LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by morbeedo »

I'm so dumb. Wesley / Methodism just won't stick with me

I had Nico immediately, then thought about Warhol during the day, but ultimately went with Nico. I got lucky and won with 4 right answers, but the 9(6) was right there!
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

Say it loud, say it proud: A rundles suck
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

sarisson wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:17 pm I also started with "magazine" and switched to "almanac." Cost me a 9(6) but I managed a 9(5) and a win. I now have a winning record in A (!) and the second-best defense in all of Horizon... second only to the player who leads all 12,000+ LLamas.
Same here, because I bit on the "al-" beginning of the word. You learn something every day.

A couple of weeks ago, TCM aired It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Then I looked at imdb.com and was amazed at how many comedy greats were in that movie, many of them (e.g., The Three Stooges) in bit parts.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

If the question had simply asked who mentored the Velvet Underground, I would have answered Andy Warhol without hesitation. It's one of the only things I know about the group. Asking about Drella threw me off entirely, which I guess shows how little I know about them beyond a pub quiz level.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mennoknight wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:45 am Say it loud, say it proud: A rundles suck
Oh yeah.

I still have a shot to make my goal of 5 wins, but's it's looking less and less likely.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I thought I had a pretty good shot at a rare (for me) six pack, but I stupidly wrote cigna instead of cignus and changed my mind for no good reason from Warhol, who I thought of immediately and confidently, to John Cage, and my six pack became a 4 (4) 5 (3) loss. There's a lesson there, third or fourth time I've learned it.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

mrparadise wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:38 pm I thought I had a pretty good shot at a rare (for me) six pack, but I stupidly wrote cigna instead of cignus and changed my mind for no good reason from Warhol, who I thought of immediately and confidently, to John Cage, and my six pack became a 4 (4) 5 (3) loss. There's a lesson there, third or fourth time I've learned it.
That John Cale was a member of Velvet Underground could have been playing on your subconscious.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RandyG wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:50 pm
mrparadise wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:38 pm I thought I had a pretty good shot at a rare (for me) six pack, but I stupidly wrote cigna instead of cignus and changed my mind for no good reason from Warhol, who I thought of immediately and confidently, to John Cage, and my six pack became a 4 (4) 5 (3) loss. There's a lesson there, third or fourth time I've learned it.
That John Cale was a member of Velvet Underground could have been playing on your subconscious.
What goes on in your mind...
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:47 pm
RandyG wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:50 pm
What goes on in your mind...

John Cale was part of the question so I knew it wasn't him (actually I'm probably capable of missing that, but it didn't happen this time). I vaguely knew that John Cage was an experimental, avant garde musician who was around roughly when the Velvets were and I guess I convinced myself he was their mentor. So, yes, maybe the Cale-Cage confusion did me in.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Sorry, that was my Velvets joke :D
sillymoose
Valued Contributor

Post by sillymoose »

Came very close to my first time ever getting 5 correct in one MD (had no idea on Warhol). But ended up going with Cygnet instead of Cygnus and didn't get credit for it. Still managed a 5(4)-3(3) win because it's much easier to win games in E lol
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I used to make an effort to keep up with the New York Times bestseller list, but gave up some time after the number of categories really exploded. So I felt quite clever when, on rereading the question about the two bestsellers, the significance of the phrase "abruptly withdrawn from scheduled publication" dawned on me and I said "aha, they're ebooks!". Then the only question was how to defend. My first reaction was to make it the three, as my opponent's literature score wasn't very high, but I decided this question was more a test of intelligence than of knowledge, so I made it a two so as not to insult him. I expected to get at least five right, anyway, especially when I came across the word "hundredweight" in the course of my daily reading, which served to assure me I was right on with "centuryweight".

