Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Post Reply
User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by morbeedo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:11 am

I've noticed that my ability to recall certain facts varies based on context. For example, I can sail through the World Capitals quiz on Sporcle, missing only the more obscure capitals of Oceania and The Caribbean - but if you randomly ask me to name the capital of Benin or even Nicaragua, I might draw a blank or take much longer to retrieve the data. It's as if my brain has indexed the information in a particular flow, so I'm more likely to recall Porto-Novo on Sporcle than, say, in a Jeopardy! game.

I guess one of those flash card apps would be better for drilling info, because the order is random, and the app will repeat the ones you've missed until you master them.

Has anyone else experienced this or thought about better ways to drill facts?

User avatar
triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by triviawayne » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Everyone is different.

Many things I just have to picture in my head somehow, often there are things I can "see" because I can remember where I learned them, many other things it's just something else, including the repetition of trivia from doing so much of it.

Other things, I have to come up with something stupid to make it stick, like thinking of Napoleon checking out the Consumer Electronics Show...

CES

Corsica--where he was born
Elba--where he was exiled
Sardinia--where he died
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8811
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:30 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:25 pm
Everyone is different.

Many things I just have to picture in my head somehow, often there are things I can "see" because I can remember where I learned them, many other things it's just something else, including the repetition of trivia from doing so much of it.

Other things, I have to come up with something stupid to make it stick, like thinking of Napoleon checking out the Consumer Electronics Show...

CES

Corsica--where he was born
Elba--where he was exiled
Sardinia--where he died
Bad news and good news. Bad news - Napoleon did not die in Sardinia. The good news is St. Helena starts with an S.

User avatar
triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by triviawayne » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:38 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:30 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:25 pm
Everyone is different.

Many things I just have to picture in my head somehow, often there are things I can "see" because I can remember where I learned them, many other things it's just something else, including the repetition of trivia from doing so much of it.

Other things, I have to come up with something stupid to make it stick, like thinking of Napoleon checking out the Consumer Electronics Show...

CES

Corsica--where he was born
Elba--where he was exiled
Sardinia--where he died
Bad news and good news. Bad news - Napoleon did not die in Sardinia. The good news is St. Helena starts with an S.
what the frack did i type sardinia for??????? excel was really frying my brain today, really shouldn't have even been thinking about trivia when I wanted to step away from what I was doing at work.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6225
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by alietr » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:18 pm

Whatever you do, don't use the TPH Method.

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:48 pm

alietr wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:18 pm
Whatever you do, don't use the TPH Method.
Who is TPH? That could be any one of 7 billion people!
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's, and maybe some of Chris Harrison's?

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6225
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by alietr » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:51 pm

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:48 pm
alietr wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:18 pm
Whatever you do, don't use the TPH Method.
Who is TPH? That could be any one of 7 billion people!
People? Tested Proven Hack.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1103
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by CasketRomance » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:33 pm

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:48 pm
alietr wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:18 pm
Whatever you do, don't use the TPH Method.
Who is TPH? That could be any one of 7 billion people!
that is brilliant

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6285
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by Volante » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:43 pm

Mnemonics are also good, or coming up with creative visuals. Sg I believe mentioned using a 'tall stone pillar' for Tallinn, Estonia. (Sony forum era perhaps, I can't find it here.)

User avatar
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts, by way of Vermont!

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by threearruda » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:27 pm

It's all about repetition and not rushing yourself, the way I see it. When I had a Samsung device I caught wind of mystcmage's cardset and app from right here on the board and drilled myself over a few months until I no longer had the device needed to use that app. Certainly helped a bit, but I was still just a novice/high school student at that point.

Now, I try and spend a few minutes per day combing through Ferrill/Crosby's Game Show Trivia book.. reading those pavlovs enough times will help them stick in my head.

But if your brain doesn't work like that, then yeah mnemonics can help too. One that helps me -- common hesitation word "uh" = Uranus - (William) Herschel. Another... think of Niels Bohr at the Super Bowl of Science (SB = Structure of an atom - Niels Bohr). All depends on how you prefer your learnin', I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good luck!

