Thursday, February 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, February 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:35 pm This was a good FJ. Very difficult to instaget, but should be able to suss out in 30 seconds. My mental tour of Texas border cities got me to Brownsville well within time. 8-)
Ditto. The year places the war in time as the Mexican-American War, which immediately draws attention to Texas rather than NM, AZ, CA. "Color" leads quickly to Brownsville. If that was named for an American soldier, then I learned something tonight.

Without doing the mental gymnastics of remembering a rock band etc. it's easier to remember a few TX border towns: El Paso, Laredo, and farthest south) Brownsville. Unless you count laREDo as "colorful geography," only Brownsville works.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was actually thinking it was a Mexican city. I think the "port of entry to the U.S." led me astray. After dismissing Juarez because it doesn't have a color in its name I spent some time trying to think of the colors in Spanish and which one might be in a border city name.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Only missing Line Item Veto and Playboy(Rolling Stone made much more sense!))
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (History), TripAdvisor, Baltimore, Traveler, (Numismatist), Pathfinder, The $100,000 Pyramid, Counting House, (Pontification)

There were a bunch of questions in this game that my mom and sister would be very upset at me if I missed them. (Hugh Grant, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Queer Eye, The $100,000 Pyramid.)

Worked out all three of the Daily Doubles perfectly.

Brownsville is in the very far south of Texas on the other side of the Mexican city of Matamoros.
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I once walked across the bridge from Brownsville to Matamoros a long time ago. I got about a block into the plaza there, said to myself "No way!" and turned around and went back over the bridge. At least I could claim I had been in Mexico.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:31 am Frankly, I don't remember Brownsville in particular coming up in the whole border story. I feel like I might have come up with it if it didn't have that part in the clue, but I focused on that part, and kept coming out in Arizona instead of Texas.
This is what I meant to say, because I couldn't pin the family separation controversy or the tear gassing, or the caravan hype to any one city except Tijuana/San Diego/not a color. I think I would have pulled it without the news mis-direction TOM.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Though I understand that "pope" = "pontiff" was an important part of the clue, any chance they accept "proselytizing" for "pontificating?"
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:31 am Frankly, I don't remember Brownsville in particular coming up in the whole border story. I feel like I might have come up with it if it didn't have that part in the clue, but I focused on that part, and kept coming out in Arizona instead of Texas.
alietr wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:22 pm I once walked across the bridge from Brownsville to Matamoros a long time ago. I got about a block into the plaza there, said to myself "No way!" and turned around and went back over the bridge. At least I could claim I had been in Mexico.
So you used the Brownsville port of entry but couldn't connect the dots?

I started with the nearest border crossings to me (San Diego/Tijuana, Mexicali/Calexico (heard of it, alietr?)), then remembering the war started in the east, in Texas, and the solution was at hand.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Can't say that I've heard of Brownsville before, nor do I see why I should have.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:45 pm Can't say that I've heard of Brownsville before, nor do I see why I should have.
So you could get this FJ right.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:58 am
I've only been skimming JBoard lately so it took a keyword search to determine that someone had already pointed out Eric's resemblance to Fred Willard.
Spouse and I are convinced he's Paul Manafort's younger brother - the resemblance is astonishing.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

nserven wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:46 pm Though I understand that "pope" = "pontiff" was an important part of the clue, any chance they accept "proselytizing" for "pontificating?"
Not a prayer! :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I got right to Texas, floundered and then landed on Amarillo, which is funny because I had just watched one of the teen tournament games right before this one, and that came up as a clue in the Spanish category

In other news, I have strep throat. Thanks a lot, Aer Lingus!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:04 pm In other news, I have strep throat. Thanks a lot, Aer Lingus!
More like Aer Fungus, amiright?
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:45 pm Can't say that I've heard of Brownsville before, nor do I see why I should have.
'Cause smokin' in the boys' room is cool.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OrangeSAM wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:40 pm
'Cause smokin' in the boys' room is cool.
And I actually know that song, both the Brownsville Station version and the Mötley Crüe cover. Don't see why that should lead me to think that Brownsville is a real place.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 42,000
50 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: history (DD), TripAdvisor, Traveler, Numismatist (DD), The $100,000 Pyramid, pontificating (DD)

Having lived in Texas for the last several years, I probably would have gotten it anyway, but hearing "Smokin' In The Boys' Room" on the radio the other day certainly didn't hurt.
Sprinkles are for winners.