Help with Wordplay

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Help with Wordplay

Post by oduguy22 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:33 pm

I have a question for you guys that I saw on reddit and applies to me and maybe some others on here so I thought I'd ask. I am not great at wordplay. It's consistently one of my weaker categories so I wanted to ask you guys for any good suggestions to get better with that? Thanks!

boson
Trivial

Re: Help with Wordplay

Post by boson » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:38 pm

Do crossword puzzles - these are pure wordplay and help immensely. I have subscribed to the NYTimes crossword puzzles, but I also use an app on my android phone (Shortyz) that automatically downloads free crosswords from various sources on the internet. I also do some cryptic crosswords as well as traditional american style ones.

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:18 pm

oduguy22 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:33 pm
I have a question for you guys that I saw on reddit and applies to me and maybe some others on here so I thought I'd ask. I am not great at wordplay. It's consistently one of my weaker categories so I wanted to ask you guys for any good suggestions to get better with that? Thanks!
Not all wordplay categories are created equal. Definitely a +1 yes vote for crossword puzzles as they help with the CROSSWORD CLUES "[letter]" categories. ANAGRAMS? Not so much. On J! anagrams can be presented different ways with sometimes being a word in a clue that is designated or made clear that needs a reworking. Other times it's solving the clue to get a word and then quickly having to rearrange it to get a second word. Not always easy.

Before & after clues are a different animal where getting one part is not enough. Triple Rhyme Time? There is a reason it is saved for the hot shots.

For me there is nothing that would help with the ones of finding a word within a word. My mind does not work quickly enough on it to spot the possibles and I'm when I can get one or two right in it.

When I add old games to the archive I will sometimes pause on wordplay clues to see if I can get them with more time (not something I do when watching first-run games) and even with that aid it often does not help.

Ken Jennings is amazingly great at such things.

The J! gamut has many more wordplay category variations such as the -nyms & -phones ones. It may be there is no great way to be ready for all of them. Some players have it as an asset while for others it's a liability.

Good luck.

davidmadden050619
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by davidmadden050619 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:42 am

I anagram for fun in my spare time (i.e. when I'm bored which isn't often, but it's sort of fun when the inspiration strikes). Senator and Treason occurred to me years ago. Teach and Cheat is an old saw, just like Kyoto and Tokyo. Last year while driving into a roadblock, it struck me that rerouted and detourer are anagrams too! I used to play competitive Scrabble - that also can't hurt.

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:43 am

Nice to have you posting here, David Madden!

chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:05 am

Mathew5000 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:43 am
seconded.

As for wordplay... maybe tph can get in this thread :p There are a lot of wordplay categories and they all require different skills. There's probably some computer program you could write that could help you practice rhyme time / anagrams / 8+ letter words.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:20 am

chmmr wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:05 am
Mathew5000 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:43 am
seconded.

As for wordplay... maybe tph can get in this thread :p There are a lot of wordplay categories and they all require different skills. There's probably some computer program you could write that could help you practice rhyme time / anagrams / 8+ letter words.
Jumbline 2 is very good for anagrams.

oduguy22

Post by oduguy22 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:41 pm

Thank you all for the help, I truly appreciate it!

oduguy22

Post by oduguy22 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:04 pm

I can elaborate a bit more, the categories with quotes and those words will be in each response. Some may have a full word like "GREEN", which obviously makes it much easier, but the categories where each word starts with a single letter. I've perused the j-archive and I'm not sure if these word categories use the same words that frequently, especially when there are so many words out there, am I wrong? Also when it comes to categories with languages, I learned Spanish in middle and high school and thankfully much of that I have retained to do well in questions and helping to figure out other languages sometimes. But how do you guys go about French, Latin, Hebrew, and other languages to figure out what they mean? Thanks again!

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:43 pm

oduguy22 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:04 pm
But how do you guys go about French, Latin, Hebrew, and other languages to figure out what they mean? Thanks again!
Learn Latin and Greek roots; these will help on Jeopardy in science and nature categories, not just wordplay/vocabulary. Wikipedia has lists of "Greek and Latin roots in English". As for words and phrases in other languages, I would suggest that it's not efficient to study these for purposes of appearing on Jeopardy. Of course it's worth while to learn some French if you want to converse with francophones, or watch French films or whatever, but I wouldn't do it just for Jeopardy.