LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by classicroadster »

I'd like to thank the SHC for my win yesterday as someone used machiatto in a question and the link between that word and spotted italian coffee is seared in my brain. This is my 7th season in LL, and my first "recycled" question gave me an instaget on mail. I pulled Nashville out of somewhere, although I do remember that it was nominated for Best Picture the same year as Jaws...I noticed there had not been a Classical Music question yet so I went with Young American Composers. I realize after looking at the names they do sound more british but I was never getting there, or the poet for that matter. I put down 60 minutes without a thought and when I saw the answer I realized that I had skipped completely over the "moderator" part which obviously did not fit...Won 3(3) - 2(1) to keep my winning streak alive and move up to 5th.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I had young Irish poets.

Flipped my Koin on Meet the Press/Face the Nation.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

SBurrus wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:51 am Does anyone know why today is an off-day for LL?
geek bowl, etc. in Vegas. LL Live is an event this weekend, the Commish can't do both that and the online work required.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Young Aussie Painters

I thought there might be some wordplay with the acronym.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

SBurrus wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:51 am Does anyone know why today is an off-day for LL?
Commissioner's birthday
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I literally answered the clue of Young British Artists based on the last sentence of the clue. I’d never heard the term but I knew Cornelia Parker did that installation with Tilda Swindon & I think she was young when she did it. This is my first time in an A Rundle.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:11 am I looked at the BNSF question 4 times to make sure he really only wanted one of the letters. I was prepared with the full name.
I was prepared with the names of the railroads that merged into Burlington Northern in the late 1960s.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:37 am I said "Young English Artists."
Exact same for me. I had to look up each named artist after submitting to see if there'd be any chance Thorsten would take it. I stopped when I came across one that was Scottish...

Won a squeaker yesterday 3(3)-2(3). I'll take it. You don't win too many game in an A rundle with only three correct answers.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:38 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:37 am I said "Young English Artists."
Exact same for me. I had to look up each named artist after submitting to see if there'd be any chance Thorsten would take it. I stopped when I came across one that was Scottish...

Won a squeaker yesterday 3(3)-2(3). I'll take it. You don't win too many game in an A rundle with only three correct answers.
Nope, as I'm proving this season :mrgreen:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

FIDE: Ugh! I scribbled chess on my paper but went with sailing for no good reason. I focused on the D, thinking the E would be a modifier. Usually in an French acronym, the "de" doesn't count for a letter. I thought about "danse", too. Oh well, I won anyway but barely
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:55 pm FIDE: Ugh! I scribbled chess on my paper but went with sailing for no good reason. I focused on the D, thinking the E would be a modifier. Usually in an French acronym, the "de" doesn't count for a letter. I thought about "danse", too. Oh well, I won anyway but barely
I considered chess, but France-founded and Greek-headquartered didn't fit with my idea that a chess authority would be Nordic or Russian. I felt compelled by "competitive activity" to steer away from athletics, but Athens made me think Olympics. I eventually decided on dressage, which felt like something someone would avoid calling a sport, but was still an Olympic event. Plus I imagined the E could stand for a French translation of "equestrian." JenningsK and I both got the easier half of the day's questions right and defended them properly, to a tie at 2(3).

"______ on a ______" combined with "classical music" to make me think "Variations on a Theme." I thought there could be some clever change of the first word, and submitted "Theme." Once the answer was revealed, I recognized it as something I'd heard before, but nothing I'd read into enough to have it anchored to any particular association in my mind. Since "Bang on a Can" was a familiar name to me, I figured Ken would get it. Not so, to my relief.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

The FIDE has been mentioned on this board a few times, but I think it's been about 3 years since the last mention.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Go play my general knowledge quiz on the Alpaca Farm
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:52 pm JenningsK and I both got the easier half of the day's questions right and defended them properly, to a tie at 2(3).
Jeez, I would have beaten JenningsK yesterday, and instead I lose to a nobody. I coulda been a contendah.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:52 pm

"______ on a ______" combined with "classical music" to make me think "Variations on a Theme." I thought there could be some clever change of the first word, and submitted "Theme." Once the answer was revealed, I recognized it as something I'd heard before, but nothing I'd read into enough to have it anchored to any particular association in my mind. Since "Bang on a Can" was a familiar name to me, I figured Ken would get it. Not so, to my relief.
I wasn't very confident that "post-minimalist" referred to budgets, or what actually did follow minimalism but something like "Airs on a shoestring" was still the best thought I had. Although classical music was my opponent's best category, I thought there were better options to zero out there.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Lefty wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:35 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:52 pm

I wasn't very confident that "post-minimalist" referred to budgets, or what actually did follow minimalism but something like "Airs on a shoestring" was still the best thought I had. Although classical music was my opponent's best category, I thought there were better options to zero out there.
True to form, I got the question that polled 9% and missed Q1, which was up around 75%. I was lucky to have lived in NYC when the NYT used to run stories about the Bang on a Can collective, so NP there. Now if only I knew something about TV shows...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Thank you crazy film score...saved me from a tie as I made a dumb mistake on Oldboy; opponent zeroed it. (Japanese. Next! *submit* ...oh. Duh. Oldboy wouldn't have outscored Seven Samurai...)

I'm surprised people didn't catch on with the George Strait clue, though, 29% guessing Texas. -I- know the gimmick to that one even (though I picked Oklahoma)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:56 pm Thank you crazy film score...saved me from a tie as I made a dumb mistake on Oldboy; opponent zeroed it. (Japanese. Next! *submit* ...oh. Duh. Oldboy wouldn't have outscored Seven Samurai...)
The question was about a list of the 21st century's greatest films.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:19 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:56 pm Thank you crazy film score...saved me from a tie as I made a dumb mistake on Oldboy; opponent zeroed it. (Japanese. Next! *submit* ...oh. Duh. Oldboy wouldn't have outscored Seven Samurai...)
The question was about a list of the 21st century's greatest films.
Spirited Away then.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The MD 10 head scratcher for me was that only 18% got Nellie Melba (which I thought was a trivia staple), but 56% came up with either nasty, brutish or short (which was a quote I was completely unfamiliar with). Luckily I was playing FrankJ and that was the single question we both missed. I'll take the tie!