Friday, March 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7950, 2019-03-15

CONTESTANTS
Bianca Ligon, a history professor from Baltimore, Maryland
Brad Stylman, a health safety professional from Jersey City, New Jersey
Lindsey Shultz, a physician and health care analyst from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (whose 1-day cash winnings total $35,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. If yesterday's program was any indication, I think we're gonna end this week on Jeopardy! on a very high note. Lindsey was terrific, as you'll recall. She inspires the other players to perform at their very best, to be all you can be. Let's see if it works out. Good luck. Here we go. Categories, please. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ON THE PGA TOUR (4/5)
3-LETTER SCIENCE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHANGE MY MIND (4/5)
SIGNIFICANT OTHERS (5/5)
BEWARE! (5/5)
THE IDES OF MARCH (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lindsey: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Brad: 8 R, 0 W
Bianca: 8 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Bianca: $3,800
Lindsey: $2,200
Brad: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Bianca Ligon is a history professor from Baltimore, Maryland, who used the Jeopardy! logo as part of your baby's crib decorations?

Bianca: Well, we decided--my husband, John, and I decided to create a mobile for our daughter's crib, and we wanted the mobile--the things that hung on the mobile to represent our relationship, you know, before her. And so there were different things on there. Double T for Texas Tech, where I did my undergrad, a caduceus 'cause he's a physician, and also a J! for Jeopardy!, 'cause it's been a big part of our relationship.

Alex: Good for you. Thank you for that.

Alex: Brad Stylman is from Jersey City, New Jersey. Earlier this week, we had a clue about Burt Reynolds, who posed famously in the nude. And I understand you did the same thing, but it says here that you regarded it as tastefully nude. What does that mean?

Brad: So, the Environmental Club, we had a fundraiser where we sold calendars. Members posed tastefully nude, where everything was, say, strategically covered in a way that we could sell 'em to frankly anyone who wanted to buy one.

[Laughter]

Alex: Right.

Alex: Lindsey Shultz is our champion. You got to do a stage reading with a Tony-nominated actress. Who was the actress?

Lindsey: Kathleen Chalfant.

Alex: Oh, and what was the occasion?

Lindsey: When I was in med school, part of the way they were trying to expand the curriculum to train physicians is by exposing us to the humanities. So you go to the museums. They bring in people to do play readings, so we all got to do a play reading of the show Wit with her, which was phenomenal, and I got to be Patient #3.

Alex: Oh, all right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lindsey found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Lindsey had $4,400, Brad had $3,000, and Bianca was at $5,400. Lindsey wagered $1,100.

3-LETTER SCIENCE $800: The Latin word for this element is stannum

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHANGE MY MIND $400: You're going to have to do this 3-word phrase that involves rotating my ulna

ON THE PGA TOUR $1000: Check out the $10 million putt that won the 2016 FedEx Cup bonus for this man, also known as Wee Mac
(Alex: And like most of America, I'm going to be watching the championship this weekend.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lindsey: $7,700
Bianca: $5,600
Brad: $3,600
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE NEW YORK TIMES 100 NOTABLE BOOKS OF 2018 (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IT'S CHINA, JAKE (5/5)
POP CULTURE DOUBLE TALK (3/5)
ERAS & AGES (5/5)
"X" ENDS THE SPOT (3/5)
THE IRISH-AMERICAN HALL OF FAME (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Of course, because St. Patty's Day is coming up.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lindsey: 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Brad: 7 R, 1 W
Bianca: 4 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lindsey snagged the next Daily Double on the 25th clue. Lindsey had $18,900, Brad had $10,000, and Bianca was at $4,800. Lindsey wagered $4,000.

THE NEW YORK TIMES 100 NOTABLE BOOKS OF 2018 $2000: "Boom Town: The Fantastical Saga of" this Midwest capital city includes "Its Chaotic Founding" on April 22, 1889 & much more

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Bianca who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Lindsey had $22,900, Brad had $8,800, and Bianca was at $6,000. Bianca wagered $2,000.

