LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by triviawayne » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:25 pm

I'm a little surprised Atari had the low get rate. With the popularity of classic gaming, I thought all ages would know who Nolan Bushnell is.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:33 am

Was I foolish to assign 0 points to what I considered a relatively easy question in one of my opponent's better categories? Even if I had picked the other fashion house I was considering instead of Gucci, it would have still been a tie. I know it's part of the game, but I hate being so bad at assigning points. I know things, but I am a TERRIBLE gambler.

badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:36 am

RJRouge wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:33 am
Was I foolish to assign 0 points to what I considered a relatively easy question in one of my opponent's better categories? Even if I had picked the other fashion house I was considering instead of Gucci, it would have still been a tie. I know it's part of the game, but I hate being so bad at assigning points. I know things, but I am a TERRIBLE gambler.
Lifestyle is kind of a crapshoot category, more of a miscellaneous. Do you know how they did on fashion questions in the past?

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:52 am

triviawayne wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:25 pm
I'm a little surprised Atari had the low get rate. With the popularity of classic gaming, I thought all ages would know who Nolan Bushnell is.
I think you may be overestimate how popular it is. Still very much a niche thing. What percentage of people play video games of any kind? I bet it's considerably less than 50%.

Successful first week for me. I tied yesterday, so 2-1-0 for the week.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:13 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:52 am
I got my first non-loss yesterday with, like you, a 4(4)-4(4) tie. We also both got the same questions correct. :)

RJRouge

Post by RJRouge » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:23 pm

badgerfellow wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:36 am
RJRouge wrote:
Lifestyle is kind of a crapshoot category, more of a miscellaneous. Do you know how they did on fashion questions in the past?
Oh, I put 0 on the geography question. I put 3 on the fashion question. The only one they miss? Geography, which they had a rather high get rate for.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:41 pm

It took me a while to realize the answer for the geography question didn't necessarily need to be a country on the Arabian Peninsula. Once I got past that mental block, Somalia seemed obvious (and it just came up in Jeopardy! the day before).

My answer for the Dimbleby brothers company was Cambridge Analytica. I had absolutely no clue, but then had the thought that it could possibly be a current events question.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:43 pm

RJRouge wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:23 pm
badgerfellow wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:36 am
RJRouge wrote:
Oh, I put 0 on the geography question. I put 3 on the fashion question. The only one they miss? Geography, which they had a rather high get rate for.
Oh I see. Yeah, that one is more straightforward. That's LearnedLeague though; stuff happens.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:

If you tied, you aren't 2-1-0.

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:27 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:41 pm
It took me a while to realize the answer for the geography question didn't necessarily need to be a country on the Arabian Peninsula. Once I got past that mental block, Somalia seemed obvious (and it just came up in Jeopardy! the day before).
There are two geography-related facts that I often have to remind myself: although it is far to the east, relative to North America, South America has a Pacific (not just Atlantic) Ocean coast and although it is far to the west, relative to Asia, Africa has an Indian (not just Atlantic) Ocean coast.
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

triviawayne

Post by triviawayne » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:59 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:25 pm
I think you may be overestimate how popular it is. Still very much a niche thing. What percentage of people play video games of any kind? I bet it's considerably less than 50%.

I think you underestimate it. A few years ago, money spent on video games in a year surpassed that of movies; there are now "sports" leagues of video games; I know of more arcades/barcades than existed 20 years ago; and the prices of classic games went to the point where I stopped adding to my library (a collection I began about 20 years ago when I decided I missed playing Atari).

Even though there isn't currently a Pac-Man like phenomenon out there right now, it is a huge industry.

ETA: I meant to put this in after the "underestimate" part - while you are correct about less than 50%, it is 42% of the American population that plays regularly.

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:28 pm

I toyed with Somalia but went back to my first love of Yemen I think because "southeast coast" seemed a weird way to describe it. On further thought, there's really no other way, but this further thought didn't take place till after I had submitted. Back when there were two Yemens, I remember that East and West were just as much north and south (or vice-versa; it's been a while), so that probably colored my gut reaction. Lucky for me, I have a pretty good geography score, so my opponent zeroed me on that Q.

I guessed right on Atari because it seemed to mesh well with the backgrounds of the two guys mentioned, and once I thought of it the fact that "atari" had some other meaning rang familiar. My Go experience has been limited to playing reversi/othello on a chess board with go stones. I'm certainly of the generation to be very familiar with Atari, but I never really played it, nor Intellivision, though I did like those ads of theirs with George Plimpton.
I'm smart and I want respect.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:47 pm

alietr wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:

If you tied, you aren't 2-1-0.
You know how everyone except the U.S. writes dates out in the logical order of D-M-Y? I guess I do the same thing for LL records: W-T-L.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:52 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:59 pm
I think you underestimate it. A few years ago, money spent on video games in a year surpassed that of movies; there are now "sports" leagues of video games; I know of more arcades/barcades than existed 20 years ago; and the prices of classic games went to the point where I stopped adding to my library (a collection I began about 20 years ago when I decided I missed playing Atari).
No question classic arcade/video games are trendy right now, but I'm thinking the popularity is probably along the lines of vinyl records and film photography: still a niche thing rather than truly mainstream. I could certainly be wrong. Or another possibility is that people like to play classic video games, but aren't terribly interested in the historical aspect.

By the way, I work with a guy who has a massive classic game collection. I told him about this question. He knew it, of course, and went on to tell me about the genesis of Tengen, which was something I hadn't heard about before.

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:58 pm

I figured it was Somalia, but got thrown by the directional information and put Eritrea :oops:

Gulf of Aden --> Somali pirates

triviawayne

Post by triviawayne » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:26 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:58 pm
I figured it was Somalia, but got thrown by the directional information and put Eritrea :oops:

Gulf of Aden --> Somali pirates
The pirates are the main reason I know the gulfs name

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:51 pm

Nobody else read cephalopod, thought of whales (I know, cetacean) and put ambergris? I was so confident too, though how melanin, generally a skin pigment, morphs into whatever sort of material ambergris is I didn't ponder long enough. Didn't affect the match but doesn't bode well for the full season, nor does swapping out Athens for Carthage. Still 2-1-0 so far (WLT, Kirk).
Back in the pool

mrparadise
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrparadise » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:23 am

I read cephalopodic and thought of ink but then kept thinking (usually a good idea, but sometimes not) and decided cephalopodic referred to whales so I changed to ambergris but on further reflection decided it must be sperm and went with that. I lost the match but would have lost anyway.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:09 am

Finally got my first win of the season, 4(2)-0(0). Movies and TV aren't my strong suit, but being a '90s kid I definitely knew My So-Called Life and even watched some episodes when it first appeared on Netflix. And Seven Year Itch didn't sound like a medical condition, but I had nothing better.

I never would have guessed a non-Dutch speaking country on the New Zealand clue.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:25 am

StevenH wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:09 am
... And Seven Year Itch didn't sound like a medical condition, but I had nothing better.
It did hit the exact same beats as a recent Final Jeopardy tho, so I'm a little surprised at the under 50% get rate.
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6192