Friday, March 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:05 pm How was "Everest" right in China for $400? I thought Everest was in Nepal? A third 0/5 for me.
Mt Everest is on the border of China (Tibet) and Nepal (the border runs directly through the summit). I used to have a National Geographic map of the mountain with its three names: Everest, Sagarmatha (Nepalese), and Chomolungma (Tibetan). From what I understand, ascents starting from the Nepalese side are easier than those from the Tibetan side, not to mention that it's easier to get permission from the Nepalese government to climb than the Chinese.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

what a horrid wager on the daily double by that person with hardly any clues left....go with the lame 2000 wager and still in 3rd place in a runaway game...why even bother being on the show? you basically solidified yourself 1k for 3rd place and making being on the show a losing venture after taxes and travel expenses
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:38 am Oklahoma is Midwest now?

Not that I shouldn't have gotten the clue anyway, but that threw me off.

ETA, after a bit of googling: There are people who don't consider the Dakotas to be Midwest? For real?
yeah that is news to me...always considered it part of the southwest
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,800
45 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: twist my arm, Rory McIlroy

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE WANT TO WIN THIS GAME?
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:36 pm I guessed right today, though I wasn't certain, naturally assuming that someone named Adolphe was German.
Ditto. I had no idea he was Belgian.
seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:30 pm I had a third correct response for the "bewilder" clue: flummox.
Same here.
Rackme32 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:45 pm I definitely have a problem with the "slice" question in golf. The curving Bubba Watson shot they showed, hit on purpose and landing in the fairway, was a fade. A slice is a wild, accidental curveball that usually misses the fairway, often by a LOT. But they also said they wanted a five-letter response and "fade" has four letters. Therefore, the clue had no correct answer possible.
I was going to complain about this as well. Trust me, I know a slice, and that wasn't no slice.

That wasn't the only problematic clue in the game, either. The $800 clue in The Irish-American Hall Of Fame was obviously about Annie Sullivan, but it didn't actually prompt a response. The text of the clue was "If you're an Irish-American teacher known the world over as 'The Miracle Worker,' you'd likely make the Hall also." Were I on stage, I'd be half-tempted to ring in and say "you're probably right about that, Alex."
Sprinkles are for winners.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:35 pmI'd defend Bianca by pointing out that if they had given her 'vex' the first time, she wouldn't have lost 2000 trying it a second time
Yes, I would have raised a protest.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

ETA, after a bit of googling: There are people who don't consider the Dakotas to be Midwest? For real?
I consider the Midwest to be Northwest Territory+rest of Minnesota, and thought that that was the definition until people expanded it in recent years. The Dakotas are part of the Great Plains. I guess I consider Iowa to be part of both groups, just to keep the real Big Ten area together. I've never heard anyone consider Oklahoma to be in the Midwest except for the HSQB forums.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:17 pm Hmm. This was an instaget for me. Pretty sure Sax was Belgian and not German or French.
This may be a pretty obscure little fact but not of "Liederkranz" proportions. I had heard of the man and his instrument (probably because I've read a lot about music in Europe and in that era) so this was an instaget for me.

Yeah, Bianca had once bright shining chance to get herself into the game, and just decided not to try. And then of course she went almost all-in in FJ, when strategy dictated a much smaller wager. Oh well....

I was so distracted by the Thursday FJ that I neglected to mention my overwhelming impression of the game: WOW, what a comeback by Lindsey. I thought Barton was cruising along until momentarily Lindsey blew his doors off and left him in the dust. That was impressive. And tonight's game was almost as impressive. Many congrats to the champ on two stellar performances, and best retroactive wishes for Monday.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Only missed Annex, Transfix, and Promises, Promises.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Twist My Arm, Rory McIlroy, *Perplex*, Crucifix, Taki Taki, Philip Marlowe, Collins
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

