LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by reddpen » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:58 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 am
Serious ennui upon coming into work, logging in to my computer and finding the LearnedLeague site down. What the heck am I going to do?
Read the VBWAs, especially #27.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:23 am

reddpen wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:58 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 am
Serious ennui upon coming into work, logging in to my computer and finding the LearnedLeague site down. What the heck am I going to do?
Read the VBWAs, especially #27.
A few good candidates. I had to pick this one for #1 since it made me laugh out loud:
The recording industry abbreviation "b/w," which often appeared on (or referred to) specific 45 rpm singles, stands for what phrase?
A: banjo warning

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:09 pm

Well, after a bit of a disastrous start, I've now won 4 in a row, but only managed to move up 1 spot in the standings. I'm sitting in 21st place, in the first relegation spot. Need to not only win, but need others to lose to stay in my current rundle.
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's, and maybe some of Chris Harrison's?

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:58 pm

Well, I've won my 5 games, but will definitely be relegated back to B (not that I EVER belonged in A to begin with).

morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo

Post by morbeedo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:09 am

econgator wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:58 pm
Well, I've won my 5 games, but will definitely be relegated back to B (not that I EVER belonged in A to begin with).
Last season, I dropped from A to B. Now, on MD25, I'm perilously close to relegation AGAIN due to a tougher lineup of matches and an embarrassing MD2 forfeit. My fate will be decided in the wee hours! :o

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:08 am

The top 7 in my rundle finished with 36, 35, 34, 33, 32, 31, and 30 points, which is a pretty satisfying layout even if I was the 32.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:13 am

Linear Gnome wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:38 pm
After being a ronin for a few seasons, I decided to go home to (C) Taiga (Div 1) for what may be my final season, depending on how I feel after LL80. I've been in C for 12 consecutive seasons (not counting LL78, which I sat out) and it's starting to feel a bit stale. Part of me would like to try B some time even if I'm in over my head, but the outcome I think I'm rooting for is to retire from LL without ever having been relegated.
Linear Gnome wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:05 am
I think this is one of the earlier times I've clinched non-relegation (as long as I don't forfeit). I'm currently sitting in the lowest spot in the promotion zone from C to B. I had been thinking of making this my last season in LL; I'm not sure if a promotion after a ridiculous number of seasons in C will change my mind.

The "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in" meme might be operative here.
It's indelicate to quote myself, so I'll do it twice!

I made it through 16 seasons and 400 match days without cheating, forfeiting, or being relegated. I finished LL80 one spot out of the promotion zone. Since I'm no longer a ronin, I could get a serendipitous promotion, but I think I'm going to ride into the sunset for now. One deciding factor is that my two strongest categories (math and classical music) had their lowest number of questions ever (and have been trending that way lately). I used to look forward to the occasional "sheet music" question, but those seem to be gone with the other multimedia questions. As much as I sympathize with the reasons, it's a lot less fun for me when there are fewer classical music questions and some of them are like the silly "bang on a can" question.

In June and August 2018, there were some decisions made by TAI that nearly caused me to quit LL, but two things that are in my nature are to want to avoid interfering with something that someone else cares about (even if I no longer do) and to avoid doing things that are irreversible (such as quitting LL while paid up for additional seasons). I hung on through LL77 even after MD7, but I sat out LL78 because I thought that there was a nonzero chance that I'd either (1) get mad and be tempted to quit again, or (2) dial down my "care" level so low that I'd accidentally forfeit. By LL79, I felt I could soldier through regardless, which I did for LL79 and LL80. At least for now, I'm going to let my membership run out.

Congratulations to those of you who were promoted and/or won rundles; condolences to those relegated.

morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo

Post by morbeedo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:49 am

I won my final match 4(3)-1(2) and finished in 19th place, B Taiga, avoiding relegation, despite having the second lowest TCA score

Somehow got credit for “dots” on the art question, which doesn’t seem right (I know the artist, but blanked on the current infinity room installations). I would have won anyway, so I finish this season without controversy

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:22 am

morbeedo wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:49 am
Somehow got credit for “dots” on the art question, which doesn’t seem right (I know the artist, but blanked on the current infinity room installations). I would have won anyway, so I finish this season without controversy
I knew it was about the Infinity Rooms, and I said the walls were lined with lights, then felt like a fool upon submitting. I saw I finished out the season with a tie and thought I could have won if I had thought through it a little more clearly, but then I realized I had been marked correct for it.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:58 am

I went to the Kusama exhibit when it was here in DC, so that was an easy 3. Which denied my opponent winning the rundle. Curiously enough, 1st place going into the last day also lost their match, but the top 2 kept their positions despite both losing.

