Monday, March 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:33 pm As someone not in your league or the All-Stars I would say the material over the 9 games so far has had portions above regular play while many categories have not been difficult at all in creating kind of an uneven mix.
I agree. Seems like a good amount of standard game level difficulty, with just a smattering of more difficult clues. I'm sure they don't want to make it so difficult that Joe viewer sitting at home doesn't know any of the answers.
While I don't keep my score, I agree that the difficulty is mixed with some real trap clues. To wit, Pam seemed surprised to win the buzzer on the first clue of the game and went south $800 as a result, with no rebound from Ken or Brad. Either they are amazing at staying CLAM, or were grateful to lose the opening buzzer race.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I wonder how the producers ensure the teams are all working fairly and individually without collusion? During regular play, the producers are quite scrupulous to avoid opponents who know each other.

In this tournament we have opponents who have known each other for up to 20 years.

Please note: I don't think anything is going on, and it sure seems like everyone is doing their best, but you don't have to do too much digging on twitter to see opponents in this tournament hanging out together outside of Jeopardy.

Why is it ok here, but not for regular contestants?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:15 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:39 pm The questions are too easy. It’s a buzzer race and honestly it’s not great viewing for that reason
you think? i might have got the least correct of any jeopardy episode in recent memory
Consider the source. Austin Powers (the boardie, not the movie character) is no mere mortal.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:37 pm I wonder if the difficulty in the FJs kept Ken and Brad from going really huge in today’s game? An instsget for me.

They should have made this a three day final with everyone playing one round.
Exactly!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

boson wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:58 pm I wonder how the producers ensure the teams are all working fairly and individually without collusion? During regular play, the producers are quite scrupulous to avoid opponents who know each other.
NO COLLUSION!!!!!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I was amused by the discussion of the "opening collage." Every time I see that thing I crack up.

I mean, let's face it, this tournament features 18 UBER-NERDS!!! And I say that with all the fondness in the world, because I have been a nerd since before the word was invented and I embrace my nerdiness whole-heartedly. That's one of the reasons I don't try to present an aura of being a bad-ass. I know how ridiculous I would look in the effort.

And yet, here TPTB have 18 nerds striding purposefully into view, looking for all the world like that scene in "Tombstone" when the Earps are marching down the streets of the city to do battle with the Clantons at the OK Corral. Bad-ass nerds? Cracks me up!
davey

Post by davey »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:40 am I recognized all those celebrity faces EXCEPT W. Kamau Bell :(
Speaking of which, shouldn't Ken have been ruled wrong on this? The guy's first name is Walter...(I would have accepted W., but not just Kamau Bell, considering Alex's instructions...)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:10 am
econgator wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:56 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:16 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:06 pm Lot of Canadian material today.

I'm not liking this team format. I'd rather be watching Ken and Brad go at it for the full game. This calling in of the B Squad and the C Squad is is is is just not working.

Matt has not gotten any more civil with practice. He's still a blowhard who interrupts Alex. That is not cool.
about the only thing i like about that POS
How about we eliminate the name-calling?
how about calling out the original poster for calling him a name in his post?
Or better yet, how about BOTH of you (Gator and Casket) go back and read JBoard's rules and stop posting insulting comments and maintain some civility? Maybe a time-out would help the two of you focus on that.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

"Arabian" seemed way overvalued at $1200, given that they gave you the geographic region and essentially said "name a sea that shares its name with a peninsula". I seriously wonder if it was a replacement clue.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

John Boy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:22 pm I was amused by the discussion of the "opening collage." Every time I see that thing I crack up.

I mean, let's face it, this tournament features 18 UBER-NERDS!!! And I say that with all the fondness in the world, because I have been a nerd since before the word was invented and I embrace my nerdiness whole-heartedly. That's one of the reasons I don't try to present an aura of being a bad-ass. I know how ridiculous I would look in the effort.

And yet, here TPTB have 18 nerds striding purposefully into view, looking for all the world like that scene in "Tombstone" when the Earps are marching down the streets of the city to do battle with the Clantons at the OK Corral. Bad-ass nerds? Cracks me up!
Yeah, I love it. It's so clearly intentionally-over-the-top satire of televised sports production and presentation.