LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:52 am
The only change I can see if moving message board posts off the main page. Was there some other change?
That's pretty much it. I liked being able to see what had new posts quickly. Now I have to dig and go back and forth a bit.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

Losing to a 9(6) on day 1? That's more like it. I was tempted near the end to throw games to stay out of A, because sometimes it's just not fun.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Koin was on fire yesterday and I did not know it was 3 sided at times...Measles/Mumps/Rubella, Help!/Hard Days Night, Athens/Sparta all contributing to a 1(2)-4(4) loss...I should've had Athens at least as I knew Sparta was somewhat inland, but other than knowing I'm not sure how I could know that one of the MMR trio is an infection and the others are diseases (all caused by namesake viruses) and without seeing any Beatles movies, Help certainly sounded more like a title where the group was attempting to escape screaming fans.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Interesting first day. I won 9(5)-3(2) and was very surprised my opponent got so few correct. I found it to be a difficult day to defend. There didn't seem to be a clear zero-pointer, nor was there a clear three-pointer. All six questions seemed gettable, but not easy.

My miss was going with "Help!" over "A Hard Day's Night." Pretty surprised so many people picked the correct one between these two movies.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:04 am but other than knowing I'm not sure how I could know that one of the MMR trio is an infection and the others are diseases (all caused by namesake viruses)
The hint that stuck out for me was German physician. Rubella is German measles.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:04 am Interesting first day. I won 9(5)-3(2) and was very surprised my opponent got so few correct. I found it to be a difficult day to defend. There didn't seem to be a clear zero-pointer, nor was there a clear three-pointer. All six questions seemed gettable, but not easy.
Honestly, I thought Canterbury Tales was a slam-dunk 0. Quite surprised it only hit 50%.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:08 am
classicroadster wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:04 am but other than knowing I'm not sure how I could know that one of the MMR trio is an infection and the others are diseases (all caused by namesake viruses)
The hint that stuck out for me was German physician. Rubella is German measles.
That's what decided it for me, too.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

My opponent's 2nd worst category is Literature and of course he binks Canterbury Tales. Though judging by this board, I should have realized it was easier than other Lit categories. I snatched a tie from the jaws of victory.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:04 am Interesting first day. I won 9(5)-3(2) and was very surprised my opponent got so few correct. I found it to be a difficult day to defend. There didn't seem to be a clear zero-pointer, nor was there a clear three-pointer. All six questions seemed gettable, but not easy.

My miss was going with "Help!" over "A Hard Day's Night." Pretty surprised so many people picked the correct one between these two movies.
Is Help! an actual musical comedy? Because I put it down, not knowing ANYTHING about musical comedies (from that time or not). I'm just really surprised my guess was an actual thing if true.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
classicroadster

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:24 am

Is Help! an actual musical comedy? Because I put it down, not knowing ANYTHING about musical comedies (from that time or not). I'm just really surprised my guess was an actual thing if true.
I looked this up afterwards, but yes it's described as a slapstick comedy similar to A Hard Days Night. Also, same director but Help! came out in 1965 not 1964. A Hard Days Night is B&W and Help! is color.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

My brain saved me on one question, but still blanked on another.

Georgia! It must be Georgia. What's the capitol? Wait a minute... (Tell daughter Sophie that she is reading too late...) <face palm> Bulgaria!

I said Roseola, even though it felt not quite right. Why I didn't review the vaccinations in my head, I do not know. MMR and TPD are no-brainers most of the time.

Still managed a victory in B Magnolia and my private rundle. :-)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:32 am
1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:24 am

I looked this up afterwards, but yes it's described as a slapstick comedy similar to A Hard Days Night. Also, same director but Help! came out in 1965 not 1964. A Hard Days Night is B&W and Help! is color.
I thought the opening to A Hard Day's Night was pretty iconic, with the Fab Four running from their fans. My film score is over 75% though, I may not be the best judge of difficulty there... It's spoofed a lot too (Austin Powers, Animaniacs...)

