First-season contestant story from 1964

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

First-season contestant story from 1964

Post by Robert K S »

1964-12-24 Plain Dealer - Frank Dillon contestant story - small.png
1964-12-24 Plain Dealer - Frank Dillon contestant story - small.png (322.94 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: First-season contestant story from 1964

Post by MarkBarrett »

Great find with the Frank Dillon story and thanks so much for sharing. He was unforgettable for his success on The Joker's Wild and it was a such a treat when he showed up in the Seniors Tournament.

I added a line on his bio page for his Fleming appearance: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9253

With the expectation I have his 1987 J! semis game I'll add that this summer.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm confused by the math. He says there are 1000 applicants each month and 40 appear on the program. That's 1 in 25, right? He then says "Obviously, more women apply than men." (If that's true, when did that change? Or did it?) Thus "only one out of every 20 women are selected." So... the general chance to get on the show is 1 in 25. But if you're a woman, the chance goes up to 1 in 20 because MORE women apply?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:57 pmIf that's true, when did that change? Or did it?
I can't speak to Dillon's math but you can see the discussion over on the Fleming ToCs thread about women on J! in the '60s. The testing and taping commitments likely meant that the applicant pool was largely housewives, who at that time were also the show's big audience, since it generally aired at noon.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:55 pm Great find with the Frank Dillon story and thanks so much for sharing. He was unforgettable for his success on The Joker's Wild and it was a such a treat when he showed up in the Seniors Tournament.

I added a line on his bio page for his Fleming appearance: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9253

With the expectation I have his 1987 J! semis game I'll add that this summer.
Was he the one who gave his winnings to cancer research?
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Cool thread!!

So, in season 1 the second (and third?) place contestants kept their final total? I had seen in other backstories that they changed the rules to encourage playing to win. But how did they morph from this to those awful cringeworthy prizes, lol..

Thanks for all the hard work from all you guys building the archives.

I had no idea that Carmen was in French, or any Opera for that matter :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:10 pm So, in season 1 the second (and third?) place contestants kept their final total? I had seen in other backstories that they changed the rules to encourage playing to win. But how did they morph from this to those awful cringeworthy prizes, lol..
The entire Art Fleming run had contestants keep the cash they won. It was only when it returned in 1984 did they change the rule (because the stakes were higher).
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They said they did it to assure that people would play FJ competitively and that people just wouldn’t cash out and bet zero. It also reduces the show’s budget by quite a bit.

Supposedly a guy in the Fleming era wanted to win enough to buy an engagement ring and quit buzzing in when he reached the amount he wanted.

I don’t have a problem with the guarenteed money for the non-winners, but I think they should at least get them a free hotel room. Work out a deal with a hotel in exchange for an on air plug. At least they get money now instead of the prizes they used to give that they had to pay taxes on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was laughing at how describing one of your opponents as a "lovely housewife" would go over today.