Friday, March 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mikebdoss »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:34 pm weird...had never heard of don francisco before last night...came across him when i was doing research on jews in south america...odd he comes up tonight...instaget on that triple stumper because of that stumble upon last night
If you can ever find old episodes of Sabado Gigante (it's off the air now), take a watch. It's a true variety show - game shows, dancing girls, tearjerker interviews, more dancing girls, and all sorts of people in costume. It built on itself for 50 years and was an amazing institution.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

mikebdoss wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:22 am
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:34 pm weird...had never heard of don francisco before last night...came across him when i was doing research on jews in south america...odd he comes up tonight...instaget on that triple stumper because of that stumble upon last night
If you can ever find old episodes of Sabado Gigante (it's off the air now), take a watch. It's a true variety show - game shows, dancing girls, tearjerker interviews, more dancing girls, and all sorts of people in costume. It built on itself for 50 years and was an amazing institution.
i have seen clips of the show before, but never knew the dude's name
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:31 pm I normally don't pay attention to the contestant interviews, but Josh's last words are particularly haunting given recent events. :shock:
Instaget FJ. I guess it does help to be of a certain age. :geek:
Yeah, that has to come in handy some times. Uh, doesn't it?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Didn't expect Dana to go on a long streak of wins, but sorry to see her go. She went out the same way she always played, solid, and ending with another perfect FJ wager. And that's the same way Conor came in. His $400 may have seemed too small, and I imagine friends at his watch party will ask him why he wagered so small, but it was the perfect bet that would have won even if he had missed FJ.

LT: Everett Dirksen (which I precalled for "The Senator from Illinois"), Petrushka, and venus flytrap.

For those too young to remember, Dirksen famously said of the federal government, "a billion dollars here, a billion there, and pretty soon it starts to add up to real money."

Instaget on Hoffa gives me a 5-for-five FJ week! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Sometimes a little knowledge isn’t enough on Jeopardy! “Who is Coppelia?”

Instaget FJ. It helps to watch Millionaire, as I remembered a recent question about Hoffa and Detroit. Lots of crossover clues with Jeopardy!, WWTBAM, LL, etc.

Never met Conor, but we have just one degree of separation. Our mutual acquaintance spoiled the outcome, but in the last moments, and after FJ was revealed, I really doubted he would win. Hope he wins a few more

It’s too bad Josh found the first DD in SHAKESPEARIENCED so quickly, but turned out he didn’t know it, or he did, but he answered too quickly

GEOGRAPH”EE” DD for $800 screamed TDD

PLANT-ED for $2000, meh, $100. Should have been much harder

Seems like Alex should have directed the players to give 2 words in SWAP A VOWEL. He didn’t specify, so he had to give the second word for each clue. Awkward
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

morbeedo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:58 am Seems like Alex should have directed the players to give 2 words in SWAP A VOWEL. He didn’t specify, so he had to give the second word for each clue. Awkward
The clue only asked for one word. "A blah blah becomes THIS blah blah" Alex gives the second word for the people at home. (And yes, some people see the on screen graphic, but some don't. Also why he spelled gaol)

Compare against ANAGRAMS... in this game, which need both: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4900
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Volante wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:09 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:58 am Seems like Alex should have directed the players to give 2 words in SWAP A VOWEL. He didn’t specify, so he had to give the second word for each clue. Awkward
The clue only asked for one word. "A blah blah becomes THIS blah blah" Alex gives the second word for the people at home. (And yes, some people see the on screen graphic, but some don't. Also why he spelled gaol)

Compare against ANAGRAMS... in this game, which need both: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4900
Right, but I still think the category didn’t flow well
davey

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:31 pm I normally don't pay attention to the contestant interviews, but Josh's last words are particularly haunting given recent events. :shock:
Instaget FJ. I guess it does help to be of a certain age. :geek:
I'd say Josh's last words were a pretty lame excuse for not seeing the Great Wall...He's had so much time to think of a better response...
Since Conor was surely the youngest of the contestants it's odd that people keep bringing up age for this FJ...
Also, more than one of us have said they considered Kevorkian, as Josh did. I don't get it...Surely a doctor declared him dead, not a judge...
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Personally, I like the interviews (when and if the contestant is given an opportunity to speak in sentences and relax a bit)
I wonder how the "skippers" would respond if they made it to the show and no interest was shown by the audience or their acquaintances to their moment in the spotlight. I think it adds favorably to the program.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

flemmingfan wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:42 pm Personally, I like the interviews (when and if the contestant is given an opportunity to speak in sentences and relax a bit)
I wonder how the "skippers" would respond if they made it to the show and no interest was shown by the audience or their acquaintances to their moment in the spotlight. I think it adds favorably to the program.
Everyone watches for different reasons. Jeopardy interviews are short (and I watch live), so skipping is unnecessary. On other shows ("The Wall" is the best example), though, there's SO MUCH about the contestants that it ruins the rest of the gameplay, and it's all worth skipping. And as a one-time game show contestant who had an embarrassing story, I would have been 100% totally happy with people skipping it.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

When I watch American Ninja Warrior, I usually FF through the contestant background stuff. Cuts the show from 2 hours to 1.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 43,000
49 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Mark Antony (DD), Rihanna, Leeward Islands, Venus flytrap, Sábado Gigante

I also had this FJ! pegged as a triple-get. Then again, I'm sure that if and when I get The Call and miss FJ!, others will say the same about my clue. Different people know different things, and sometimes the TOMs don't click.

Papyrus was an embarrassingly easy $2000 clue, particularly as a DD.
Sprinkles are for winners.