LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by classicroadster » Tue May 07, 2019 9:23 am

Brutal day yesterday in 2000 Sports...I ended up with 0 correct, lost the Koin flip on Bruins/Red Wings. No chance on the CFL and halftime show questions. I could picture both Meb and Ochoa in my head but could not pull their names. My group collectively went 14/72 (0.194) with no forfeits....

User avatar
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:28 am
Location: Holland, Michigan

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by jjwaymee » Tue May 07, 2019 12:12 pm

Is it too early to create a private league for LL81? I'd do it myself if I were a Commissioner's Circle member.

User avatar
RJRouge
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by RJRouge » Tue May 07, 2019 12:42 pm

I'm either in a very difficult bracket for the LGBT ML or have just had terrible luck. Haven't won a single match, 2 ties, really haven't done TOO poorly on the questions themselves.

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by classicroadster » Tue May 07, 2019 2:15 pm

RJRouge wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:42 pm
I'm either in a very difficult bracket for the LGBT ML or have just had terrible luck. Haven't won a single match, 2 ties, really haven't done TOO poorly on the questions themselves.
I've been lucky so far in this one, I'm 3-1-1 with only 14 TCA and 14 CAA...I've done better than I thought, although a lot of my pre-call answers have been used so far (Will & Grace, Ellen, Mapplethorpe).

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2203
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by StevenH » Thu May 09, 2019 10:54 am

I lucked into a 1(1)-0(1) win yesterday by lucking out on the 1 in 4 guess with the Australian Open.

I am probably not the best person to judge but many of the questions in this sports ML strike me as being a tad too much on the trivial side. Maybe not so bad if it was a 1DS just for that sport, but not the greatest for an ML that you would think would be a little more general. I don't think that it has been an abomination or anything, but still.

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by classicroadster » Fri May 10, 2019 8:09 am

StevenH wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:54 am
I lucked into a 1(1)-0(1) win yesterday by lucking out on the 1 in 4 guess with the Australian Open.

I am probably not the best person to judge but many of the questions in this sports ML strike me as being a tad too much on the trivial side. Maybe not so bad if it was a 1DS just for that sport, but not the greatest for an ML that you would think would be a little more general. I don't think that it has been an abomination or anything, but still.
Aussie Open is the first one of the year (then French, Wimbledon, US Open) so it was a good guess!

I'm a sports guy, easily my best category, but these questions have been difficult and no real hints in the clue writing. A good example was the NASCAR question yesterday where they gave the drivers states, which would lead one to believe the track is named for a state. I knew it was Darlington, but am not surprised it was only 10% correct. There have been a lot of obscure YEKIOYD questions for sure. But, I'm in first in Group 166 so I'm not going to complain too much...

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7917
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by econgator » Fri May 10, 2019 6:20 pm

classicroadster wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:09 am
I'm a sports guy, easily my best category, but these questions have been difficult and no real hints in the clue writing. A good example was the NASCAR question yesterday where they gave the drivers states, which would lead one to believe the track is named for a state. I knew it was Darlington, but am not surprised it was only 10% correct. There have been a lot of obscure YEKIOYD questions for sure. But, I'm in first in Group 166 so I'm not going to complain too much...
They're certainly hints, if you know where to look. Take the baseball question. The first pitcher had a BIG presence on the mound (Randy Johnson = Big Unit) and the other had a teammate who made a play that knocked your SOCKS off. Should narrow it down to BOS and CWS. If you know that Buerhle threw the perfecto, it does make it easier.

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Sat May 11, 2019 12:41 am

The most unusual thing to happen to the White Sox in 2009 was not the perfect game, but Jermaine Dye and Paul Konerko hitting back to back 300th career homers.

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by classicroadster » Mon May 13, 2019 10:29 am

econgator wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:20 pm
classicroadster wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:09 am
I'm a sports guy, easily my best category, but these questions have been difficult and no real hints in the clue writing. A good example was the NASCAR question yesterday where they gave the drivers states, which would lead one to believe the track is named for a state. I knew it was Darlington, but am not surprised it was only 10% correct. There have been a lot of obscure YEKIOYD questions for sure. But, I'm in first in Group 166 so I'm not going to complain too much...
They're certainly hints, if you know where to look. Take the baseball question. The first pitcher had a BIG presence on the mound (Randy Johnson = Big Unit) and the other had a teammate who made a play that knocked your SOCKS off. Should narrow it down to BOS and CWS. If you know that Buerhle threw the perfecto, it does make it easier.
I agree, but most questions do not have many if any hints. I knew Randy Johnson threw a no hitter, and didn't catch the socks/sox hint, but even if I did I don't think I would've remembered Buerhle. My comment is more about the # of Bonds home runs (I was off by 1), number of strokes for Tigers win, name CFL team in Ottawa, naming 4 semi obscure MLS players from 2009 and name their team (I knew Mathis, and had heard of the others but could never pick them out of a lineup). I'm not really complaining, as I've been doing pretty well and lead my group in TCA. But the questions do seem to have fewer ways into them in general than the normal LL questions.

