Wednesday, February 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:28 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:21 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 pm Ken can do no wrong! (except mispronounce Titian)
Yeah, that was odd.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 pm Did anyone else think the "read one mind" answer was weird? I've never heard that expression. Read one's mind, sure. The clue was: "To ascertain one person's thoughts, as by telepathy"
Seemed to me there was an edit there, but it certainly is an odd answer. Not sure exactly what they were looking for (maybe "read his/her mind? I don't recall the wording of the clue).
I went with 'read the mind' and counted it since all the ways I've heard it don't use a 3-letter word in the middle...
Makes sense that was the expected response. Poor clue.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

I figured they wanted “read the mind” but that sure is not how the phrase usually is used, so they’d have to take his, her, and anything else that fit. “Read one mind” seemed a bit iffy but wouldn’t really be fair to neg it as nothing makes it wrong.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 pm I had to look this up since I've never heard it the way Ken pronounced it. His real first name was Tiziano, pronounced Tit-zha-no, so you could make an argument for Ken's pronunciation.
There was a link to Ken's twitter feed on FB. On there he stated that he did it that way, just like E. Buzz Miller (whoever that is) does.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:30 pm
This Yankee knows July 1 and October 12 as Independence/Thanksgiving days with December 26 as Boxing Day thanks to my many Canuck contacts.
Good effort and very close!
July 1 - Canada Day (whether or not Canada was independent on July 1 1867 is a matter of some debate...)
Thanksgiving Day - 2nd Monday in October
Wrestling Day - When we all listen to the bob and Doug McKenzie album that all 12 year old boys got for Christmas in 1981.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

boson wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:40 pm Wrestling Day - When we all listen to the bob and Doug McKenzie album that all 12 year old boys got for Christmas in 1981.
Does everyone congregate at Peter's Donuts to do this? Get a cruller for me next time.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I think they could fix the format by playing three full games over three days instead of two over three days. They can film all the exposition they want, and tell viewers to go to the website if they want to watch videos of strategy and biography. All Alex had to say was, earlier this season we had a draft where team captains picked their team, and they take turns playing each round. Also, it was pretty anticlimactic that only one team was eliminated after six days of play, I know, you want to win the series to make it to the finals instead of relying on a wild card win.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:37 pm I figured they wanted “read the mind” but that sure is not how the phrase usually is used, so they’d have to take his, her, and anything else that fit. “Read one mind” seemed a bit iffy but wouldn’t really be fair to neg it as nothing makes it wrong.
Leonard and Roger are on Reddit tonight and Leonard discussed this. He started with Read One's mind and fitted it to the category on the fly. They were looking for his/her but ruled quickly and it was a short delay. It was a clunker of a clue to force the 4/3/4 format from the more common usages of the phrase. I think the vibe is that they would accept any mutilation that fit for the middle word.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:40 pm
Euphonium wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 pm Shocked that no one got Five and Dime, especially after Seth set it up for them.
It's a pretty generational term. I know it only because I'm a retail historian. I only barely remember seeing any of the big dime store names in operation, and I'm 31. Most of them went through myriads of closures in the 80s and early 90s, and from what I can gather, the few that hung on to the very end were pretty rough looking, antiquated stores that no one wanted to shop at anymore. So pretty much what Kmart has been for the past 15 years.
I was also surprised that it played as a TS, especially in light of this reference to the term
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:21 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 pm Ken can do no wrong! (except mispronounce Titian)
Yeah, that was odd.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 pm Did anyone else think the "read one mind" answer was weird? I've never heard that expression. Read one's mind, sure. The clue was: "To ascertain one person's thoughts, as by telepathy"
Seemed to me there was an edit there, but it certainly is an odd answer. Not sure exactly what they were looking for (maybe "read his/her mind? I don't recall the wording of the clue).
"Read his mind" is what I came up with at the time, but maybe "Read the mind"?

EDIT: Others have suggested the same, I see.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

52 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Humble, Portland, Five and Dime, Desert, July 1st, Cro-Magnon

Missed the two stumpers in Recent Books, but got the other three. Missed two of the African-American Actresses and two of the 4,3,4.

I missed a couple more clues, but I don't remember which categories they were in.
Douglas Squasoni
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

boson wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:40 pm July 1 - Canada Day (whether or not Canada was independent on July 1 1867 is a matter of some debate...)
I wouldn't say there's "debate" on that, just a lot of misinformation: a survey of Canadians found that 74% wrongly believed Canada's independence was in 1867, but no serious historian would take that position. On July 1, 1867 Canada became a self-governing "dominion" (as the Jeopardy! writers correctly put it) but Canada was not an independent country until more than 50 years later. It is simply wrong to refer to July 1 as Canada's independence day.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

For Pangea, would my response of ‘landmass’ have prompted a BMS? I’ve never heard the term supercontinent before
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

goongas wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:43 pm I think they could fix the format by playing three full games over three days instead of two over three days. They can film all the exposition they want, and tell viewers to go to the website if they want to watch videos of strategy and biography.
I suggested this idea to Mrs Penguin earlier tonight. Put the extra stuff on the web and direct us there. She said, "Yeah, but then we wouldn't have watched it." Which is a fair point.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:08 am For Pangea, would my response of ‘landmass’ have prompted a BMS? I’ve never heard the term supercontinent before
that is what i went with
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:47 am
goongas wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:43 pm I think they could fix the format by playing three full games over three days instead of two over three days. They can film all the exposition they want, and tell viewers to go to the website if they want to watch videos of strategy and biography.
I suggested this idea to Mrs Penguin earlier tonight. Put the extra stuff on the web and direct us there. She said, "Yeah, but then we wouldn't have watched it." Which is a fair point.
the die hard geeks who watch because of the show would have...those who only watch for the trivia value, yeah that would be a no
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

I stumbled on "read [x] mind" partly because Alex didn't adequately explain the category. I assumed the 3-word phrases had to be 4-letter, 3-letter, and 4-letter words, but when that clue was the first selection, I hesitated. In common speech I'd have probably used the singular they ("read their mind"), but I went from there to "read one's mind," which didn't fit either. It seems awkward to go from "one person" to a specific gendered pronoun with no other context.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I thought Pangea started to break up 100 million years ago... It came together during the Permian - Triassic extinction 252 mya.

Seeing Ken dominate against high caliber competition makes me wish they had an All Star tournament every two years.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 33,000
44 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: five-and-dime, Desert, July 1, Cro-Magnon

Like others, I'm sad to see Julia and Ben go so soon. That said, I'm glad Colby and Pam are still around.

Like Matt, I wavered between Velvet Revolution and Velvet Divorce before locking in the right response. They're related, but Revolution refers to the move from communist authoritarian rule to democracy in Czechoslovakia in 1989, whereas Divorce refers to the amicable split (conscious uncoupling?) of the Czech Republic and Slovakia four years later.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:41 pm "These Ray-Bans"? You mean there's more than one kind of Ray-Bans?!
Yeah. Tom Cruise even helped to popularize two different models:

Wayfarers, Risky Business, 1983

Aviators, Top Gun, 1986
Sprinkles are for winners.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Read one mind and you've read them all.

"Come Back to the Five & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean" was a movie as recently as, um, 1982 (though the play was a bit earlier).

Memo to the archivists: St. "Paddy's" Day, not St. "Patty's". For details, see paddynotpatty.com.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:52 am Yeah. Tom Cruise even helped to popularize two different models:
I've heard of Wayfarers and Aviators, but never knew they were a subset of Ray-Bans. I thought each was its own thing.