Jeopardy click bait for a rainy day or if you have no life

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Jeopardy click bait for a rainy day or if you have no life

Post by twelvefootboy »

Mods: Please delete this new thread attempt instantaneously if you see fit. Google trolled me with this click bait puff piece about J! from May 2018 and I found no references to it in the threads of that epoch. I am making no money from spreading spam but I do have a deal working on a Nigerian Oil contract :lol:

I about broke even on the 25 clicks, and picked up a little tidbit or two. They dissed Leonard Cooper unfairly and they love them some Brad Rutter. Also some weird errors like Jackie Fox's appearance in 2014 :roll: and Austin's cool $50K bankroll from his appearances. And of course the clickbait image didn't load on the 23rd(?) slide about the stupid answer contestant that was cut.

Notable TIL's:
There's been a blind contestant, and 5 day champ. Cool.
AT is credited for (fluency in) 17 languages. Not buying it. I think I can NAME that many.
Eye contact with the judges is forbidden. Makes sense.
I finally understand the garden tool anecdote - and didn't know it was Ken Jennings.

Boardies: you was warned. It's 25 clicks and scrolls. I am not to blame if you get bombed with Kardashian clickbait off this browser history. I looked at it so you don't have to :lol:

ETA: THE FRICKIN' LINK
http://www.eternallifestyle.com/living/ ... 13bd7b.jpg
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Jeopardy click bait for a rainy day or if you have no life

Post by Robert K S »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:18 pmAT is credited for (fluency in) 17 languages. Not buying it. I think I can NAME that many.
"17" was a joke response he once gave. He grew up with French and some Ukrainian, the latter of which he probably forgot, if he ever really learned it, and has claimed to be able to get along in Spanish, Italian, Russian, and Swahili. (Not sure if he was joking about that last one.) Based on his pronunciation ability, it's a decent bet that he's also studied some German. So that would make somewhere between 5-7 languages, and probably only two of them really fluent. Actually, if it can't all be chalked up to poor hearing, I think his French is rusty, too. He wasn't able to fully make out a question given to him in French at the recent Q&A at the Y in NYC. (I'm not fluent in French, but I understood the question perfectly from what little I do know.)
Eye contact with the judges is forbidden.
I don't remember being told that. I remember being told not to look into the audience. During one of my games I looked straight at the judges to see their reaction to what I thought was a bad call on one of my responses, which I thought should have been given a BMS instead of a neg.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:09 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:18 pmAT is credited for (fluency in) 17 languages. Not buying it. I think I can NAME that many.
"17" was a joke response he once gave.
Eye contact with the judges is forbidden.
I don't remember being told that. I remember being told not to look into the audience.
Thanks for the 'splanation on the languages. My filter is always on, what's sad is how many people just take anything as fact, such as the author of this slideshow.
I think I paraphrased the eye contact slide correctly but will not go back to check :lol: The implication was that it is due to the game show reforms. Probably has some half-truths to it, but they just implement it on the judges' side.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I didn't know Ken's middle name was Wayne. I thought that was reserved for serial killers. Oh, wait, in a manner of speaking ...

And Austin won more than $50k. And there were a few more errors in there not worth bothering about.