THE IRISH-AMERICAN HALL OF FAME $2000: The 2011 inaugural class included Maureen O'Hara & this 4-time Pulitzer-winning 20th century playwright

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"X" ENDS THE SPOT $1600: It's the name of the gymnastic feat seen here

"X" ENDS THE SPOT $2000: To enthrall or to paralyze with terror
(Bianca: What is vex?)

POP CULTURE DOUBLE TALK $1200: This hit song in Spanish & English by DJ Snake features Ozuna, Cardi B & Selena Gomez

POP CULTURE DOUBLE TALK $2000: With music & lyrics by Burt Bacharach & Hal David, this Broadway show features the song "I'll Never Fall In Love Again"

THE NEW YORK TIMES 100 NOTABLE BOOKS OF 2018 $1200: Lawrence Osborne put this classic Raymond Chandler P.I. back to work in "Only to Sleep"
(Lindsey: Who is Sam Spade?)

THE IRISH-AMERICAN HALL OF FAME $1600: Last name of astronauts Eileen & Michael, back-to-back inductees in 2013 & 2014
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lindsey: $23,700 (lock game)
Brad: $8,800
Bianca: $8,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY NAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Lindsey: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,099 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Brad: Wager $7,201 to cover Bianca.
Bianca: Risk between $801 and $6,400, covering Brad's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1854 he became official musical instrument maker to Emperor Napoleon III; an instrument he invented is named for him

FINAL SCORES
Bianca: $8,000 - $7,995 = $5 (Who is Sousa?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Brad: $8,800 + $7,201 = $16,001 (Who is Sax?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lindsey: $23,700 - $3,700 = $20,000 (Who is calliope?) (2-day champion: $55,201)
(Alex: [To Brad] He invented the saxophone.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lindsey: $21,400, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Brad: $8,800, 15 R, 1 W
Bianca: $8,000, 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $38,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Lindsey: 24/60 = .400
Brad: 16/58 = .276
Bianca: 12/59 = .203
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SIGNIFICANT OTHERS $1000: After his famous partner's death, this man competed the second & third volumes of "Das Kapital"

CHANGE MY MIND $800: I can't be turned; I've undergone this psychological "cleaning", first attributed to Chinese Communists
(Lindsey: What is mind-washing?)
(Alex: Mind--)
(Lindsey: [*].)
(Alex: Thank you very much. You narrowed it down for me.)

BEWARE! $200: In this activity, as you go lower & stay longer, pressure can damage tissues & nitrogen can build up in the blood
(Lindsey: What is diving? [*]?)

ON THE PGA TOUR $200: Out on an island in 2001, a downhill 60-foot triple-break putt at TPC Sawgrass' famed 17th was better than most for this superstar

ON THE PGA TOUR $400: Here's Bubba Watson cutting loose with this type of 5-letter shot that veers to the side of the dominant hand of the player

ON THE PGA TOUR $600: The long chip at the 1978 Jackie Gleason Classic was one of 5 straight birdies to seal the win for this Golden Bear

ON THE PGA TOUR $800: Here's Phil Mickelson putting for birdie at the gorgeous par-5 18th to claim the 2012 Pro-Am title at this California beach

"X" ENDS THE SPOT $400: To bewilder
(Bianca: What is vex?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before the first Daily Double.]

POP CULTURE DOUBLE TALK $400: On "The Flintstones", he's Barney & Betty's super-strong kid

IT'S CHINA, JAKE $800: The ICC building in this former British colony was limited to 118 floors because it may not be taller than the mountains

THE IRISH-AMERICAN HALL OF FAME $1200: 2017 saw this comic legend earn his "stripes", & that's the fact, Jack!
(Brad: Who is Jim Davis?)

