LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by Linear Gnome »

I think this is one of the earlier times I've clinched non-relegation (as long as I don't forfeit). I'm currently sitting in the lowest spot in the promotion zone from C to B. I had been thinking of making this my last season in LL; I'm not sure if a promotion after a ridiculous number of seasons in C will change my mind.

The "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in" meme might be operative here.
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:05 am I think this is one of the earlier times I've clinched non-relegation (as long as I don't forfeit). I'm currently sitting in the lowest spot in the promotion zone from C to B. I had been thinking of making this my last season in LL; I'm not sure if a promotion after a ridiculous number of seasons in C will change my mind.

The "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in" meme might be operative here.
We have the same QPct and I'm in A. It took a long time (seven seasons in C, a battlefield promotion, then five seasons in B before I finally finished in the promotion zone) but I made it, and you can too.
After two losses (including to Blue Lion, who drank the beer in his avatar yesterday) I'm at .500 again, with a safe nine-point lead in the standings above relegation.
Hoping for a third lap
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I changed Easter to Good Friday, still got 9(5). (It cost me my private match, but I'm okay with that.)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I pulled out a lucky 9(6) - 6(5) win with a WAG on The Byrds and credit for 'pinch run'
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:55 pm I pulled out a lucky 9(6) - 6(5) win with a WAG on The Byrds and credit for 'pinch run'
Those two I knew. My WAG was on the reality shows, though I reasoned they had to be related in some way.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Easy set yesterday. Very few misses on my player tracker page. Somehow my opponent missed Monte Carlo despite a nearly 90% lifetime math get rate (I know this was a classified as business and econ, but figured anyone with math knowledge would know it).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:36 am Easy set yesterday. Very few misses on my player tracker page. Somehow my opponent missed Monte Carlo despite a nearly 90% lifetime math get rate (I know this was a classified as business and econ, but figured anyone with math knowledge would know it).
Monte Carlo simulations are used in many disciplines. I know of them from theoretical chemistry, but physicist Stanislaw Ulam originally developed them.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Thanks to studying pop music and geography I'm having the best season of my life, with the highest TCA in my rundle by four points. Unfortunately, I'm also having atrocious luck, with the highest CAA in my rundle by two points. The result? I'm in 6th place and will have to do well to avoid being stuck in B rundle yet again. C'est la vie!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:36 am Easy set yesterday. Very few misses on my player tracker page. Somehow my opponent missed Monte Carlo despite a nearly 90% lifetime math get rate (I know this was a classified as business and econ, but figured anyone with math knowledge would know it).
I've been wondering what some of the guesses were. I went with Hall of Mirrors
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:43 pm
I guessed at that one. If I hadn't said Monte Carlo, I probably would have said Trevi, but I didn't think a variety of tourists throwing coins in a fountain was quite complex enough a concept to be apt. In my mind's quick tour of Europe it eventually fell into place that a gambling destination might be just the thing, and I stopped worrying about it and settled on it as my answer.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:16 pm
I guessed at that one. If I hadn't said Monte Carlo, I probably would have said Trevi, but I didn't think a variety of tourists throwing coins in a fountain was quite complex enough a concept to be apt. In my mind's quick tour of Europe it eventually fell into place that a gambling destination might be just the thing, and I stopped worrying about it and settled on it as my answer.
Trevi Fountain for me and a wet wash in my match as my opponent and I 3-ed each other on it for misses and an overall tie result.

ETA: I'm .361 on math and .358 on bus/econ so easy to peg my lack of knowledge in the area. It was a dice roll for me with my opponent a whopping 2-4 for .500 in math while 7-9 for .778 in b/e
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

The Blarney Stone
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wasn't me, but somehow my brain said Monte Carlo and my fingers typed Monaco.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Riviera here. Kicked myself when I saw the answer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So my opponent’s best category is math and lives in Washington. Makes for two easy defensive decisions. So naturally she misses both. Luckily, I got three for heifer to escape with a 3(1)-2(1) victory. Clinging to a one point lead for the final promotion spot. Unfortunately, my next two matches are against the two people ahead of me in the standings.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I missed the gender transitions of the Wachowski Sisters ... I couldn't come up with anything reasonable as a guess and said 'Saw'.

I think it is great that Thorsten didn't clue about the transition at all - just a straightforward knowledge of their current names and 'film trilogy'. However, I thought it made it a hard question. The get rate tells me I'm wrong... Am I just clueless and did the transition get more coverage that I missed?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Welp, I've staved off relegation, so primary goal accomplished.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Dungeness crossed my mind for the crab question, but for some reason I thought that they were found farther north. I said fiddler.

I tried to think of all the synonyms for cow that I knew but couldn't think of anything better than pup. I have no idea how I didn't think of heifer, given that I was a fan of Rocko's Modern Life.

Worst of all I could have sworn that it was called the communicative property, or at least had a second c in the name. Math is my best category mainly because I'm good at remembering the basics of what I learned in grade school, so that was a heartbreaking miss even if my opponent gave me a 0.

The Matrix was my only get, which is odd considering that I am nearly the only person I know who didn't like the first one (I never saw the sequels) and I am so awful at film questions. I don't think that the Wochowskis transitioning received a whole lot of press, but I picked up that fact somewhere.

I had been doing so well this season and thought that I had a chance of finishing with 75 or more TCA for the first time ever, but now I need at least 10 correct to finish the season in order to accomplish that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

boson wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:40 am I missed the gender transitions of the Wachowski Sisters ... I couldn't come up with anything reasonable as a guess and said 'Saw'.

I think it is great that Thorsten didn't clue about the transition at all - just a straightforward knowledge of their current names and 'film trilogy'. However, I thought it made it a hard question. The get rate tells me I'm wrong... Am I just clueless and did the transition get more coverage that I missed?
I don’t follow Hollywood much but this seems like something I would have heard about, given the success of the series and the fact two siblings both made the switch. I knew something was up when just the first names were given, but the last names don’t do anything for me, either. A quick scan of their Wikipedia page suggests they are both very private people.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Peristalsis the other day was one of my proudest science gets of all time, and unlike sphygmomanometer, I didn't have to be wrong with it a couple of times before it was right. I even spelled it correctly, after first having it half confused with Paracelsus.

I'm almost certain I once read somewhere that a heifer was a spayed cow, but it doesn't seem there is a special word for such. Maybe it's a rare condition. I am surprised that a word for a young cow should be a term of insult. In any case, even a city boy of my years probably ought to know that a sow is a pig.

And oxen are cattle too?! Practically a university education from a single learnedleague question!
I'm smart and I want respect.