My best TCA ever, but a middling DE kept me buried in the middle of the pack (which, after flirting with relegation early in the season due to a ridiculous CAA, was a relief). I did think it was one of the easiest seasons ever.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:17 am

Missed promotion due to point differential... :cry:
Not one of my better seasons either. Just a little more luck and I can crack the A barrier for one glorious season

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:27 am

I finished with 71 TCA, which is 1 question short of my previous best. It struck me as an easy season as well, but that could partially be because the easier question seemed REALLY easy (chia, chorus, panhandle, and a few others that I'm forgetting). Though I guess that panhandle could have been hard for the non-American players.

classicroadster

Post by classicroadster » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:50 am

Needed to go 3-0 the last week to get promoted to C, went 2-1 to finish in a 3 way tie for 4th in a close top of rundle in DMagnolia2. First had 35 points, 2/3 tied with 32, 4/5/6 tied with 31. I ended this season doing all I could with my highest TCA with 78 and DE almost 100 points better than my avg (0.784). But, I was defended well (OE of 0.250) and had the 4th highest CAA. I felt this season was a little easier than usual for me, but what was easy for me was really easy, and the hard questions were really hard. Usually for me there are a few questions per day where I can puzzle out an answer or two but to me there were very few of those. A good example (for my knowledge) was the 9 to 5 question. Thats one where I can figure who the stars are and then go and think about a movie they were in together. But, I'd never seen the show (there is sooooo much netflix content) and even if you'd told me who the stars were I wouldn't have gotten 9 to 5 because I've never seen it and couldn't have told you one other star other than Dolly.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:03 am

FC Cincinnati was Louisville City FC's rival in the USL before FCC moved up to MLS, so that was an instaget.

They were known as Futbol Club Cincinnati, but decided to change their name upon their move up in order to pay homage to the city's German heritage.

They are now known as Fußball-Club Cincinnati.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:31 am

Linear Gnome wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:13 am
In June and August 2018, there were some decisions made by TAI that nearly caused me to quit LL
Care to expound on this?

Decent if unexceptional season for me. Ended up ninth in A Fjord with a QPct just slightly better than my average. Only missed Cincinnati yesterday, going with Indianapolis.

Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:52 am

A pretty typical season for me. I had the second highest CAA in A Midland, so it's not surprising that I'll be relegated this time around.

I had mixed reactions about this article. It initially made me laugh, but then I really don't like the idea of publicly shaming people for how they do in trivia things. :https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/mic ... 329e147a61

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:04 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:31 am
Linear Gnome wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:13 am
In June and August 2018, there were some decisions made by TAI that nearly caused me to quit LL
Care to expound on this?
I spent a lot of time composing, editing, and deleting posts, so it's hard for me to remember what I actually posted at the time and since then. I will spoiler this just on general principles.
SpoilerShow
The most egregious thing was the question whose answer was "infinitesimal"--the question was edited twice during an active match day. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think that should ever happen. Defense is (arguably) the defining characteristic that distinguishes traditional LL matches from most trivia contests, and, aside from the inherent unfairness of changing the question, it makes defense meaningless. I'm really strong in math; when I played that question, it seemed extremely difficult and obscure, and I defended accordingly.

My opinion is that, once the match day goes live, the questions should not be edited, period. I can see why it would be necessary occasionally for advance access, but there was one time when questions got traded between match days after someone played one of the match days by advance access, so they played one question twice and another not at all. How can defense be meaningful in such a situation? In both cases, having different players answering different versions of a question, or two of one question and none of another, is bad enough, but defensive considerations make it unacceptable, IMO.

The other issues I had were:

(1) Letting essentially the same question play simultaneously in two mini-leagues (answer was Galois). This gave a lot of people ethical dilemmas and put many others at a disadvantage on defense if they were only playing one of the mini-leagues. It would have been easy to avoid this systemic chaos.

(2) One of the questions in the Airplane! 1DS was carelessly edited and had no correct answer, and was scored accordingly. All of us have seen carelessly written trivia questions occasionally, but nothing was done to protect the people who moneyed the question in good faith. Again, I think moneying is what makes 1DS's unique, and it's a tenet of every reputable trivia contest that every question has a correct answer. If I have to start wondering whether a question in a 1DS is a "whammy" with no correct answer, well, count me out.

Some people may say, "well, it's just a game, it doesn't really matter". But the crux of LL is (please forgive the shouting) WE'RE SUPPOSED TO PRETEND THAT IT MATTERS. Literally the first thing we do is promise not to cheat and not to forfeit, because we're suppose to take it seriously. But it's hard for me to take it seriously when the rules are so capricious. I'd rather enjoy the excellently-written trivia questions a day late and not bother with the scoring. It's well-established that I'm a C-rundler and I have nothing more to prove there.

Whew. If you've made it this far, thanks for reading.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:46 am

Back down to C for me as I only finished ahead of four players. My .753 defense was not enough to help much and my 92 TCA does not cut it with 16 better than it.

mrparadise
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrparadise » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:53 am

Well, I don't see how it can be other than a fluke but I finished 4th in B Horizon. I say fluke because I had a TCA of of only 87 and a so-so DE of .726(the persons who finished 21 and 22 had 85 TCA and both had a better DE). I guess the other statistics would explain, but I'm just putting it down to dumb luck. So, I guess I'm headed for A. Let the trepidation begin!

fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:58 am

Going into the last day I was just clinging to the promotion zone, with my highest-ever TCA. I crashed and burned, getting 1 question right and falling from 4th to 7th place. I hadn't gotten fewer than 3 right in a match day all season. It didn't help that I had the highest CAA in my rundle. Nevertheless, I feel good about going 11/12 in Geography, one of my weakest subjects before a concerted effort this year to study up, and having my best QPct ever.