LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by classicroadster »

Brutal day yesterday in 2000 Sports...I ended up with 0 correct, lost the Koin flip on Bruins/Red Wings. No chance on the CFL and halftime show questions. I could picture both Meb and Ochoa in my head but could not pull their names. My group collectively went 14/72 (0.194) with no forfeits....
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Is it too early to create a private league for LL81? I'd do it myself if I were a Commissioner's Circle member.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I'm either in a very difficult bracket for the LGBT ML or have just had terrible luck. Haven't won a single match, 2 ties, really haven't done TOO poorly on the questions themselves.
classicroadster

RJRouge wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:42 pm I'm either in a very difficult bracket for the LGBT ML or have just had terrible luck. Haven't won a single match, 2 ties, really haven't done TOO poorly on the questions themselves.
I've been lucky so far in this one, I'm 3-1-1 with only 14 TCA and 14 CAA...I've done better than I thought, although a lot of my pre-call answers have been used so far (Will & Grace, Ellen, Mapplethorpe).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I lucked into a 1(1)-0(1) win yesterday by lucking out on the 1 in 4 guess with the Australian Open.

I am probably not the best person to judge but many of the questions in this sports ML strike me as being a tad too much on the trivial side. Maybe not so bad if it was a 1DS just for that sport, but not the greatest for an ML that you would think would be a little more general. I don't think that it has been an abomination or anything, but still.
classicroadster

StevenH wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:54 am I lucked into a 1(1)-0(1) win yesterday by lucking out on the 1 in 4 guess with the Australian Open.

I am probably not the best person to judge but many of the questions in this sports ML strike me as being a tad too much on the trivial side. Maybe not so bad if it was a 1DS just for that sport, but not the greatest for an ML that you would think would be a little more general. I don't think that it has been an abomination or anything, but still.
Aussie Open is the first one of the year (then French, Wimbledon, US Open) so it was a good guess!

I'm a sports guy, easily my best category, but these questions have been difficult and no real hints in the clue writing. A good example was the NASCAR question yesterday where they gave the drivers states, which would lead one to believe the track is named for a state. I knew it was Darlington, but am not surprised it was only 10% correct. There have been a lot of obscure YEKIOYD questions for sure. But, I'm in first in Group 166 so I'm not going to complain too much...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

classicroadster wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:09 am I'm a sports guy, easily my best category, but these questions have been difficult and no real hints in the clue writing. A good example was the NASCAR question yesterday where they gave the drivers states, which would lead one to believe the track is named for a state. I knew it was Darlington, but am not surprised it was only 10% correct. There have been a lot of obscure YEKIOYD questions for sure. But, I'm in first in Group 166 so I'm not going to complain too much...
They're certainly hints, if you know where to look. Take the baseball question. The first pitcher had a BIG presence on the mound (Randy Johnson = Big Unit) and the other had a teammate who made a play that knocked your SOCKS off. Should narrow it down to BOS and CWS. If you know that Buerhle threw the perfecto, it does make it easier.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

The most unusual thing to happen to the White Sox in 2009 was not the perfect game, but Jermaine Dye and Paul Konerko hitting back to back 300th career homers.
classicroadster

econgator wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:20 pm
classicroadster wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:09 am I'm a sports guy, easily my best category, but these questions have been difficult and no real hints in the clue writing. A good example was the NASCAR question yesterday where they gave the drivers states, which would lead one to believe the track is named for a state. I knew it was Darlington, but am not surprised it was only 10% correct. There have been a lot of obscure YEKIOYD questions for sure. But, I'm in first in Group 166 so I'm not going to complain too much...
They're certainly hints, if you know where to look. Take the baseball question. The first pitcher had a BIG presence on the mound (Randy Johnson = Big Unit) and the other had a teammate who made a play that knocked your SOCKS off. Should narrow it down to BOS and CWS. If you know that Buerhle threw the perfecto, it does make it easier.
I agree, but most questions do not have many if any hints. I knew Randy Johnson threw a no hitter, and didn't catch the socks/sox hint, but even if I did I don't think I would've remembered Buerhle. My comment is more about the # of Bonds home runs (I was off by 1), number of strokes for Tigers win, name CFL team in Ottawa, naming 4 semi obscure MLS players from 2009 and name their team (I knew Mathis, and had heard of the others but could never pick them out of a lineup). I'm not really complaining, as I've been doing pretty well and lead my group in TCA. But the questions do seem to have fewer ways into them in general than the normal LL questions.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

In the sports ML I lost out on two 50 50 90 guesses yesterday: Lesnar over St. Pierre and Germany over Italy (though I really had no idea on the latter and was lucky even to get that close). However, I was attending UGA in 2008 when they lost to Fresno State in the baseball championship, so I was on that one. It got me a 2(1)-0(1) win.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

can someone post the sports questions in here?
classicroadster

CasketRomance wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:46 am can someone post the sports questions in here?
You can view them on learned league website, except for todays.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

classicroadster wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:23 am
CasketRomance wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:46 am can someone post the sports questions in here?
Indeed. Here's Day 8 (yesterday), and you can click back through to the previous days.

https://www.learnedleague.com/mini/matc ... 0ssports&8

The calendar on the front page is a good way to navigate past quizzes.

https://www.learnedleague.com/
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

thanx, dude
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

StevenH wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:54 am I lucked into a 1(1)-0(1) win yesterday by lucking out on the 1 in 4 guess with the Australian Open.

not 1 in 4, but 1 in 3 since us open is final gs of the year and the question asks about non calendar year
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 am
Indeed. Here's Day 8 (yesterday), and you can click back through to the previous days.

https://www.learnedleague.com/mini/matc ... 0ssports&8

The calendar on the front page is a good way to navigate past quizzes.

https://www.learnedleague.com/
thanx...i appreciate that...didn't realise the questions were open to the public
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I have a couple of referrals for the upcoming season. If you are interested and can commit to playing every match without forfeiting or cheating, PM me ASAP.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Finished 2nd in LGBT Group 128. Shoulda had 7 right in the championship but stupidly submitted Tim Daley for Tom, when last name should always be enough! Wasn't gonna win anyway, but still.
classicroadster

I ended up 5th in LGBT Group 142, which I thought was pretty good for me. I only knew 3.5 in the final (culture club, Semenya, Von Stueben, and Daley but not his husband).

By virtue of just submitting today, I can't be caught and I've won Group 166 of 2000 Sports and look forward to the championship. Based on the difficulty of the regular season, I'm interested in seeing tomorrows questions.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

classicroadster wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:39 pm I ended up 5th in LGBT Group 142, which I thought was pretty good for me. I only knew 3.5 in the final (culture club, Semenya, Von Stueben, and Daley but not his husband).

By virtue of just submitting today, I can't be caught and I've won Group 166 of 2000 Sports and look forward to the championship. Based on the difficulty of the regular season, I'm interested in seeing tomorrows questions.
Good luck!

I pulled Von Steuben from some vague memory of hearing him come up on Jeopardy. Otherwise never encountered that fact in school