LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by StevenH »

I tied in the Art ML 4(4)-4(2) yesterday. Bad defense cost me a chance to move up to 2nd place in my group.

I was set to give my opponent a 3 on maja, saw that they had a high career batting average in the language category, and switched that one to a 0. That proved to be a dumb move. From the leaguewide get rate it would seem that assigning a 1 to the AIDS question based on it being guessable with no actual Art knowledge was a smart move, but nope. The two that my opponent did get were Mondrian and Pieta, to which I gave both 2 points. They both played easier than I thought that they would.

I feel dumb for this, but I recognized the Nazca lines but honestly never knew that the civilization that they're associated with is also called Nazca. I guessed Incan.

I agree that the Art ML feels on the easy side, but it's still nice to play decently in an ML. I also appreciate the fact that the Art in this ML has tilted more to the quiz bowl side than the general knowledge side, at least compared to regular season Art questions.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I was pleased with my top 5% finish in the Nerdy Jokes 2 1DS. I was pretty sure that the question about the Elvenking would be hardest, and I had that one nailed. For yearsdecades, my favorite tough trivia question to spring on fans of The Lord of the Rings has been to name the fathers of the eight members of the Fellowship of the Ring other than Gandalf, and Legolas's is always hardest.

I was going to post individual spoiler bars for the answers, but it took up too much space.

Solution:
Spoiler
Frodo son of Drogo
Samwise son of Hamfast
Meriadoc son of Saradoc
Peregrin son of Paladin
Aragorn son of Arathorn
Boromir son of Denethor
Gimli son of Glóin
And Legolas son of Thranduil
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

Well, yesterday's visual art hammered me. I had two Russian painters spring to mind, and I of course picked the wrong one.

As for the Botticelli, two things led me astray. One, that it specifically asked for the English title made me think it may have been better known as something else. Second, that it didn't focus on the central figure. Since I knew of one other work he did but couldn't remember what it looked like, my thought process was, "La Primavera... oh, that means Spring!" Whoops.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Won Visual Art but bummed about missing the body painting question because I recognized mehndi as henna (thanks, triviawayne on WWTBAM!) and just submitted that as my answer
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Got my highest ranking in a while in the Sleep 1DS. I took a chance and moneyed a couple of guesses that turned out to be right; that (almost) never happens. And then there was the drug name question. More of that, please.

Biorhythm was not accepted for Circadian rhythm. I feel like I make that mistake a lot. And for "Guess an African country", I should have gone with South Africa instead of going for a more obscure one. That's only 30 missed points, but it would have bumped me into the top ten.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Feeling dumb. Just wrote a question about Thomas Eakins’ fixation with the male ass for my hot and bothered art challenge, which referenced The Gross Clinic, but couldn’t come up with the title yesterday ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

I have no idea why I put Thailand for Indonesia yesterday. I misread Buddhism as Hinduism at first, thought Bali and Indonesia made perfect sense, read it again and saw Buddhism, and for reasons that I will never understand switched to Thailand.

But the good news is that I am now in 2nd in my group and am first in TCA. It feels really good to be doing well in a subject that I like. But I am only in 2nd place by 2 points, and my "non-quiz bowly" art knowledge is extremely lacking, so I am still biting my nails.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

StevenH wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:35 am But the good news is that I am now in 2nd in my group and am first in TCA. It feels really good to be doing well in a subject that I like. But I am only in 2nd place by 2 points, and my "non-quiz bowly" art knowledge is extremely lacking, so I am still biting my nails.
Good luck. I’m in third on MD11, no chance of making it to the finals. Rats!
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:20 am
StevenH wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:35 am But the good news is that I am now in 2nd in my group and am first in TCA. It feels really good to be doing well in a subject that I like. But I am only in 2nd place by 2 points, and my "non-quiz bowly" art knowledge is extremely lacking, so I am still biting my nails.
Thank you!

I got the all important win against the person who was in 1st in my group going into yesterday, so now I am in 1st. We are still tied by points, but I am leading in MPD, TMP, and TCA. It has been a fun ride!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

StevenH wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:10 am
Thank you!

I got the all important win against the person who was in 1st in my group going into yesterday, so now I am in 1st. We are still tied by points, but I am leading in MPD, TMP, and TCA. It has been a fun ride!
What group are you in? I've done pretty well - 5 right in 5 MDs, but never got all 6. Only missed a couple that I should have had right
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:17 am
StevenH wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:10 am
Thank you!

What group are you in? I've done pretty well - 5 right in 5 MDs, but never got all 6. Only missed a couple that I should have had right
About the same for me, too. Since I ended up in a downright weird group in which only two people (PetersonGG and me) averaged more than 2 correct per day (!!), there has been absolutely no drama about who would advance to the Finals. Frankly, this has dampened the enjoyment for me. Today, PetersonGG and I square off and I fully expect to lose (he's only dropped 5 questions in the prior 10 MDs) but it doesn't really affect the outcome.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:17 amWhat group are you in? I've done pretty well - 5 right in 5 MDs, but never got all 6. Only missed a couple that I should have had right
I am in group 126.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I salute those doing well in Visual Art...my Art % is at .321 which is not too far below league avg of .382. However, I decided not to play based on knowing none of the sample questions. I have followed along though, and man I would've been hard pressed to average 1 correct per day. Most of the answers I've never even heard of. Hats off to Woof and StevenH, and Morbeedo despite his third place.

I am in True Crime and, despite 24 TCA in 7 days (not bad for a D guy) I am only 3-4 and have 16 CAA in the last 3 days for 3 straight losses despite 11 TCA in the same time. Its fun though...
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I've noticed that the art ML started off rather easy and has gotten much harder, while the crime ML has done the opposite. I've gotten several 6-packs in there the past few days.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

I enjoyed the Art ML a lot.

I came third with 49 TCA, which seemed like a fair result for me. (There is no shame in losing to DhuwaliaR.) For me, this is now the second MiniLeague in which a player has forfeited the first 6 or more games, then joined shortly before playing me. If you're going to miss out so many days, it seems more courteous to skip the rest of the season. Rule 19.5 suggests that they may not be allowed to play the next ML either way. I probably would have earned third no matter what, but it feels as if it disrupts the standings considerably.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Welp, that Art ML Final certainly kicked my patoot. Guess I should feel glad that I got 2/12.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:13 pm Welp, that Art ML Final certainly kicked my patoot. Guess I should feel glad that I got 2/12.
Didn’t make the final, but got just 5 right. Should have had Klint because I just saw her show at the Guggenheim!
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

I thought the art minileague picked up in difficulty a little bit after the first few days, so I take back my previous complaint about it. It IS a shame that it being advertised as difficult seems to have scared a lot of people off of it, though.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Blew it on LGBT MD1 by talking myself out of Kinsey and Obergefell. Ugh.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I blew it on Day 2 by missing South Bend. I had just read up on Pete the day before and got the wrong 2 word Indiana city stuck in my head going with Fort Wayne. Turned a win into a tie...