Apparel/Appearance of Contestants

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jasper
Contributor

Apparel/Appearance of Contestants

Post by Jasper »

Are contestants offered any advice/guidance regarding what-to-wear/what-not-to-wear on camera? Examples: clashing colors or patterns, inappropriate dress, shirts or buttons with political messages, etc.

Jasper
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Apparel/Appearance of Contestants

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jasper wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:06 pm Are contestants offered any advice/guidance regarding what-to-wear/what-not-to-wear on camera? Examples: clashing colors or patterns, inappropriate dress, shirts or buttons with political messages, etc.

Jasper
Over the years I have shared various portions from the contestant information packet. This is one with the apparel section as of summer aught five. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2523&p=148202#p148202
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

still waiting for a contestant to wear a cannibal corpse shirt
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

At least once a week, there’s a contestant who makes me stop and think, well that was an interesting choice, and then I wonder how the show people let them wear what they did. Some things just don’t work- the blinding white shirt, the dizzying pattern, etc. Forget about stylistic choices that I might not like- some things just don’t look good on television

After I appeared on Millionaire last year, I got a lot of unsolicited feedback on what I wore... from people who know me! Luckily, no one watches Millionaire, or at least the ones who do don’t tweet about it

Millionaire was very specific about wearing no shade of blue, because players who wear blue end up getting lost in the set. So that eliminated 90% of my wardrobe options
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The biggest thing for me was that certain patterns, especially very fine patterns with close lines, can cause the cameras into a moire effect, essentially making it look like the shirt or tie or whatever is pulsating.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:41 pm Millionaire was very specific about wearing no shade of blue, because players who wear blue end up getting lost in the set. So that eliminated 90% of my wardrobe options
Between no blue, how long it's been since I've worn suits, and weight gain, I had to run out and buy a suit real fast.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:41 pm Millionaire was very specific about wearing no shade of blue, because players who wear blue end up getting lost in the set. So that eliminated 90% of my wardrobe options
Nuts to you, then, millionaire!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:41 pm
Millionaire was very specific about wearing no shade of blue, because players who wear blue end up getting lost in the set. So that eliminated 90% of my wardrobe options
Yes, we were told "no blue, no black shirts, no white" which eliminated about 90% of my wardrobe choices. Both Stan and I ended up wearing purple for no good reason except scarcity of alternative choices (he, at least, had a green shirt in reserve)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

One thing I recall was "no tennis shoes/sneakers" although now that contestants stay behinds their lecterns I bet that rule has been removed.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:28 pm One thing I recall was "no tennis shoes/sneakers" although now that contestants stay behinds their lecterns I bet that rule has been removed.
That makes sense, though sometimes the camera catches a glimpse of the players from the side and you can see their feet
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

"No blue" must have been a newly added rule this past year because I wore blue for S15. Not that I was able to wear my option 2 or 3 outfits, but 2/3 were some shade of blue.

The rules I recall were no patterns, no white, and no logos.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

kerryoakie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:22 am
"No blue" must have been a newly added rule this past year because I wore blue for S15. Not that I was able to wear my option 2 or 3 outfits, but 2/3 were some shade of blue.

Yup, this is what they told us:
Spoiler
7. Wardrobe
A producer from the show will contact you to discuss what you and your companion will wear on the show. You will need to bring three (3) different wardrobe options with you to the studio. Please follow these guidelines while selecting your wardrobe:

1.Generally shorts, t-shirts and hats are not permitted.

2.Clothing cannot have
- name brands/logos
- small patterns
- narrow vertical stripes

3.Turtlenecks are allowed only with a jacket or sweater over them.

4.Please do not wear solid white or solid black shirts or jackets.

5. DO NOT WEAR BLUE. No version of blue will be permitted.
Please email digital pictures of you wearing your wardrobe options (front, back
and full body) to your producer.
I noticed a guy on Jeopardy! recently with the initials CK on his sweater. The logo was subtle, but I was surprised they didn't have him wear something else

Millionaire's turtleneck rule is an odd one. Sam Corbett looked natty in his blue turtleneck on J! last week
Jasper
Contributor

Post by Jasper »

OP here.

Each of the the contestants during the College Championship wears a hooded shirt or such with his/her school's name. The contestants during the Teen Tournament are all smartly dressed (jacket and tie/dress or blouse). In both cases, I'm sure that this is required of them.

During regular Jeopardy! competition, would a contestant be permitted to wear garb with the Izod Lacoste logo (alligator), the Nike logo (Swoosh), or anything else along similar lines? (Not as obvious as the CK initials associated with Calvin Klein apparel.)

Jasper
billiej

Post by billiej »

kerryoakie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:22 am

I agree, it must be new. I wore blue on my day 2 appearance. We were told the same thing you recall, only add "no black".