him Seuss). I went the Jabberwocky route also.

Welcome aboard Eric - you thumped a good player to start and caught a break so the writer's judgment didn't sabotage you. Your vow of silence is not over soon I hope.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.