Adult Online Test: Apr 9, 10, 11

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Adult Online Test: Apr 9, 10, 11

Post by triviawayne »

davey wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:28 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:51 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:48 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:10 pm
I always think the tests are weighted more toward Art&lit and history
I agree, but I usually get those and miss the gimme pop culture questions.

I only got 50% of that LL Mid-Season Classic question about memoirs. Results are now up, so we can talk about it. Never heard of Educated but I just added myself to the list of NYPL holds* on both the print and e-book copies of Educated - sounds like an insane story! One of the tests asked about Hillbilly Elegy, so I could see them using this one

*Position 2415 of 2415 in holds queue on 686 copies
I look at the NYT best seller list each week to try and get popular books etched into my brain....
That's ambitious! I know the top books largely repeat week to week, still since there are 90 books a week on the various lists they publish, I long ago stopped doing anything more than glance at the top of the lists. I do read the column about bestsellers, "Inside the List," and of course many bestsellers are reviewed in the Times. And I've seen both the authors of Educated and Hillbilly Elegy talk about their books on TV. (J.D. Vance was on 60 Minutes last night.)
The most recent clue about the No. 1 fiction bestseller only required knowing
Spoiler
that crawdads is another word for crayfish
Women Authors for $1200
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... t=crawdads
(Delia Owens was also on CBS yesterday, on Sunday Morning...
it's not that ambitious. I only look at the best selling fiction and non-fiction top 5 books as shown on their website in the combined print & ebook:

https://www.nytimes.com/books/best-sellers/

just gives me an idea of what's popular and what that stuff is about and who wrote it
Total game show career losings = $171,522
antsvitale
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by antsvitale »

The online test is for anyone/anywhere, right? The cities make an impact if one were to qualify? That's how I understood it but would love to know the full process.

Thanks all!
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

antsvitale wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:56 pm The online test is for anyone/anywhere, right? The cities make an impact if one were to qualify? That's how I understood it but would love to know the full process.

Thanks all!
Yes, anyone can take the test. However I believe you must register and choose an audition city; if you are fortunate enough to pass the test and be selected for an audition, that city is where you will go.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

antsvitale wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:56 pm The online test is for anyone/anywhere, right? The cities make an impact if one were to qualify? That's how I understood it but would love to know the full process.

Thanks all!
1. take test online (yes, it's for everyone), and select audition city when you register
2. everyone who passes the test (rumor says 35/50 is passing, but we don't know for sure), who also picks the same audition city as you, goes into a random drawing to be invited to that city to audition in person
3. in person audition involves you and about 20 other people at a time, you take another test so they know you didn't find a way to cheat online, and play a mock game while also filling out some paperwork about yourself and doing an interview with (hopefully) Maggie
4. wait up to 18 months to get "the call" (although sometimes it takes longer)
5. GO ON JEOPARDY AND WIN!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:15 am

Thanks all!
1. take test online (yes, it's for everyone), and select audition city when you register
2. everyone who passes the test (rumor says 35/50 is passing, but we don't know for sure), who also picks the same audition city as you, goes into a random drawing to be invited to that city to audition in person
3. in person audition involves you and about 20 other people at a time, you take another test so they know you didn't find a way to cheat online, and play a mock game while also filling out some paperwork about yourself and doing an interview with (hopefully) Maggie
If #2 is correct, it seems there would be a distinct advantage in picking the city that had the fewest number picking it. So how do we figure out which city this might be? The city one might guess most people would have the least interest in visiting? However, I'm guessing TPTB have figured out ways to even out the odds, the most obvious being just spending different amounts of time in different cities.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:59 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:15 am

Thanks all!
If #2 is correct, it seems there would be a distinct advantage in picking the city that had the fewest number picking it. So how do we figure out which city this might be? The city one might guess most people would have the least interest in visiting? However, I'm guessing TPTB have figured out ways to even out the odds, the most obvious being just spending different amounts of time in different cities.
The fly in the ointment is that larger venues get more days, so it's not just a question of how many people pick a particular venue, but also of how many slots are available at that venue.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

In the Jeopardy web page under FAQs it says you cannot (may not) take the Online test if you have had an in-person audition in the last 18 mos. I went to one in Washington DC on 3/26/2018, so that would disqualify me? How ridiculous! I did well in the audition but never was called to be on Jeopardy!

From Jeopardy.com website:

If you attended an in-person interview with the Jeopardy! contestant team as a result of taking the online test or if you attended one at an authorized Jeopardy! contestant event (e.g., Jeopardy! Challenge), you are ineligible to take the online test for a minimum of 18 months from the date of that audition. Any attempt to take the online test during your period of ineligibility could result in disqualification.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

earendel wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:49 am

Thanks all!
Yes, anyone can take the test. However I believe you must register and choose an audition city; if you are fortunate enough to pass the test and be selected for an audition, that city is where you will go.

