FJs for the 3/11/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 3/11/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Before his death in 2018 at age 91, he received 4 Tony Awards, a Pulitzer Prize & was nominated for 4 Oscars
60%
Constructed in the 1930s, it extended from La Ferté to the Rhine River, though it also had sections along the Italian frontier
69%
A boy at the end of this 1952 novel says to the main character, "Say it ain't true, Roy"
64%
The last 2 letters of this city's name are the U.S. postal abbreviation for the state that it's the capital of
76%
In 1854 he became official musical instrument maker to Emperor Napoleon III; an instrument he invented is named for him
58%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
19%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
THE HERO $1600: ...born Edmond Dantes, of this 1840s novel
72%
EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP $400: Guitar picks and tote bags at Paisley Park feature this symbol that combines the male and female gender signs and was Prince's name for a period of time during a contract dispute
12%
INTERNATIONAL HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES $2000: This Christian sect in Egypt celebrates Christmas Day on January 7
78%
I missed the Monday FJ! clue guessing someone who did not die in 2018.
24%
I have read the 1952 novel, The Natural.
13%
I have seen the 1984 movie, The Natural.
49%
I solved the Thursday FJ! clue more by thinking of the right state and then matching the capital's ending letters to the postal abbreviation.
25%
I solved the Thursday FJ! clue more by thinking of the right capital and then matching its last two letters to the corresponding state.
39%
The Friday FJ! clue was a no-guess blank for me.
19%

Total votes: 106

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 3/11/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

3/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PLAYWRIGHTS

3/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Before his death in 2018 at age 91, he received 4 Tony Awards, a Pulitzer Prize & was nominated for 4 Oscars

3/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY HISTORY

3/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Constructed in the 1930s, it extended from La Ferté to the Rhine River, though it also had sections along the Italian frontier

3/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOVEL QUOTES

3/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A boy at the end of this 1952 novel says to the main character, "Say it ain't true, Roy"

3/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE CAPITALS EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI

3/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last 2 letters of this city's name are the U.S. postal abbreviation for the state that it's the capital of

3/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY NAMES

3/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1854 he became official musical instrument maker to Emperor Napoleon III; an instrument he invented is named for him

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Neil Simon
Maginot Line
The Natural
Albany
Adolphe Sax
The players were 8/15 (53.33%) with a 1-1-2-3-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have a triple stumper, a requested triple stumper and one the players had correct.

THE HERO $1600: ...born Edmond Dantes, of this 1840s novel

EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP $400: Guitar picks and tote bags at Paisley Park feature this symbol that combines the male and female gender signs and was Prince's name for a period of time during a contract dispute

INTERNATIONAL HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES $2000: This Christian sect in Egypt celebrates Christmas Day on January 7

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
The Count of Monte Cristo
the love symbol
Copts
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 3/11/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

autobahn
blank page since no other capital worked as I thought of states first then capitals
no guess on Prince symbol
Seen The Natural

The state capital brain games will come up again. Rules I need to remember as relevant to category and clue:
Check on big/important states like NY, FL, TX and CA
Think alphabet extremes to start with A or XYZ
Don't forget about Alaska & Hawaii
Don't miss by forgetting to consider your own state
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

I usually hate "meaningless orthographic coincidence" categories, but this one popped into my head in 5 seconds, so I won't complain. I suppose it helped that I'm in that state.
No, I didn't know that symbol had a name...I thought the point was it didn't have one... :oops:
I read some Malamud in school, not The Natural...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Thought of Sax just a few seconds too late costing me a five for five week.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

David Mamet (desperation guess); no guess Wednesday/Friday.

Have neither read nor seen The Natural.
Albany first.
Not only was Friday a no-guess, I still had no clue after some research trying to figure it out.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My guess on Monday died in 2016. But I consider it a better guess than anyone who hasn't died at all, even should he go on to die in the near future.

I did a report on The Natural for school, and I read it then (which doesn't go without saying, after all). I never saw the film, but I knew how it ended, and even that it featured an extremely rare walkoff home run by the visiting team.

I anticipated Thursday's clue, so I checked neither box. I believe that the first time I saw the question, I did start with my own home state. I know of but do not know the Animaniacs states song, which worked out well that previous time, when it was open to all fifty states.

