FJs for the 2/18/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 2/18/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Born in 1866, he has been called "the Shakespeare of science fiction"
75%
The title of this musical that opened in 1956 came from the last line of a nursery rhyme about a structure that spanned the Thames
94%
The 7-letter names of these western- & easternmost mainland countries begin with the same letter
55%
In 1901 this activist was jailed for inspiring the assassination of William McKinley, but the charge was later dropped
23%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all four above.
14%
:( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
VOCABULARY $800: This Latin phrase means a writer's or an artist's greatest work
75%
IN PERPETUITY $1000: In myth Selene couldn't bear this handsome guy ever dying, so she had him sleep forever; Keats wrote a poem about it
10%
PHYSICS $2000: Physicist James gave his name to this law saying heat from electricity is proportional to the square of the current
8%
I had Senegal though not Somalia for the Thursday FJ! clue.
1%
I had Somalia though not Senegal for the Thursday FJ! clue.
15%
I failed on the Thursday FJ! clue by working with Morocco and/or Eritrea.
14%
Susan B. Anthony was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
33%
Sanger or Stanton was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
8%
I cannot recall coming across the name Emma Goldman prior to the Friday FJ! round.
46%
I was 2/2 on the regular play FJ! clues and 0/2 on the All-Stars FJ! clues this week.
19%

Total votes: 106

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: FJs for the 2/18/19 week

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

Emma Goldman sounds more like the name of a kid who would go to my day camp than that of a historical figure. If I'd heard of her previously, I forgot.
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

I'm a bit surprised Emma Goldman is so unfamiliar to most. Though I've never sought out a biography of her, she seems to constantly pop up in the history, historical fiction, and politcs books I read. If nothing else, I would have expected her to be well known through Maureen Stapleton's Oscar-winning portrayal of her in Reds (1981).
Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Instagets M, Tu, F.

Thursday, I started with Morocco on the west coast and by the time I made the switch to Somalia on the east and went back to the west I had a mental block remembering Senegal's name before time ran out. Especially embarrassing since a friend of mine is a Senegalese national.

I wouldn't have clammed on PHYSICS $2000 if not for the distraction of "James" in the clue. I thought Joule was a french scientist.
bibliophage wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:28 pm I'm a bit surprised Emma Goldman is so unfamiliar to most. Though I've never sought out a biography of her, she seems to constantly pop up in the history, historical fiction, and politcs books I read. If nothing else, I would have expected her to be well known through Maureen Stapleton's Oscar-winning portrayal of her in Reds (1981).
I'm also surprised. With the contemporary exception of Noam Chomsky (wonder how a question about him would play), no other American is more synonymous with Anarchist thought than Goldman.
I would prefer not to.