There's a happy ending! I actually did defend pretty well, so got by 4(3) to 3(3).
I'm smart and I want respect.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Lefty wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:31 am I used to make an effort to keep up with the New York Times bestseller list, but gave up some time after the number of categories really exploded. So I felt quite clever when, on rereading the question about the two bestsellers, the significance of the phrase "abruptly withdrawn from scheduled publication" dawned on me and I said "aha, they're ebooks!". Then the only question was how to defend. My first reaction was to make it the three, as my opponent's literature score wasn't very high, but I decided this question was more a test of intelligence than of knowledge, so I made it a two so as not to insult him. I expected to get at least five right, anyway, especially when I came across the word "hundredweight" in the course of my daily reading, which served to assure me I was right on with "centuryweight".

There's a happy ending! I actually did defend pretty well, so got by 4(3) to 3(3).
Probably best to submit before your daily reading, not really fair to the rest of the league if you are able to confirm or disconfirm your answers before submitting.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Lost the Koin flip on Teen/Young Adult, which in retrospect was stupid as, the parent of a teen daughter and the husband of a woman who works in high schools and reads a lot of the books her students are reading, I hear talk about YA novels all the time. Cost me 2 pts in a 3(3)-4(3) loss, dropping me out of promotion from D Magnolia 2. My opponent, with his 30% games avg, got Chemin de Fer (only person in the rundle to get it) but missed the YA q with a 68% lit avg.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I was going to go with ebooks, self-published, or first time authors because of debut being in the question...but knew YA was a recent thing and got the points.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:10 am
Lefty wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:31 am I used to make an effort to keep up with the New York Times bestseller list, but gave up some time after the number of categories really exploded. So I felt quite clever when, on rereading the question about the two bestsellers, the significance of the phrase "abruptly withdrawn from scheduled publication" dawned on me and I said "aha, they're ebooks!". Then the only question was how to defend. My first reaction was to make it the three, as my opponent's literature score wasn't very high, but I decided this question was more a test of intelligence than of knowledge, so I made it a two so as not to insult him. I expected to get at least five right, anyway, especially when I came across the word "hundredweight" in the course of my daily reading, which served to assure me I was right on with "centuryweight".

Probably best to submit before your daily reading, not really fair to the rest of the league if you are able to confirm or disconfirm your answers before submitting.
I also try to do this so this situation doesn't arise, but it sounds like lefty stuck with the incorrect "centuryweight." So no harm, no foul as Alex would say!

I also said centuryweight and missed Craig Kilborn. Both these answers were much more obvious upon seeing the correct answers.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:08 am

I also try to do this so this situation doesn't arise, but it sounds like lefty stuck with the incorrect "centuryweight." So no harm, no foul as Alex would say!

I also said centuryweight and missed Craig Kilborn. Both these answers were much more obvious upon seeing the correct answers.
Interesting, I had assumed he got credit for centuryweight as I didn’t know his LL name so couldn’t check. Google gives me several hits that would seem to show it as a valid alternate, such as the following:

http://www.pinnacle-expo.com/glossary.html
CWT: "Century weight" or "hundred weight" is the total weight of a shipment divided by 100 to obtain billable weight. 5125lbs / 100 = 52 CWT
I think you should definitely appeal this, Kirk. I also really need the Rundle leader to lose so you’d be helping us both out!
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Well that's been a matter of much debate on the site, but my reading is not in the way of trivia research, I simply read a lot because it's what I do. If a rule was introduced mandating, say, a one hour window for submission once you have opened the questions, I'd adhere but I'd find it much less enjoyable because I do like to let the things rattle around and I'd guess roughly I score a half question better per day for letting it percolate.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Painful 2(3)-3(3) loss for me yesterday. I absolutely knew who the first host of The Daily Show was but stupidly put Craig Claiborne (the famous NYT restaurant critic) down for an answer. Bah! Alietr: this site really needs a face palm emoticon. Just sayin’
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:29 pm Painful 2(3)-3(3) loss for me yesterday. I absolutely knew who the first host of The Daily Show was but stupidly put Craig Claiborne (the famous NYT restaurant critic) down for an answer. Bah! Alietr: this site really needs a face palm emoticon. Just sayin’