Wednesday, March 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:29 pm

The engineering angle made me think of "lashback" at first, but then I realized they wanted "backlash." My wife also got it quickly without needing the engineering angle whatsoever. Based on the responses so far it does seem like this was an odd triple stumper.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:31 pm

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:57 pm
DBear wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:39 pm
I would have negged galley without a second thought, as it has nothing to do with cleanliness as mess does. :x
Near instaget FJ . Amused that all three came up with 8-letter wrong responses. :lol:
Tease-out metric has historically not been considered sufficient to rule against an otherwise correct response.
And it shouldn't be. The TOM is intended as a hint, not to absolutely pin the correct response.

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:10 am

Category 13 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:01 pm
Volante wrote: I had blowback for FJ...fit the first half and couldn't come up with anything better to fit the second.
For me, it was pushback.

"Pushback" was the word that made me uncomfortable, though I had "backlash" pretty quickly. The latter of course is much more famous, but "pushback" might have been a hot trending word, just due to really break out on the big stage.

I don't think "blowback" works. At least as I am used to seeing it, it doesn't mean a reaction against a trend but rather an unintended, unfortunate byproduct, a classic example being the USA's backing of the mujahideen in Soviet-occupied Afghanistan helping to launch the Taliban to power.
I'm smart and I want respect.

LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:40 am

53 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Alphanumeric Athletes, Forecastle, and Squeeze.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Rhodes, (Machometer), Tsunami, Robinson Crusoe, Unbreak My Heart, Can't Feel My Face, Zymurgy

Also said Galley for Sailor Talk $400.
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:27 am

Coryat: 33,800
47 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Rhodes; machometer (DD); LaDainian Tomlinson; "Un-Break My Heart"; "Can't Feel My Face"

The Rhodes clue was cute.

The clue on DD1 certainly seemed to be contrasting tachometer with "machometer," so I was a bit bummed when Alex revealed Machmeter (with no "O") as the correct response. Luckily, the OED has machometer as a variant form.

I was dating a girl whose mother liked to play an adult contemporary radio station in the house as evening entertainment when "Un-Break My Heart" was in heavy rotation. If I never hear that song again, it will be too soon.
twelvefootboy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:51 pm
IMHO, "blowback" is a better response to the "reaction against a trend" TOM. I think it has supplanted "backlash" for this purpose.
In my experience, "backlash" refers to a reaction against a trend, such as when the public sours on a band that has been insanely popular. "Blowback" tends to refer to a negative reaction to any sort of action, such as when a politician receives angry calls and emails from his constituents for having voted for or against a particular bill.
Sprinkles are for winners.

yclept
Valued Contributor

Post by yclept » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:38 am

twelvefootboy wrote:

Kind of a bummer ending, the guys were visibly disappointed and played a much better game. But, FJ happens.
“Much better” is a stretch, no? Their DD wagers were a bit soft and the Coryat scores were close.

chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:42 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:27 am
In my experience, "backlash" refers to a reaction against a trend, such as when the public sours on a band that has been insanely popular. "Blowback" tends to refer to a negative reaction to any sort of action, such as when a politician receives angry calls and emails from his constituents for having voted for or against a particular bill.
I agree. But there are a surprising number of responses that fit pretty well.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:50 pm

I was intrigued by the "Selkirk-Robinson Crusoe" clue (another TS). In a J! contestant quiz a few years ago they gave us a similar clue, asking which fictional character was based on the real-life shipwreck of Selkirk. I got this one immediately, largely from having learned it from that quiz. Ran the categories: sailor, 19th-century people.

Not quite instaget FJ, but I eventually sussed it out.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:00 pm

Category 13 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:01 pm
RobW wrote:Props to Dana for the savvy wager!
But really, it was just common sense & logic.
True, but it's amazing how often logic seems to elude contestants wagering for FJ. I give full props for doing the math under pressure!

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:48 pm

yclept wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:38 am
twelvefootboy wrote:

Kind of a bummer ending, the guys were visibly disappointed and played a much better game. But, FJ happens.
“Much better” is a stretch, no? Their DD wagers were a bit soft and the Coryat scores were close.
Point taken. It just seemed like a methodical beatdown by Tim but looking at the game dynamics, Dana stayed in reach. I've always wished for a full time on screen graphic, it's too much concentration to follow the game progress by catching the quick glimpse after each question call.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:12 am

In trying to check just now the authenticity of a shockingly stupid comment allegedly* made several days ago by a Florida state senator, the first news story linked by Google reports that she has received much "pushback" since.

* Update: you may strike the "allegedly".
I'm smart and I want respect.

Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:23 pm

twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:48 pm
It just seemed like a methodical beatdown by Tim
Tim has been my friend and quiz teammate for over 30 years, and even though he didn't win I'm sure he'll be please to know that he left this impression.
Brian Weikle
Season 19

morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo

Post by morbeedo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:22 pm

Got backlash right away and felt pretty good about it.

I had to pause the clue in SPEED OF SOUND about ark raiders to figure out what the heck they were going for (whip)

Boating terms - nightmare! but got a few. Never heard of the 3 apostrophe word for the forward part of the deck!!

What’s the ruling when you add extra words from a song lyric to the title, like “(you were) always on my mind”?

Oooh, the writers got me again, hiding a theatre category under a vague name like COLD PLAY

This game was a return to the arena of mere mortals, politely calling for clues from top to bottom and content to uncover the DDs as they come

So what’s my wagering takeaway here. Should the leader have bet to tie?

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:40 pm

Coelacanth wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:23 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:48 pm
It just seemed like a methodical beatdown by Tim
Tim has been my friend and quiz teammate for over 30 years, and even though he didn't win I'm sure he'll be please to know that he left this impression.
Well he did take the lead and held off challenges for 58 clues. FJ is a cruel mistress. And tell him he looks great and to keep running!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:45 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:22 pm
So what’s my wagering takeaway here. Should the leader have bet to tie?
Eh, any wager to cover opens you up to losing by the amount you cover by. He did everything he could except for getting FJ right.

danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:19 am

Anyone know the details of Eric’s radio days. My wife grew up in Cinci but was in grade school back then. Voice is familiar she says.