User avatar
triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by triviawayne » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:14 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:33 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:48 pm
alietr wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:18 pm
Whatever you do, don't use the TPH Method.
Who is TPH? That could be any one of 7 billion people!
that is brilliant
I don’t get it...NHO TPH
Total game show career losings = $171,522

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5890
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by seaborgium » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:11 am

Volante wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:43 pm
Mnemonics are also good, or coming up with creative visuals. Sg I believe mentioned using a 'tall stone pillar' for Tallinn, Estonia. (Sony forum era perhaps, I can't find it here.)
That wasn't me. I learned Tallinn from the anti-piracy question at the beginning of the DOS game "Welltris" (a two-and-a-half–dimensional sequel to Tetris). It would give you the flag of one of the (then) SSRs, and ask for the country, the capital, or the area, with the answer key to be found in the manual. Luckily those are facts that can be found outside the manual, and I memorized Riga, Tallinn, Tbilisi, and I think Baku from that. So I never had need for mnemonics for those.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:48 am

Speaking of mnemonics, here are two of my favorites. Learned both of them from Eggheads.

Champagne Bottles: Michael Jackson Rich Man Sings Bad Notes/ Minim 2, Jeroboam 4, Rehoboam 6, Methuselah 8, Salmanazar 12, Balthazar 16, Nebuchadnezzar 20

Periods in the Paleozoic Era: Camels Often Sit Down Carefully in Place/ Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Carboniferous, Permian

Some facts can be very easy to memorize if you can use the alliteration method.

For example, Don Pasquale == Donizetti or Maldives == Male.

You can also use the rhyming method for some.

For example, the currency of Tonga is the Pa'anga.

A joke I told my sister when she was learning the Capitals, "I just got out of the shower, Kenya put on Nairobi(My robe e)"?

I mean, it shouldn't be too hard memorizing Oceanic capitals. Nauru and Yaren have the same number of letters. Tuvalu and Funafuti both have multiple U's in them. Marshall Islands and Majuro you can use the alliteration method. And Vanuatu and Port-Vila you can kind of use the alliteration method.
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:34 am

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by chmmr » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:03 am

morbeedo wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:11 am
I guess one of those flash card apps would be better for drilling info, because the order is random, and the app will repeat the ones you've missed until you master them.

Has anyone else experienced this or thought about better ways to drill facts?
This guy Matt Jackson uses these and I hear he's pretty good.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6225
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by alietr » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:57 am

While we're at it, I'll mention Memory Palaces. I've never mastered it, but it's supposedly the method used by people with prodigious recall abilities. Look it up.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by morbeedo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:52 am

alietr wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:57 am
While we're at it, I'll mention Memory Palaces. I've never mastered it, but it's supposed posedly the method used by people with prodigious recall abilities. Look it up.
I have that book, Moonwalking with Einstein. I’ll read it and report back!

The other side of the coin is speed of recall. On Monday’s game, I recognized
SpoilerShow
Waverley novels
in Ken’s SJ DD, but is was a looong walk to
SpoilerShow
Ivanhoe and then to Walter Scott.
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by morbeedo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:55 am

chmmr wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:03 am
morbeedo wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:11 am
I guess one of those flash card apps would be better for drilling info, because the order is random, and the app will repeat the ones you've missed until you master them.

Has anyone else experienced this or thought about better ways to drill facts?
This guy Matt Jackson uses these and I hear he's pretty good.
364,878 flash cards! What a show off! I’m guessing he pulled sets from the internet or had a sizable stack to start off with. Looking forward to watching him slay again tonight

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3188
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by davey » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:13 am

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:52 am
alietr wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:57 am
While we're at it, I'll mention Memory Palaces. I've never mastered it, but it's supposed posedly the method used by people with prodigious recall abilities. Look it up.
I have that book, Moonwalking with Einstein. I’ll read it and report back!

The other side of the coin is speed of recall. On Monday’s game, I recognized
SpoilerShow
Waverley novels
in Ken’s SJ DD, but is was a looong walk to
SpoilerShow
Ivanhoe and then to Walter Scott.
I think I got that entirely from crossword puzzle clues, even though I haven't encountered it in decades. I've certainly never read any of them.

User avatar
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by OrangeSAM » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:03 pm

How am I supposed to remember all this?
OCSam

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1498
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Techniques for Memorizing and Reinforcing Trivial Facts

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:28 pm

OrangeSAM wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:03 pm
How am I supposed to remember all this?
Image

Post Reply