THE IRISH-AMERICAN HALL OF FAME $800: If you're an Irish-American teacher known the world over as "The Miracle Worker", you'd likely make the hall also
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
tin
twist my arm
Rory McIlroy
Oklahoma City
Eugene O'Neill
the crucifix
transfix
"Taki Taki"
Promises, Promises
Philip Marlowe
Collins
Adolphe Sax
(Friedrich) Engels
brainwashing
scuba diving (or deep-sea diving)
Tiger Woods
a slice
Jack Nicklaus
Pebble Beach
perplex
Bamm-Bamm
Hong Kong
Bill Murray
Annie Sullivan
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1854 he became official musical instrument maker to Emperor Napoleon III; an instrument he invented is named for him

Lindsey Shultz: 23700-3700=20000 (2x = $55,201)
Brad Stylman: 8800+7201=16001
Bianca Ligon: 8000-7995=5

Correct response:
Spoiler
Adolphe Sax (Lindsey – Calliope) (Bianca – Sousa)

Daily Doubles
Lindsey: 4400+1100
Lindsey: 18900+4000
Bianca: 6000+2000

Coryats
Lindsey: 21400
Brad: 8800
Bianca: 8000

Combined: 38,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Lindsey: 7700
Brad: 3600
Bianca: 5600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DD3 was clue 28 with 400 & 800 remaining.

Lindsey: 22900
Brad: 8800
Bianca: 6000

Bianca did the standard 6000+2000 :roll: It did not matter since Bianca did not know the FJ! clue.

A better point to revisit is the $1200 clue in Irish as Brad negged with Jim Davis. If he properly processes that Stripes is a movie and not striped Garfield the cat (I'm guessing that is his thinking?) then DD3 could have been his to play. Brad, if you are around here (or Reddit) then did you know the right playwright?

I will make a startling prediction that board member golf will have 5/5 in ON THE PGA TOUR. The players were stumped by the star in the 1000 box. Many of us here will collect that trash.

The clue with the reversal was "X" ENDS THE SPOT $400: To bewilder

Bianca negged with Vex (would not be the only time) and the other players let the rebound go. Alex wanted perplex and gave Bianca credit for correct at DD2.

The FJ! clue was one of my least confident solves as I wrote the correct first and last name and so doubted it that I marked an N for "No" at the top of my sheet before time was up. I was doubly wrong in thinking the instrument was 1700s and the guy was German. It's the FJ! round so I get a free play and in doing just that ended the week with a hit since I had no one better.

Over 60 clues Lindsey seems well above the typical contestant duos that are coming her way. That's nice though still at best only halfway to the TOC.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

I've never been more curious to see how a particular FJ clue polls. I think I'd only get it if you gave me a dozen guesses...
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

RobW wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 pm I've never been more curious to see how a particular FJ clue polls. I think I'd only get it if you gave me a dozen guesses...
After playing off Clue of the Day and deciding I had no answer, I looked at a list of musical instruments trying to figure this one out. Still couldn't get it. Never would have guessed that the saxophone is named for a person.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

RobW wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 pm I've never been more curious to see how a particular FJ clue polls. I think I'd only get it if you gave me a dozen guesses...
He was the subject of a LearnedLeague question a few years ago, and at the time I couldn't even come up with a guess for "musical instrument named for a person".* (I made a rare BWA attempt with "Brian Piccolo".) I guessed right today, though I wasn't certain, naturally assuming that someone named Adolphe was German.

-mmm

*Sousaphone is another.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

In 30 seconds, the only two people I could think of with instruments named after them were Sousa and Sax, and it wasn't Sousa. Wasn't 100% confident but I'll take it.

I'd defend Bianca by pointing out that if they had given her 'vex' the first time, she wouldn't have lost 2000 trying it a second time, but that damn DD wager...plus she missed FJ anyway.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Lindsey looks dialed in.. two great performances in a row. Excited for Monday's game.

Wasn't close with this Final.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Yeah, about a dozen guesses and 10 minutes. Best I could come up with was Sousa.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Early returns have 3/7 on this board and 4/10 counting the contestants. That's enough for me even with the low sample to take over 35% and under 45% for the weekly poll.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Hmm. This was an instaget for me. Pretty sure Sax was Belgian and not German or French.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I'd be happy to see Lindsey in the TOC.

