Friday, March 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:59 am
dhkendall wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:40 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:30 pm I had a third correct response for the "bewilder" clue: flummox.
Same. Should I count it?
Why, hello there!
flum·mox
/ˈfləməks/

verb INFORMAL

perplex (someone) greatly; bewilder.
Yup. Still not sure why they reversed vex.
It didn't seem right to me either. Most dictionaries I checked don't have it. But count on the OED-

It's definition 3.b. of 10
b. Of a question, problem, subject, etc.: to present with difficulties with regard to resolution or understanding; to perplex, confound.

a1613 E. Brerewood Enq. Langs. & Relig. (1614) vii. 55 I could produce other forceable reasons, such as might..vex the best wit in the world to giue them iust solution.

1678 P. Walsh Answer Three Treat. Jesuites Loyalty iii. 68 I should think there is an end of the story; and the tedious troublesome question, which has vext us so many years, fully resolved.

1791 A. Radcliffe Romance of Forest II. xi. 172 The question vexed and embarrassed her, and, without answering it, she repeated her inquiry.

1871 W. Markby Elem. Law §531 No subject has vexed English judges more than the question, what remedy a debtor has for a wrongful..sale by a creditor of property which he holds as security.

1928 Sat. Rev. 28 July 115/2 The main problem to vex American judges is the question how far a man can be subjected to a medical examination by someone who is not his doctor at all.

1938 E. Waugh Scoop (1943) ii. ii. 120 Corker reverted to the topic that was vexing him.

1977 Washington Post (Nexis) 14 May a9 Commission members reached no conclusion on another question that has vexed them for months.

2015 Oxf. Mail (Nexis) 27 July (Letters Section) I thought I'd share my perspective on an issue whose solution vexes most of us: NHS treatment in Oxford.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Alex prodded Bianca to get back in the game on that last DD, but her timidity clearly disappointed him ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seems like the rare game where both second round DD are hiding in the $2000 box. Got O’Neill but not Oklahoma

A pox on these players for avoiding the Irish-American Hall of Fame! Kudos to Alex for the nice Irish brogue- though I was eviscerated on the LL message board last year for referring to the holiday as St. Patty’s Day

Count me as another one for flummox
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

mujason wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:51 pm I thought the TOM on the Oklahoma City question was the implied reference to the Oklahoma land rush. By the way, cheaters at the land rush were called "sooners."
Ahh, yes. 1889. It helps to memorize some key dates!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:58 am what a horrid wager on the daily double by that person with hardly any clues left....go with the lame 2000 wager and still in 3rd place in a runaway game...why even bother being on the show? you basically solidified yourself 1k for 3rd place and making being on the show a losing venture after taxes and travel expenses
wow, pretty harsh, bro, but you’re right. I once posted over on reddit, do people go on jeopardy thinking they could win? A lot of people thought it was a stupid question. They missed the point completely ¯\_(ツ)_/¯