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2203
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by StevenH » Tue May 14, 2019 7:21 am

In the sports ML I lost out on two 50 50 90 guesses yesterday: Lesnar over St. Pierre and Germany over Italy (though I really had no idea on the latter and was lucky even to get that close). However, I was attending UGA in 2008 when they lost to Fresno State in the baseball championship, so I was on that one. It got me a 2(1)-0(1) win.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1644
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by CasketRomance » Tue May 14, 2019 9:46 am

can someone post the sports questions in here?

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by classicroadster » Tue May 14, 2019 10:23 am

CasketRomance wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:46 am
can someone post the sports questions in here?
You can view them on learned league website, except for todays.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1562
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 am

classicroadster wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:23 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:46 am
can someone post the sports questions in here?
You can view them on learned league website, except for todays.
Indeed. Here's Day 8 (yesterday), and you can click back through to the previous days.

https://www.learnedleague.com/mini/matc ... 0ssports&8

The calendar on the front page is a good way to navigate past quizzes.

https://www.learnedleague.com/

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1644
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by CasketRomance » Tue May 14, 2019 10:38 am

classicroadster wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:23 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:46 am
can someone post the sports questions in here?
You can view them on learned league website, except for todays.
thanx, dude

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1644
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by CasketRomance » Tue May 14, 2019 10:43 am

StevenH wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:54 am
I lucked into a 1(1)-0(1) win yesterday by lucking out on the 1 in 4 guess with the Australian Open.

I am probably not the best person to judge but many of the questions in this sports ML strike me as being a tad too much on the trivial side. Maybe not so bad if it was a 1DS just for that sport, but not the greatest for an ML that you would think would be a little more general. I don't think that it has been an abomination or anything, but still.
not 1 in 4, but 1 in 3 since us open is final gs of the year and the question asks about non calendar year

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1644
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by CasketRomance » Tue May 14, 2019 10:54 am

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 am
classicroadster wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:23 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:46 am
can someone post the sports questions in here?
You can view them on learned league website, except for todays.
Indeed. Here's Day 8 (yesterday), and you can click back through to the previous days.

https://www.learnedleague.com/mini/matc ... 0ssports&8

The calendar on the front page is a good way to navigate past quizzes.

https://www.learnedleague.com/
thanx...i appreciate that...didn't realise the questions were open to the public

User avatar
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler
Posts: 2551
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 am

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by ElendilPickle » Tue May 14, 2019 4:49 pm

I have a couple of referrals for the upcoming season. If you are interested and can commit to playing every match without forfeiting or cheating, PM me ASAP.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 2165
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by morbeedo » Thu May 16, 2019 10:54 am

Finished 2nd in LGBT Group 128. Shoulda had 7 right in the championship but stupidly submitted Tim Daley for Tom, when last name should always be enough! Wasn't gonna win anyway, but still.

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by classicroadster » Thu May 16, 2019 12:39 pm

I ended up 5th in LGBT Group 142, which I thought was pretty good for me. I only knew 3.5 in the final (culture club, Semenya, Von Stueben, and Daley but not his husband).

By virtue of just submitting today, I can't be caught and I've won Group 166 of 2000 Sports and look forward to the championship. Based on the difficulty of the regular season, I'm interested in seeing tomorrows questions.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 2165
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by morbeedo » Thu May 16, 2019 1:01 pm

classicroadster wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:39 pm
I ended up 5th in LGBT Group 142, which I thought was pretty good for me. I only knew 3.5 in the final (culture club, Semenya, Von Stueben, and Daley but not his husband).

By virtue of just submitting today, I can't be caught and I've won Group 166 of 2000 Sports and look forward to the championship. Based on the difficulty of the regular season, I'm interested in seeing tomorrows questions.
Good luck!

I pulled Von Steuben from some vague memory of hearing him come up on Jeopardy. Otherwise never encountered that fact in school

Post Reply