No, this is not true. It says if you have had an in-person audition in the previous 18 months, you may not take the Online Test!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:23 pm In the Jeopardy web page under FAQs it says you cannot (may not) take the Online test if you have had an in-person audition in the last 18 mos. I went to one in Washington DC on 3/26/2018, so that would disqualify me? How ridiculous! I did well in the audition but never was called to be on Jeopardy!

From Jeopardy.com website:

If you attended an in-person interview with the Jeopardy! contestant team as a result of taking the online test or if you attended one at an authorized Jeopardy! contestant event (e.g., Jeopardy! Challenge), you are ineligible to take the online test for a minimum of 18 months from the date of that audition. Any attempt to take the online test during your period of ineligibility could result in disqualification.
In your case, you could still be Called over the next 6 months. You should not take the Online Test, as the chances of you auditioning inside the 18 month window are too great.

That being said: the contestant co-ordinators have advised many members of this forum that if you are close (i.e. at the 17 month mark) that you should be OK to take the test; they just don't want you to audition less than 18 months apart.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

OK, I guess I won't take the Online Test, then.

But they have already finished taping shows that will air in this season, no? I assumed if I hadn't gotten called by now, then I was going to based on my in-person interview. In hindsight, I wished I had been more energetic in my audition.

I met Maggie Speak and and Jimmy from the Clue Crew when I went to an in-person audition for Sports Jeopardy! which I bombed (I'm much better at traditional Jeopardy!)
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

I do far better than the average Jeopardy! viewer when playing along at home...but I'm terrible at the clues than involve unscrambling words!
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:53 pm Don't feel like uploading a photo. I'll pass.

Just upload a photo of a gecko or something silly and if you pass the test and are invited, explain to them that you didn't want to give them a real photo unless they were going to actually call you for an in-person test.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

NoName84 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:31 pm If I can actually get an in-person audition this time around, I very well may be able to walk/run to my audition.
In which city? I took Metro from my house to the audition at a hotel in Washington DC last March and had a few block walk.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

triviawayne wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:58 pm
John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:32 pm
RJRouge wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:54 pm I can only hope I do as well as I've done the past few years, but also get through the random selection afterward for the auditions. My luck, however, is abysmal.
I'm curious to compare. Between 2009 and 2017, inclusive, I passed a J! online contestant quiz seven times without getting an invitation to an audition.

I finally broke the string last year, when I passed again in the spring and made it to an audition in June.

How does your record compare with that?
Ten passing scores, zero auditions
How do you know you passed if they never call you for an in-person audition????
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:57 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:18 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:31 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:05 pm I suck at this, but what the hell. What do I have to lose.
about 15 minutes
You're saving him money on car insurance?
Could switching to GEICO save you 15 percent or more on your car insurance?

Are GEICO commercials about as funny as shoving a knitting needle directly into your eyeball?
I think they are funny! (Most of the them, anyway!)
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:15 am Hump day ... the squirrels ... the caveman in the airport ... the opossum ... some of them are really clever.
I *&^%ing hate that camel...he's so annoying. Almost as annoying as the hipsters on the little stage discussion how surprising it is afterwards.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:34 pm OK, I guess I won't take the Online Test, then.

But they have already finished taping shows that will air in this season, no? I assumed if I hadn't gotten called by now, then I was going to based on my in-person interview. In hindsight, I wished I had been more energetic in my audition.

I met Maggie Speak and and Jimmy from the Clue Crew when I went to an in-person audition for Sports Jeopardy! which I bombed (I'm much better at traditional Jeopardy!)
If nothing changes, though, they'll start filming the opening episodes of next season in less than six months.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Pointer
Contributor

Post by Pointer »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:01 pm
You can review the questions and correct answers and compare them with the responses you gave.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Pointer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:23 am
A drop of golden sun wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:01 pm
You can review the questions and correct answers and compare them with the responses you gave.
Correct. Plus, even though they no longer tell us what is a passing score, conventional wisdom is that a score of 35/50 is passing. This goes back to the years of the old regional auditions, before the era of the online quiz, when they ALWAYS told us that 35/50 is passing. We don't know for sure if they have changed it, but those who report here that they received an invitation to an audition many times report their scores (as based on the "correct answers" that are always posted on this board); and I can't recall a time anyone ever claimed to get an invite with a score less than 35.

Based on that, if I get 35 right, I count it as a pass, invite or not.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

It really makes no difference what audition city I pick, does it?