I was impressed by Lindsey's get in the book DD - was there any TOM for that at all? Folks have already disputed it's a Midwest city. I know I read that book's review in the New York Times and I still couldn't recall what it was about. (Maybe Lindsey did too.) Has anybody seen a dictionary definition (or a practical example) where vex means the same as perplex? The reversal caused me vexation and perplexity...definitely 2 separate reactions!
I couldn't think of any other musical instrument invented in the 19th C. and named for someone (I would have guessed the sousaphone was 20th C. - anyway Sousa was born in 1854 and he was American...), so I didn't worry about exactly where in Europe Sax was from...
Lindsey's interview anecdote might have impressed more if she'd mentioned that Kathleen Chalfant was the original star of the play Wit...She was recreating her role for Lindsey's class...A very distinguished actress.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

davey wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 pm I was impressed by Lindsey's get in the book DD - was there any TOM for that at all? Folks have already disputed it's a Midwest city.
What got me there was the year of the city's founding. Oklahoma was the only state I could think of in the middle of the country whose capital city could have been founded as late as 1889.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

harrumph wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:59 pm I'd be happy to see Lindsey in the TOC.

It might be an interesting weekly poll question to have "I knew that Bianca needed to go all in on the last DD".
This suggestion was seen although I passed on it since it could have a negative connotation towards an individual contestant's game play. In the comfort of home it's easy to QB a J! game and I think the daily game threads handle typical observations well enough.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I would like to point out that an addition to a building could also be called an extension.
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:54 am

I consider the Midwest to be Northwest Territory+rest of Minnesota, and thought that that was the definition until people expanded it in recent years. The Dakotas are part of the Great Plains. I guess I consider Iowa to be part of both groups, just to keep the real Big Ten area together. I've never heard anyone consider Oklahoma to be in the Midwest except for the HSQB forums.
Cat, your definition of the Midwest happens to lack. The Midwest is the region of the country that is most easily defined, New England excepted. I tell people to construct a triangle from Columbus to Wichita to Bismarck and it's all of the states in that triangle.

Classifying Oklahoma with the South is problematic because it didn't even exist during the Civil War. But Texas was a confederate State and obviously belongs in the South. And Oklahoma and Texas obviously Belong Together. I don't consider the Southwest to be a region, because California fits more nicely with Oregon and Washington. So Oklahoma is basically a border state, just like some people aren't sure whether West Virginia is part of the Northeast or the South.

I don't consider it to be part of the Midwest, but keep in mind that one of the largest suburbs of Oklahoma City is Midwest City. Many Oklahomans believe themselves to have more in common with Wichita than with Atlanta or Phoenix.
Last edited by floridagator on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:37 pm
davey wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 pm I was impressed by Lindsey's get in the book DD - was there any TOM for that at all? Folks have already disputed it's a Midwest city.
What got me there was the year of the city's founding. Oklahoma was the only state I could think of in the middle of the country whose capital city could have been founded as late as 1889.
This. I also figured Boom Town might be referring to an oil boom. They have oil in Oklahoma. I suppose the rallying cry Boomer Sooner may also be related.
mujason

Post by mujason »

I thought the TOM on the Oklahoma City question was the implied reference to the Oklahoma land rush. By the way, cheaters at the land rush were called "sooners."
-Jason
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Got FJ immediately. If I had been in Lindsey's spot, though, unbeatable, the drum corps nerd in me would have wanted to say "Meehan" just as a shout-out to everyone else out there in the know about his nifty little experiment with the Blue Devils.
floridagator wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:33 pm I would like to point out that an addition to a building could also be called an extension.
Doesn't fit the category, though.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Does Rory watch J!? He may have been motivated this weekend. &^*&@$ heard of me now?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:30 pm I had a third correct response for the "bewilder" clue: flummox.
Same. Should I count it?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:40 am
Same. Should I count it?
Why, hello there!
flum·mox
/ˈfləməks/

verb INFORMAL

perplex (someone) greatly; bewilder.
Yup. Still not sure why they reversed vex.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:59 am Still not sure why they reversed vex.
because it can be a synonym of perplex/flummox as well.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
JErickson2021
Contributor

Post by JErickson2021 »

Taking into partial consideration that A) We haven't had a 5-Day champion in over 100 episodes (roughly 5 months) and B) Lindsey seems to be skilled (albeit a little annoying) at buzzing in and responding to clues correctly (96.1% of the time) with an average Coryat of $22,600, I have a good feeling that we might set history by having the first 5 day champion of 2019. I wish her good luck tonight (It just hit 12:05 AM where I live).