Tuesday, February 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:51 am
econgator wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:26 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:06 pm Rembrandt is a last name.
First name.
Dutch season!
Rembrandt season!
Dutch season!
BANG!
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:29 am
Fleeboy wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:55 am Barring an unforeseen collapse by Team Ken, we're looking at yet another title match involving J!'s resident multi-millionaires. Must be nice to get a call from TPTB every few years to the effect of, "hey, can you come back to Culver City so we can hand you another small fortune?"
Yeah, it must be nice! See also Alex Trebek. He must have one of the world's greatest jobs. I wonder how many total days he needs to show up at the studio. Somewhere around 50?
That's 51 days more than I want to work at his age :lol: .

My only problem with the distribution of wealth is the way the show stiffs second and third place contestants 10 times a week. It's a reasonable meritocracy otherwise, and like our dysfunctional economy, the deck is stacked for the top 0.1%.

Like Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, and Nicklaus, Palmer, and Trevino before them, we will see more of them, not less.

TPTB - PAY YOUR CONTESTANT'S EXPENSES DAMMIT!!!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

chmmr wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:21 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:56 am I heard that Matt shut down Alex in the interview segment, which had to be edited out. Like, "I'm not answering that. Ask me another question." He stood his ground about something he didn't prefer to discuss (I understand it was Alex just going off the cuff and asking him something about plans for the future, which I guess he isn't interested in putting on national TV) until Alex had to relent. Which is kind of badass.
Matt is planning to stage a Russian coup in the future. Nobody can know.
Hero!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:07 pm
Fleeboy wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:55 am Barring an unforeseen collapse by Team Ken, we're looking at yet another title match involving J!'s resident multi-millionaires. Must be nice to get a call from TPTB every few years to the effect of, "hey, can you come back to Culver City so we can hand you another small fortune?"
Yeah, it must be nice! See also Alex Trebek. He must have one of the world's greatest jobs. I wonder how many total days he needs to show up at the studio. Somewhere around 50?
True, but I think I'd be willing to keep working that schedule if I was making the kind of money Alex is! :)
My only problem with the distribution of wealth is the way the show stiffs second and third place contestants 10 times a week.
Preach! And I agree. At a minimum it's time to double the amounts for second and third.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:07 pm

My only problem with the distribution of wealth is the way the show stiffs second and third place contestants 10 times a week. It's a reasonable meritocracy otherwise, and like our dysfunctional economy, the deck is stacked for the top 0.1%.

Like Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, and Nicklaus, Palmer, and Trevino before them, we will see more of them, not less.

TPTB - PAY YOUR CONTESTANT'S EXPENSES DAMMIT!!!
it is a paltry sum for sure...after taxes the non winners basically lose money when you include expenses
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

davey wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:01 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:26 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:06 pm Rembrandt is a last name.
First name.
Toothpaste.
Wikipedia: Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn. Never even thought about the Harmenszoon. Don't think I ever will again.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 22,600
36 R/5 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (none)

Great performance by Matt. Surprising FJ! miss by Julia. I love FJ!'s like this one, where you end up learning something that was hiding in plain sight all your life. Let's see...Northern European artists known almost exclusively by their first names...well, there's Rembrandt van Rijn. Oh, hey! van Rijn. As in, the Rhine. Well, whaddya know.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:53 pm Great performance by Matt. Surprising FJ! miss by Julia. I love FJ!'s like this one, where you end up learning something that was hiding in plain sight all your life. Let's see...Northern European artists known almost exclusively by their first names...well, there's Rembrandt van Rijn. Oh, hey! van Rijn. As in, the Rhine. Well, whaddya know.
Or you've just known him as Rembrandt and never knew that there was more to his name.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Did not know Rembrandt was his first name.

Very impressive performance by Matt. I was expecting Monica's bet to be a little weirder than just adding $3 at the end, but maybe that was as weird as they'd let her get.

Alex does have an easy job for what he's getting paid, but I'd say Vanna White really has it made. All she really does is have to look nice and touch the letters to light them up. Not to mention her job is completely unnecessary to the format of the game.
Last edited by Bamaman on Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

230 episodes a season / 5 episodes a day = 46 days

(That obviously doesn't count his work as an executive producer, only as a host.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:06 pm
230 episodes a season / 5 episodes a day = 46 days

(That obviously doesn't count his work as an executive producer, only as a host.)
Yeah, I figured throw in a couple more for doing promos, recording the questions for the test, etc.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

:)
Last edited by floridagator on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:10 pm
Euphonium wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:11 am
Can we not with the misogyny?
No misogyny. From about the 20th of January in 1998 when the story broke until after her interview with Barbara Walters in the spring of 1999, there was no hour of late night TV without at least one Monica joke. It got richer and more detailed after the Starr report came out.

Clinton and Lewinsky reaped what they sowed.
Just because it was commonplace doesn't make it right.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

No misogyny. From about the 20th of January in 1998 when the story broke until after her interview with Barbara Walters in the spring of 1999, there was no hour of late night TV without at least one Monica joke. It got richer and more detailed after the Starr report came out.

I'm curious to know what you think they "sowed," exactly? Two adults had a consensual relationship. On first look, Bill was answerable to Hillary and no one else for it, and Monica wasn't answerable to anyone at all. If anyone is wrong in a manner that extends beyond preexisting personal commitments it's Bill because of the power dynamic, but that's it. Certainly there was no wrongdoing on Monica's part, and to insult her for being the innocent party in inappropriate behavior by her boss if not for exercising her sexual autonomy and independence as she's entitled to, is, yes, misogyny.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:02 pm Alex does have an easy job for what he's getting paid, but I'd say Vanna White really has it made.
And to her everlasting credit, she knows it. Remember how all over the place she was for a while in the 80's? On magazine covers from Ladies' Home Journal to Playboy, one of People's 25 Most Intriguing People of 1986, on bus sides and billboards as all America wondered "what will Vanna wear tonight?". Through it all, she kept her day job and head on straight. When she told an infotainment anchor "all this recognition just for turning letters; I don't understand it", I remember sensing that she truly honestly felt that way. And lo these many years later, still a fixture in all our lives.
I'm smart and I want respect.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Can a moderator please delete the political nonsense from this thread and then delete this post as well? Thank you.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:29 am Can a moderator please delete the political nonsense from this thread and then delete this post as well? Thank you.
Why not delete Floridagator entirely? Cut off the nonsense at the source
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:30 pm

Just because it was commonplace doesn't make it right.
Nor does it make it appropriate here. That's enough. Anything after this post on the topic will be deleted.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:02 pm ... but I'd say Vanna White really has it made. All she really does is have to look nice and touch the letters to light them up. Not to mention her job is completely unnecessary to the format of the game.
But can you imagine the crushing anxiety, going to bed every night wondering if the next day will be the one the show producers finally realize your job is completely unnecessary?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:34 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:02 pm ... but I'd say Vanna White really has it made. All she really does is have to look nice and touch the letters to light them up. Not to mention her job is completely unnecessary to the format of the game.
But can you imagine the crushing anxiety, going to bed every night wondering if the next day will be the one the show producers finally realize your job is completely unnecessary?
I'm guessing she has a very nice financial cushion to ease that anxiety.