Friday, February 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Friday, February 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

Another one for G.W. Carver. :( Good job to those who got Goodyear, but I wasn't getting there with that clue.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

JayK33 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:04 pm Eric was a good champ. There still hasn't been a 5-time winner since Well Dunn, I believe. In other words, there still hasn't been a 5-time winner since I've been watching J! again daily. We've come close a few times.
and that is how i like it...need more one and doners though
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Alex gave a chuckle when he got to the punchline of the Mean Girls quote--the one about the girl thinking maybe she's psychic and has ESPN. I think he wasn't expecting it. There was one other line in that category that seemed to amuse him, but now I can't remember what it was.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Any reason I should know any of those movie quotes? Especially since none of them were actually funny?
davey

Post by davey »

bkellysky wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:52 pm Mark's answer of 'eclipse' for the Transit of Mercury was correct. Mercury moving across the disk of our Sun as seen from Earth is a partial eclipse of the Sun.
The clue asked for "one of these events of Mercury" - not its effect on the sun...

I just noticed that the closed captioner rendered the HIGH WAY clue as "It has a medium in the middle." Alex even emphasized the final n.... :roll: Those captions used to be more careful.
My first impulse on FJ was Burbank, but before long the import of "elastic metal" came through. I always worry that I'm mixing up Goodrich with Goodyear, but not enough to change my right response...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

harrumph wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:23 pm For FJ I had a coin flip between Goodyear and Firestone and had a vague memory of Goodyear refining the vulcanization process so I went with him.
That was my difficulty as well. I was pretty sure the clue was referring to rubber, but which guy? Fortunately I chose wisely.

Ran the category in word play, body parts in Latin.

LT on Rachel (from Old Testament), knee, sent/scent (I know Amanda seemed put off by that category but I rather enjoyed it).

I pretty much figured Eric was burning out at the end of a stellar week when the lawyer confused "warrant" for "subpoena." I thought it would be time for him to go. I didn't think it would be this way: leading (AGAIN) going into FJ with over $20K, and losing on a miss on FJ. Nice run for the bullfrog.

And THANK GOD!! Amanda pulls out a win because (compared to so many other contestants) she knew how to wager correctly from second place. Way to go, girl!!! And congrats on a very nice win.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Loved the FJ wager. Finally.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Got to rubber about halfway into the think music, then it was only a matter of deciding between Goodyear and Goodrich. I wasn't sure there was actually someone named Goodyear and figured "B. F. Goodrich" sounded a lot like someone's name and went with that. I think I outsmarted myself on this one because my gut tells me J! asks about Goodyear way more often than Goodrich.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:22 am Got to rubber about halfway into the think music, then it was only a matter of deciding between Goodyear and Goodrich. I wasn't sure there was actually someone named Goodyear and figured "B. F. Goodrich" sounded a lot like someone's name and went with that. I think I outsmarted myself on this one because my gut tells me J! asks about Goodyear way more often than Goodrich.
Your miss reminds me of this ad campaign:

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Only missing the Phillies Mascot and Flight of the Concordes.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Transit, Rachel, Knee, Ronald Reagan, Sent Scent, The Castle
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:44 am 57 R (Only missing the Phillies Mascot and Flight of the Concordes.)
LT: Transit, Rachel, Knee, Ronald Reagan, Sent Scent, The Castle
Flyers* mascot.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

True Daily Double on Kafka!!! It’s crazy because I just picked up The Castle again after an aborted attempt

FJ. Instaget rubber, wrote Dunlop then switched to Goodyear with milliseconds to spare
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 am
Your miss reminds me of this ad campaign:

What - no blackface minstrels in this commercial? Wow, we must still have a long way to go. What will our reruns look like in 40 years from now?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

This is one of those FJs where I'd be tempted to write "Who is Good<scribble>"
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 39,200
48 R/1 W
LT: Rachael, knee, sent scent

I wrote down Carver immediately, hemmed and hawed for 20 seconds about "stuff made from vegetables" vs. "sounds like descriptions of rubber," then changed to Goodyear with about five seconds to go.

OTOH, I negged on eclipse rather than transit and completely blanked on "20th Century president from Illinois." Oops.

I think I would have gone all in on DD1. I don't know if you can expect a better opportunity to make big money than 10 seconds to think about a Latin term that is virtually guaranteed to be the root of a fairly common English word.
Sprinkles are for winners.