I learned of Sax in fifth grade, when our spelling textbook included the weekly feature "learn a people word", where I also learned of Captain Boycott, Amelia Bloomer, and Sylvester Graham, among others. Only many years later would I learn the word "eponym".

Didn't see the Prince clue, but never knew what the symbol looked like, or what its original meaning was. I did know that "the artist formerly known as Prince" was an anagram of "no first-rate workmanship recently".*

* William Tunstall-Pedoe, 1996. It had more punch when it was fresh.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

I got to AlbaNY first and worked off that.

I'm putting "love symbol" at 15%.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I couldn't think of anyone other than Sam Shepard on Monday. On Thursday it was a fact I'd already noticed, and I even made a joke on Twitter once about pronouncing the city and abbreviation together as "alba-nigh-nigh."

I didn't understand that Sarah wasn't just saying "this symbol" to mean "the symbol seen here" on the Prince clue, and even if I had, I don't know it as anything other than "the Prince symbol."
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

:evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

never seen/read The Natural except for a few clips
capitals first, then postal abbreviations.

Couldn't get Albee out of my head Monday. That'll annoy me for a while.
Prince's symbol polling at sub-20% makes me feel a little better.

43453454455345554535444[3 3]54
Leander

Post by Leander »

Seen the movie, have not read The Natural

Thought of the state first, luckily NY was the second state I thought of.
blueoncemoon
Contributor

Post by blueoncemoon »

"even that it featured an extremely rare walkoff home run by the visiting team."

It's been a while since I saw the movie, but maybe the game was called due to darkness. Didn't the homerun knock out the lights?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

No guess on playwright, I thought I remembered an obscure name had died and knew I couldn't pull it.

Instaget the Maginot line.

Guessed Old yeller. Didn't know there was a book and haven't seen the flick.

Lucked into Albany on second hop after wrongly considering Portland as Maine's capital :lol:

I absolutely hate the Friday clue for making it sound like a Napoleonophone was invented. How or why do you bother with that as TOM and then make incorrect syntax?

he became official musical instrument maker to Emperor Napoleon III; an instrument he invented is named for him

Change the terminal pronoun to "himself", and I instaget it. Or just leave that shit out :roll:
I would have guessed at the Coptics, but stayed clam.
I thought the whole point of the Prince symbol was that he or his peeps invented it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(
A lucky WAG Monday kept it from being worse.
Absolute blank for Friday.
I would really like to know the writer's source for that clue... :?
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

blueoncemoon wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:40 pm "even that it featured an extremely rare walkoff home run by the visiting team."

It's been a while since I saw the movie, but maybe the game was called due to darkness. Didn't the homerun knock out the lights?
The clock (Wrigley didn't have lights in 1939, where the action is set. They also didn't have that clock, according to IMDB, till 1941. But I also learned from my brief research that the home team had the option of batting first if they chose until 1950, so I guess they're off the hook for that one).
I'm smart and I want respect.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

345353435433554555445132*3*43
*out of 4
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I'm not sold on "Love Symbol" as an alternate name. Seems that's how Prince trademarked it with the USPTO and people use it as an alternative title for the album with that name, but not necessarily the symbol itself.

There's a 3.5" floppy in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame that's from Paisley Park with the symbol and instructions on how to install it on a computer and the attached letter only refers to it as his name.

Read The Natural + Seen The Natural < Got The Natural right. :lol:
Lefty wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:00 pm
blueoncemoon wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:40 pm "even that it featured an extremely rare walkoff home run by the visiting team."

The clock (Wrigley didn't have lights in 1939, where the action is set. They also didn't have that clock, according to IMDB, till 1941. But I also learned from my brief research that the home team had the option of batting first if they chose until 1950, so I guess they're off the hook for that one).
Also it blew out all the lights.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Would it help to make the subject less confusing if I were to tell you the second single off the Love Symbol album is "My Name Is Prince" and in interviews at the time of its release, he said the symbol was pronounced "Christopher"? No?

Haven't read or seen The Natural.

Coming first alphabetically, Albany came to mind immediately.
I would prefer not to.