Tuesday, February 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cheezguyty » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:35 pm

davey wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:32 am
robp wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:40 am
Did anyone notice the non-standard grammar choice on the category title ALEX' BUCKET LIST ?

I cannot find a single style guide that suggests it is proper to drop the S on a possessive for a word ending in X. In fact, they all suggest that the S is not optional.

Surprised that Jeopardy's writers would make this mistake.
Well, punctuation is not grammar, so we all make mistakes... :ugeek: I imagine someone was zealously saving space, and thought the s sound, not just the letter, counted...
My own rule is that if you're going to pronounce it, the final s should be there, so Alex made it very wrong by saying Alexes...
Considering the misuse of apostrophes generally - the wholesale use of them to pluralize proper names, for goodness' sake! - I'm not too concerned about this one, until I see the show misusing them more often.
The show has been "misusing" apostrophes in this manner exclusively for at least 15 years. They even do it when the "x" is silent ("Paul Theroux' novel", "Delacroix' 1859 painting")! The only exceptions are with Roman numerals ("Charles X's eldest son"), animals named for someone ("Verreaux's sifaka", "Spix's [macaw]"), or when "x" is being used as a placeholder for an unspecified individual ("MR. X'S OBITUARY", "Senator X's puppy-kicking").

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:13 am

cheezguyty wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:35 pm
davey wrote:
robp wrote:
Did anyone notice the non-standard grammar choice on the category title ALEX' BUCKET LIST ?

I cannot find a single style guide that suggests it is proper to drop the S on a possessive for a word ending in X. In fact, they all suggest that the S is not optional.

Well, punctuation is not grammar, so we all make mistakes... :ugeek: I imagine someone was zealously saving space, and thought the s sound, not just the letter, counted...
My own rule is that if you're going to pronounce it, the final s should be there, so Alex made it very wrong by saying Alexes...
Considering the misuse of apostrophes generally - the wholesale use of them to pluralize proper names, for goodness' sake! - I'm not too concerned about this one, until I see the show misusing them more often.
The show has been "misusing" apostrophes in this manner exclusively for at least 15 years. They even do it when the "x" is silent ("Paul Theroux' novel", "Delacroix' 1859 painting")! The only exceptions are with Roman numerals ("Charles X's eldest son"), animals named for someone ("Verreaux's sifaka", "Spix's [macaw]"), or when "x" is being used as a placeholder for an unspecified individual ("MR. X'S OBITUARY", "Senator X's puppy-kicking").
Haven't noticed that, thanks! Maybe we can call that house style, then...evidently a space-saving move.

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:03 am

cheezguyty wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:35 pm
davey wrote:
robp wrote:

They did the apostrophe-without-s for "Netflix" in the online test a couple years ago. I felt the -s made more sense since Netflix is a single unit whose name plays off of a plural without the name itself actually being plural.