Monday, January 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

julycoaron
Contributor

Re: Monday, January 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by julycoaron »

1920's Radio Characters - Freeman Gosden and Charles Correll began portraying this duo on radio in 1928.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Spoiler
Who are Fibber McGee and Molly?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

julycoaron wrote:1920's Radio Characters - Freeman Gosden and Charles Correll began portraying this duo on radio in 1928.
Isn't that
Spoiler
Amos and Andy
?
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

SavoyGirl wrote:
SkoolRN wrote:
SavoyGirl wrote:Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

It was particularly painful to see Kate blow it as her story was mine. I was a kid watching the Fleming Jeopardy and I, too, applied to be a contestant as soon as I turned 18. And also didn't make it. I thought I had a long wait till I finally made it (at 40) but Kate waited at least a decade longer. And then.....

Sigh.
In Kate's defense, it's nerve-wracking when you're up there.
Of course I know that. I was there too. But they DO give you unlimited time to calculate your FJ wager.
And that's what makes this blown wager all the more heartbreaking. Still, that was a really amazing comeback to watch, even if it didn't quite go all the way.
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

opusthepenguin wrote:I remember seeing syndicated episodes of Bewitched, and My Three Sons--and The Brady Bunch, for that matter--in black and white.
If you were seeing "The Brady Bunch" in black and white, it was either the fault of your TV or the local station that was carrying it -- "The Brady Bunch" was in color for its entire run. (It premiered in the fall of 1969, at which point all three networks' entire prime-time lineups had been in color for a couple of years.)

Fun fact: the local TV station in Tampa on which I watched "Brady Bunch" reruns was, in the early '80s, still airing old prints that had the show's original "In Color" intro at the beginning (as seen in this YouTube video).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

trainman wrote:Fun fact: the local TV station in Tampa on which I watched "Brady Bunch" reruns was, in the early '80s, still airing old prints that had the show's original "In Color" intro at the beginning (as seen in this YouTube video).
One of my favourite shows from when I was a teenager (or maybe later) had that "In Color" thing at the beginning of every episode. 20 points for naming the series.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

bpmod wrote:
Volante wrote:
John Boy wrote: A question for you others who watched this: I was unclear as to whether Kate said she simply tried out, or that she actually made it to the show in the Fleming era. When she said she did well up until the last question, that sounded as if she lost a game on a missed FJ. Did I misunderstand? Was she a contestant or simply a wannabe?
The impression I got was she tried out, but the last audition question she bombed on.
That's the impression I got too. But would bombing one question eliminate you from getting on?

Brian
No, and that's my confusion. They tell us at live auditions that certainly it's better to answer clues correctly during the mock game, but that no one gets dumped from the pool for missing an item or two. They already know you passed the quiz and are therefore qualified (information-wise) to be a contestant. She made it sound as if she lost a game by missing FJ.

Unless.....she was doing the mock game, and they asked for Pat Nixon, and she answered Toronto....hmmmmmmm.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Rex Kramer wrote:Interesting that this episode featured both a Fleming-era fan and an FJ on 1960s TV. Had she actually managed to play during the Fleming era, an analogously fair FJ category would have been something like "1920s Radio Characters". I wonder if she would have gotten a clue in that category correct.

Rex

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

John Boy wrote:Unless.....she was doing the mock game, and they asked for Pat Nixon, and she answered Toronto....hmmmmmmm.
I wouldn't think that would jeopardize your getting on. Unless maybe your name isn't Watson.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Volante wrote: The impression I got was she tried out, but the last audition question she bombed on.
That's the impression I got too. But would bombing one question eliminate you from getting on?

Brian
No, and that's my confusion. They tell us at live auditions that certainly it's better to answer clues correctly during the mock game, but that no one gets dumped from the pool for missing an item or two. They already know you passed the quiz and are therefore qualified (information-wise) to be a contestant. She made it sound as if she lost a game by missing FJ.

Unless.....she was doing the mock game, and they asked for Pat Nixon, and she answered Toronto....hmmmmmmm.
We can't assume the audition process now is the same as back then, though. We'd need someone who went through it to give a recollection.

I'd be certain though if she was ON the Fleming version it would have been clearly mentioned as such (because, face it, being on the show would be a better story than simply auditioning for it).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

bpmod wrote:
trainman wrote:Fun fact: the local TV station in Tampa on which I watched "Brady Bunch" reruns was, in the early '80s, still airing old prints that had the show's original "In Color" intro at the beginning (as seen in this YouTube video).
One of my favourite shows from when I was a teenager (or maybe later) had that "In Color" thing at the beginning of every episode. 20 points for naming the series.

Brian
My first guess would be Batman. But I'm really hoping you meant Police Squad!.

Of course, the best example was The FBI -- because it not only spelled out "In Color" on the screen, but had the wonderful narrator Marvin Miller say over the title card: "Next -- The FBI. In Color!" (Yes, it was Marvin Miller whom Zucker/Abrams/Zucker hired to narrate Police Squad!, too. AFAIC Miller belongs right up there with Ravenscroft and Cullen. No, not Bill Cullen.)

Rex
Last edited by Rex Kramer on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:I remember seeing syndicated episodes of Bewitched, and My Three Sons--and The Brady Bunch, for that matter--in black and white.
If you were seeing "The Brady Bunch" in black and white, it was either the fault of your TV or the local station that was carrying it -- "The Brady Bunch" was in color for its entire run. (It premiered in the fall of 1969, at which point all three networks' entire prime-time lineups had been in color for a couple of years.)

Fun fact: the local TV station in Tampa on which I watched "Brady Bunch" reruns was, in the early '80s, still airing old prints that had the show's original "In Color" intro at the beginning (as seen in this YouTube video).
Huh. Now that you mention it, my memory of that first show does involve an old black and white TV that was not my normal viewing device.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
John Boy wrote:Unless.....she was doing the mock game, and they asked for Pat Nixon, and she answered Toronto....hmmmmmmm.
I wouldn't think that would jeopardize your getting on. Unless maybe your name isn't Watson.
Much hay has been made about his "Toronto" response, but keep in mind his percentage that he got right, well over the 70% (allegedly) required to pass the online test. Even if Watson answered "Toronto" on the online test, he'd have no problem getting a passing score.
Volante wrote:We can't assume the audition process now is the same as back then, though. We'd need someone who went through it to give a recollection.

I'd be certain though if she was ON the Fleming version it would have been clearly mentioned as such (because, face it, being on the show would be a better story than simply auditioning for it).
Paging Burns Cameron aka third degree!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Rex Kramer wrote:My first guess would be Batman. But I'm really hoping you meant Police Squad!.

Rex
Yes, it was definitely one of those two...

But...

How old do you think I am!!?!?!?

Brian

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

bpmod wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:My first guess would be Batman. But I'm really hoping you meant Police Squad!.

Rex
Yes, it was definitely one of those two...

But...

How old do you think I am!!?!?!?

Brian
Reruns! There are always reruns!

Rex
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Rex Kramer wrote:Reruns! There are always reruns!

Rex
I tried to imply by my words "show.. from when I was a teenager" that I wasn't talking reruns. Notice I didn't say "show I watched as a teen".

But, I guess I have to admit that almost every show I have enjoyed, I have not seen during its first run.

Brian