LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by triviawayne »

I'm a little surprised Atari had the low get rate. With the popularity of classic gaming, I thought all ages would know who Nolan Bushnell is.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

Was I foolish to assign 0 points to what I considered a relatively easy question in one of my opponent's better categories? Even if I had picked the other fashion house I was considering instead of Gucci, it would have still been a tie. I know it's part of the game, but I hate being so bad at assigning points. I know things, but I am a TERRIBLE gambler.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

RJRouge wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:33 am Was I foolish to assign 0 points to what I considered a relatively easy question in one of my opponent's better categories? Even if I had picked the other fashion house I was considering instead of Gucci, it would have still been a tie. I know it's part of the game, but I hate being so bad at assigning points. I know things, but I am a TERRIBLE gambler.
Lifestyle is kind of a crapshoot category, more of a miscellaneous. Do you know how they did on fashion questions in the past?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:25 pm I'm a little surprised Atari had the low get rate. With the popularity of classic gaming, I thought all ages would know who Nolan Bushnell is.
I think you may be overestimate how popular it is. Still very much a niche thing. What percentage of people play video games of any kind? I bet it's considerably less than 50%.

Successful first week for me. I tied yesterday, so 2-1-0 for the week.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:52 am Successful first week for me. I tied yesterday, so 2-1-0 for the week.
I got my first non-loss yesterday with, like you, a 4(4)-4(4) tie. We also both got the same questions correct. :)
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

badgerfellow wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:36 am
RJRouge wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:33 am Was I foolish to assign 0 points to what I considered a relatively easy question in one of my opponent's better categories? Even if I had picked the other fashion house I was considering instead of Gucci, it would have still been a tie. I know it's part of the game, but I hate being so bad at assigning points. I know things, but I am a TERRIBLE gambler.
Lifestyle is kind of a crapshoot category, more of a miscellaneous. Do you know how they did on fashion questions in the past?
Oh, I put 0 on the geography question. I put 3 on the fashion question. The only one they miss? Geography, which they had a rather high get rate for.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

It took me a while to realize the answer for the geography question didn't necessarily need to be a country on the Arabian Peninsula. Once I got past that mental block, Somalia seemed obvious (and it just came up in Jeopardy! the day before).

My answer for the Dimbleby brothers company was Cambridge Analytica. I had absolutely no clue, but then had the thought that it could possibly be a current events question.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

RJRouge wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:23 pm
badgerfellow wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:36 am
Oh, I put 0 on the geography question. I put 3 on the fashion question. The only one they miss? Geography, which they had a rather high get rate for.
Oh I see. Yeah, that one is more straightforward. That's LearnedLeague though; stuff happens.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:52 am
If you tied, you aren't 2-1-0.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:41 pm It took me a while to realize the answer for the geography question didn't necessarily need to be a country on the Arabian Peninsula. Once I got past that mental block, Somalia seemed obvious (and it just came up in Jeopardy! the day before).
There are two geography-related facts that I often have to remind myself: although it is far to the east, relative to North America, South America has a Pacific (not just Atlantic) Ocean coast and although it is far to the west, relative to Asia, Africa has an Indian (not just Atlantic) Ocean coast.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:25 pm I'm a little surprised Atari had the low get rate. With the popularity of classic gaming, I thought all ages would know who Nolan Bushnell is.
I think you may be overestimate how popular it is. Still very much a niche thing. What percentage of people play video games of any kind? I bet it's considerably less than 50%.

I think you underestimate it. A few years ago, money spent on video games in a year surpassed that of movies; there are now "sports" leagues of video games; I know of more arcades/barcades than existed 20 years ago; and the prices of classic games went to the point where I stopped adding to my library (a collection I began about 20 years ago when I decided I missed playing Atari).

Even though there isn't currently a Pac-Man like phenomenon out there right now, it is a huge industry.

ETA: I meant to put this in after the "underestimate" part - while you are correct about less than 50%, it is 42% of the American population that plays regularly.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I toyed with Somalia but went back to my first love of Yemen I think because "southeast coast" seemed a weird way to describe it. On further thought, there's really no other way, but this further thought didn't take place till after I had submitted. Back when there were two Yemens, I remember that East and West were just as much north and south (or vice-versa; it's been a while), so that probably colored my gut reaction. Lucky for me, I have a pretty good geography score, so my opponent zeroed me on that Q.

I guessed right on Atari because it seemed to mesh well with the backgrounds of the two guys mentioned, and once I thought of it the fact that "atari" had some other meaning rang familiar. My Go experience has been limited to playing reversi/othello on a chess board with go stones. I'm certainly of the generation to be very familiar with Atari, but I never really played it, nor Intellivision, though I did like those ads of theirs with George Plimpton.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 pm
If you tied, you aren't 2-1-0.
You know how everyone except the U.S. writes dates out in the logical order of D-M-Y? I guess I do the same thing for LL records: W-T-L.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:59 pm I think you underestimate it. A few years ago, money spent on video games in a year surpassed that of movies; there are now "sports" leagues of video games; I know of more arcades/barcades than existed 20 years ago; and the prices of classic games went to the point where I stopped adding to my library (a collection I began about 20 years ago when I decided I missed playing Atari).
No question classic arcade/video games are trendy right now, but I'm thinking the popularity is probably along the lines of vinyl records and film photography: still a niche thing rather than truly mainstream. I could certainly be wrong. Or another possibility is that people like to play classic video games, but aren't terribly interested in the historical aspect.

By the way, I work with a guy who has a massive classic game collection. I told him about this question. He knew it, of course, and went on to tell me about the genesis of Tengen, which was something I hadn't heard about before.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I figured it was Somalia, but got thrown by the directional information and put Eritrea :oops:

Gulf of Aden --> Somali pirates
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:58 pm I figured it was Somalia, but got thrown by the directional information and put Eritrea :oops:

Gulf of Aden --> Somali pirates
The pirates are the main reason I know the gulfs name
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Nobody else read cephalopod, thought of whales (I know, cetacean) and put ambergris? I was so confident too, though how melanin, generally a skin pigment, morphs into whatever sort of material ambergris is I didn't ponder long enough. Didn't affect the match but doesn't bode well for the full season, nor does swapping out Athens for Carthage. Still 2-1-0 so far (WLT, Kirk).
In and out of the pool four times
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I read cephalopodic and thought of ink but then kept thinking (usually a good idea, but sometimes not) and decided cephalopodic referred to whales so I changed to ambergris but on further reflection decided it must be sperm and went with that. I lost the match but would have lost anyway.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Finally got my first win of the season, 4(2)-0(0). Movies and TV aren't my strong suit, but being a '90s kid I definitely knew My So-Called Life and even watched some episodes when it first appeared on Netflix. And Seven Year Itch didn't sound like a medical condition, but I had nothing better.

I never would have guessed a non-Dutch speaking country on the New Zealand clue.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

StevenH wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:09 am ... And Seven Year Itch didn't sound like a medical condition, but I had nothing better.
It did hit the exact same beats as a recent Final Jeopardy tho, so I'm a little surprised at the under 50% get rate.
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6192
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)