The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It did not take me long to be in midseason form with a 4(4) - 6(3) loss. For the girl name I wrote Kosovo in thinking Pristina reminded me of Christine(a). I worked on the other questions and then went back to it. Oh, Sofia! Instead of making the change then I instead assigned my defense points. When I removed Kosovo I wrote Hungary instead of Bulgaria in not taking the time to catch my country error. So preventable and so typical of me.

Just send me back to C where I belong.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Lots of people names their kids Paris, right? I made it through Western, Northern, and Eastern Europe, but never made it down to the Balkans. I figured their names were too weird. Cost me a loss to my cria, o ignominious fate!

Austin Powers did not get rubella, which makes me wonder about his chosen profession. He still got a 9(5)-8(5) victory.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:43 am Lots of people names their kids Paris, right? I made it through Western, Northern, and Eastern Europe, but never made it down to the Balkans. I figured their names were too weird. Cost me a loss to my cria, o ignominious fate!

Austin Powers did not get rubella, which makes me wonder about his chosen profession. He still got a 9(5)-8(5) victory.
Oh man! You got the same number of correct answers as AP and lost to him? What a missed opportunity!

On the name question I thought of London and Paris right off the bat and thought I was going to have to pick between those two. Then I took a step back and went through all the European capitals. When I got to Sofia I knew that was much more likely than either Paris or London, and the cognate thing really cinched it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:49 am
alietr wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:43 am Austin Powers did not get rubella, which makes me wonder about his chosen profession. He still got a 9(5)-8(5) victory.
Oh man! You got the same number of correct answers as AP and lost to him? What a missed opportunity!
I did not make this clear ... this wasn't my match. He's in A Central and I'm in MagA. I just noticed it in my player tracker.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Q2. SCIENCE - What is the name of the infection, shared with its namesake virus, that was first identified as a disease distinct from other disorders such as scarlet fever in 1814 by George de Maton, a German physician?

I couldn't think of anything for this, then came up with a few ideas, then Rubella popped into my head. Once I submitted, and found this to be correct, it hit me how that is German Measles. My sub-conscious was working for me.

Q6. GAMES/SPORT - Former MLB pitcher Randy Moffitt, who played for the Giants, Astros, and Blue Jays during his 12-year career that began in 1972, is the younger brother of what trailblazing sports legend (full name required)?

This one was fun to figure out. I never heard of anyone else in sports named Moffitt, then started thinking of people of the era who changed their names such as Lew Alcindor and Cassius Clay. Then I thought about how maybe there was a different name because it was a woman who got married. Figured on approximate ages and came up with Billie Jean King.

I've noticed the Commish doesn't tend to waste any words, and that thought has really helped me the last few seasons.

Getting questions with 33% and 26% get rates--feeling good!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I'm just lucky I managed to figure out most of them, because I ended up at 7(5) - 6(3). I just hate it when my opponent plays against type.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

mennoknight wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:19 am Losing to a 9(6) on day 1? That's more like it. I was tempted near the end to throw games to stay out of A, because sometimes it's just not fun.
I lost to the same score, but down in C....
classicroadster

ouachiouat wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:20 pm
mennoknight wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:19 am Losing to a 9(6) on day 1? That's more like it. I was tempted near the end to throw games to stay out of A, because sometimes it's just not fun.
I lost to the same score, but down in C....
Somebody in D Magnolia 2 lost to my second ever beer yesterday...I got somewhat lucky with the questions being a combo of wheelhouse for me and doing a good job of sussing out the hints. I spent two weeks in France last summer, and baguette came quickly as I ran through boulangerie items. I was just reading up on the War of 1812, so whig was instaget although I likely would've gone with it anyway since AH is a strong category. I'm a civil engineer, and I know the AIA is the architecture equivalent of PE, so that was an educated guess even though I'd never heard of any of those people. Atari...bit of a guess but my thought was, the word they are looking for wasn't english, so what asian word was created in the 70s by an electrical engineer? Ink was an instaget since I've learned that cephalopod= octopus/squid...For Q6, I knew those names were basketball players and there is an old-school rap song that I think ESPN or ABC plays in their commercials or coverage called Basketball so I went with that. I couldn't have told you the artist or that it was a legitimate song and not just created for TV... Great day for me!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I think my goal this season is to win 5 games.