Tuesday, February 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Euphonium

Re: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:10 am
Euphonium wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:25 am Glenda: also the mascot for Plan 9 from Bell Labs
The witch is Glinda, not Glenda.
Ah, thanks! I've never seen it written out, I suppose.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Baskets was my only miss for today. Too bad Louis Anderson didn't talk about that scene on WWTBAM. :lol: )
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Lhasa, (McCoy's), Salinas Valley, Negro Leagues, Gypsum, Priam

I feel like this exact same Final Jeopardy! was used in the past.

I know what I hear. I heard Matt say a quick and faint "What is" when dealing with the Labour and Conservative question.

Looking forward to the Jeopardy! All-Star games tonight. :D
Douglas Squasoni
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:35 am I wish Alex had waited a little longer to say no, the way he sometimes does.
The show has been known to compress silences in order to make more time to get through all 60 clues; it would not surprise me if Alex had let the timer run out in the studio, but a compression was done in post.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

John Boy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:26 am Anyone else read the FJ clue, come up with the tune "London Bridge is falling down," and then start mentally humming/singing it to recall the last line?
That's what I did, and there was that neat moment at the end of the melody when I went "Aha, that's it".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:43 pm I feel like this exact same Final Jeopardy! was used in the past.
Not quite the same... http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2067

But there was the Brigadoon one which had a picture of a bridge that was much more recent (that I responded My Fair Lady for at the time...so in my head for this one, Alex went "Now's the time for My Fair Lady")
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:39 am I'll confess that the triple stumper on Negro Leagues had me yelling at the TV.
Gotta admit, I missed it, too. "Negro Leagues" seemed too late; MLB had been integrated by 1952. I had to go with "American Association." There was an AA team in Indianapolis when I was growing up watching the Denver Bears play AAA ball, and I thought Aaron could well have passed through there on his way to the majors.

TIL, though, that the Indianapolis Clowns lasted until 1962 as the last Negro League team, and continued playing as an entertainment team (like the Harlem Globetrotters) for another 20 years.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I was just a trifle surprised that "My God" .... "It's Full of Stores" elicited not a trace of a chuckle from either the contestants or the audience.

David Bowman would be disappointed.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:10 am
Euphonium wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:25 am Glenda: also the mascot for Plan 9 from Bell Labs
The witch is Glinda, not Glenda.

Named after L. Frank Baum's daughter. Look that up in your Funk & Wagnall's.

I couldn't believe how easy Final Jeopardy was.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I knew what nursery rhyme they were looking for. Unfortunately the only version I know is the Mr. Belvedere one.
davey

Post by davey »

The most interesting fact about the title of My Fair Lady is the often overlooked pun. The Cockney girl Eliza Doolittle learns to speak and live like a woman from an upper-class part of London - or as Eliza might say it at the beginning of the story, a "Myfair" lady...
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

This was an easy FJ for me. I'm not playing along as much as I used to, but good I got this one.
billiej

Post by billiej »

floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:04 pmLook that up in your Funk & Wagnall's.
Not only do I get this reference, I had a set of Funk & Wagnall's when I was in school.

Damn, I'm old... :lol:
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

billiej wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:26 am
floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:04 pmLook that up in your Funk & Wagnall's.
Not only do I get this reference, I had a set of Funk & Wagnall's when I was in school.

So am I. We got our set one volume at a time, once a week, as a supermarket promo premium.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:54 pm

So am I. We got our set one volume at a time, once a week, as a supermarket promo premium.
Same here...was it a Kroger's? 8-)
robp
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by robp »

Did anyone notice the non-standard grammar choice on the category title ALEX' BUCKET LIST ?

I cannot find a single style guide that suggests it is proper to drop the S on a possessive for a word ending in X. In fact, they all suggest that the S is not optional.

Surprised that Jeopardy's writers would make this mistake.
billiej

Post by billiej »

DBear wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:53 pm

Mine was Shop n Save, I'm sure others had them too.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

davey wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:10 pm The most interesting fact about the title of My Fair Lady is the often overlooked pun. The Cockney girl Eliza Doolittle learns to speak and live like a woman from an upper-class part of London - or as Eliza might say it at the beginning of the story, a "Myfair" lady...
I always forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder!

The current Broadway production of My Fair Lady is tremendously good. Laura Benanti was born to play Eliza. So many interesting layers in her characterization.
davey

Post by davey »

robp wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:40 am Did anyone notice the non-standard grammar choice on the category title ALEX' BUCKET LIST ?

I cannot find a single style guide that suggests it is proper to drop the S on a possessive for a word ending in X. In fact, they all suggest that the S is not optional.

Surprised that Jeopardy's writers would make this mistake.
Well, punctuation is not grammar, so we all make mistakes... :ugeek: I imagine someone was zealously saving space, and thought the s sound, not just the letter, counted...
My own rule is that if you're going to pronounce it, the final s should be there, so Alex made it very wrong by saying Alexes...
Considering the misuse of apostrophes generally - the wholesale use of them to pluralize proper names, for goodness' sake! - I'm not too concerned about this one, until I see the show misusing them more often.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

It was in my early teens, so I didn't do a lot of the grocery shopping, but it could have been. My mother's main stores were Red Owl, Safeway, and King Soopers, the latter of which is a regional Kroger brand.
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:35 pm

It was in my early teens, so I didn't do a lot of the grocery shopping, but it could have been. My mother's main stores were Red Owl, Safeway, and King Soopers, the latter of which is a regional Kroger brand.
A&P did this too. First I'm learning it wasn't exclusive!