It might be an interesting weekly poll question to have "I knew that Bianca needed to go all in on the last DD".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Sam Houston" is another for the "reverse Hawley-Smoot" list.

I couldn't figure out any activity that involved pressure and nitrogen.

PGA was an 0/5 for me.

NHO "information age". That category was also 0/5 for me.

I called the overturn on vex/perplex.

How was "Everest" right in China for $400? I thought Everest was in Nepal? A third 0/5 for me.

And yes, 0/5 in the Books category too.

European instrument maker with an eponymous instrument? Uhhh.... Adolphe Sax? Sure, why not.

Lach Trash: twist my arm
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Ugh, someone cue up the Herm Edwards video on that DD bet.

Tried to come up with a suitable French composer for FJ. Had nothing, not even a joke answer.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had a third correct response for the "bewilder" clue: flummox.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Had Adolphe Sax long before Alex finished reading... But then I'm sort of a band geek... (even though I don't play an instrument)

I definitely have a problem with the "slice" question in golf. The curving Bubba Watson shot they showed, hit on purpose and landing in the fairway, was a fade. A slice is a wild, accidental curveball that usually misses the fairway, often by a LOT. But they also said they wanted a five-letter response and "fade" has four letters. Therefore, the clue had no correct answer possible.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Rackme32 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:45 pm I definitely have a problem with the "slice" question in golf. The curving Bubba Watson shot they showed, hit on purpose and landing in the fairway, was a fade. A slice is a wild, accidental curveball that usually misses the fairway, often by a LOT. But they also said they wanted a five-letter response and "fade" has four letters. Therefore, the clue had no correct answer possible.
A slice can be wild and accidental, a shot that misses the fairway. But it can also be hit and controlled on demand, such as the need to slice the ball around a tree and onto the green. Typically, the term fade is used for a small curve to the right(for a right handed golfer) while the term slice is used for a bigger curve. Same with the terms draw and hook when moving the ball the other way.

Or we can put it another way using Bubba as an example. In the 2012 playoff at The Masters when Bubba curved his ball around the trees on #10, did he draw that shot or did he hook it? Everything you read says he hooked it, and having stood in that exact spot and studied the shot, I can assure you he hooked that wedge at least 40 yards left to right. So if you agree that he hooked that shot, you also have to agree you can hit a controlled slice on demand.

Bubba moves the ball way more than any player on tour, it's cool to watch in person. But most would definitely be classified as hooks and slices even though there's no precise distinction between the two pairs of terms.

But I'll admit I had never heard the nickname "Wee Mac" for Rory, even though it was obvious who the clue was referring to.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

FJ clue was a stinker. I know about the Saxophone, but the clue syntax led me to believe the inventor had invented the Napoleophone or something. I just guessed Steinway, thinking the period might be correct and maybe he'd invented a forgotten instrument. I answer this one correct, every time without the stupid Napoleon negbait.
Rackme32 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:45 pm
I definitely have a problem with the "slice" question in golf. The curving Bubba Watson shot they showed, hit on purpose and landing in the fairway, was a fade. A slice is a wild, accidental curveball that usually misses the fairway, often by a LOT.
I cued up Bubba's shot and it looks like at least 30 degrees of directional change, with early curvature and then a fade after the apex. That's an educated slice in my book. I think of fades and draws as launching straight and then working sideways on the descent. I think Golf gave a good perspective on this as well. It's mostly semantics - nobody ever agrees with me as to what is a pitch and what is a chip :(.
There was a trap in this clue beacuse a casual golfer might see that go left and say "Hook" if you don't realize it's the lefty Bubba hitting it. The five letter TOM immunized against the negbait, but still couldn't they have found a righty?

Lindsay showed some cojones to go $4K on a bottom box DD in the books category. She put her cushion at risk and was rewarded with the lock.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Oklahoma is Midwest now?

Not that I shouldn't have gotten the clue anyway, but that threw me off.

ETA, after a bit of googling: There are people who don't consider the Dakotas to be Midwest? For real?