Thursday, February 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Thursday, February 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

I should have put in the original post that any listicle found on the Internet should be taken with a grain of salt. But yes, as our fine feathered friend points out, there's quite a few that should have been included.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:44 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:04 pm
alietr wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:16 am I just came across a Pitchfork list of 50 Best Movie Soundtracks of All Time which had Pulp Fiction as #10:

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an ... me/?page=5
Woof. What an awful list. I mean, I wasn't expecting Thief or The Grey Fox, even though those soundtracks totally belong on such a list. But not even Chariots of Fire or Blade Runner? Or The Muppet Movie? Baby Driver? Brazil? Mulholland Drive? Dr. Zhivago? Lawrence of Arabia? The Godfather? The Sting? Star Wars? E.T.? Koyaanisqatsi? Wow.
On the one hand, they did say 'soundtrack' and not 'score,' which eliminates most of those (and Baby Driver might be too new? I didn't check the date on the list)...but they somehow shoehorned in The Shining anyway...
Also 2001. Maybe the criterion was that the soundtrack had to include vocals or be from a Kubrick film?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:46 pm I should have put in the original post that any listicle found on the Internet should be taken with a grain of salt. But yes, as our fine feathered friend points out, there's quite a few that should have been included.
I like to complain. You shouldn't take that away from me by including preemptive caveats.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:58 pm
Volante wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:44 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:04 pm
alietr wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:16 am I just came across a Pitchfork list of 50 Best Movie Soundtracks of All Time which had Pulp Fiction as #10:

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an ... me/?page=5
Woof. What an awful list. I mean, I wasn't expecting Thief or The Grey Fox, even though those soundtracks totally belong on such a list. But not even Chariots of Fire or Blade Runner? Or The Muppet Movie? Baby Driver? Brazil? Mulholland Drive? Dr. Zhivago? Lawrence of Arabia? The Godfather? The Sting? Star Wars? E.T.? Koyaanisqatsi? Wow.
On the one hand, they did say 'soundtrack' and not 'score,' which eliminates most of those (and Baby Driver might be too new? I didn't check the date on the list)...but they somehow shoehorned in The Shining anyway...
Also 2001. Maybe the criterion was that the soundtrack had to include vocals or be from a Kubrick film?
I was considering if it was -just- 2001, to say they considered a soundtrack as consisting of previously written material, which would still allow 2001. The Shining used new material though, so I got flummoxed
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

DBear wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:33 pm This was an incredible Final Jeopardy clue, especially considering this tournament and situation, maybe even one of the best in the history of the show, taking situation into account.
Agreed, this was a great FJ. Took me about 20 seconds to get it. 8-) Louie Louie would've been a great joke answer. :mrgreen:
There's even a VERY tenuous connection, since Louis Prima voiced one of the main characters in the Disney animated version, although his character was not in Kipling's original but was added by Disney. He played "King Louie," the ape who sang "I Wanna Be Like You."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.