Previous J! contestants: Did you track money in real time?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Previous J! contestants: Did you track money in real time?

Post by heppm01 »

I'm curious if it is realistic to keep an accurate handle on your winnings during play. From the fourth podium, it seems that the show is fast paced enough that I would just have a general sense of "I'm in it", "I'm way behind", or "I'm way ahead", and would only be able to come to a more accurate assessment when there is a pause in play (DD, interview, etc).

For those of you who have appeared on Jeopardy!: How closely did you keep track of the scores as you were playing?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Previous J! contestants: Did you track money in real time?

Post by This Is Kirk! »

heppm01 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:09 am I'm curious if it is realistic to keep an accurate handle on your winnings during play. From the fourth podium, it seems that the show is fast paced enough that I would just have a general sense of "I'm in it", "I'm way behind", or "I'm way ahead", and would only be able to come to a more accurate assessment when there is a pause in play (DD, interview, etc).

For those of you who have appeared on Jeopardy!: How closely did you keep track of the scores as you were playing?
There's a readout board showing the current scores that you can't see on TV, so the contestants always know exactly where they stand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If you watch the contestants carefully, you will occasionally see them glancing up and to their left, especially when they're making a DD wager.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

A great way to psych yourself out and lose is to keep looking at the toteboard every clue
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:00 pm A great way to psych yourself out and lose is to keep looking at the toteboard every clue
Yes. I'd rather try to get in a rhythm without regard to my relative position. It's not like I would try harder if I was way behind (which would probably be self-defeating). If one was far ahead I can see some merit in taking the foot off the gas though. Just curious how those who have been there have approached this.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Playing at home (not against the show, but playing the 2003 PC game produced by Infogrames) I find that I don't look at the scoreboard with any regularity until it's time to make a wager.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I looked at the scoreboard only during pauses in the game -- daily doubles and commercials. Probably should have paid more attention toward the end of the DJ round; in one of my games I might have rung in on a low-confidence clue if the answer would have put me ahead and a miss wouldn't have affected the wagering-from-behind strategy. But for the most part I had only a vague and general impression of contestant standings from minute to minute.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

I admit I glanced up to the contestant-view scoreboard now and then in between natural pauses in the game, but didn't keep constant track. The general sense of which contestant had momentum in the game seemed just as reliable an indicator of where I stood at a given moment.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

I probably glanced up at it a few times also, but mostly when the Daily Doubles were in play. When you're up there onstage, time moves so fast, it's not possible to focus on the scoreboard. You're so fixated on the Game Board, that's really all you see. I barely even remember looking at Alex the whole time.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Simply put -- hell no, other than at the natural breaks in play. There was too much going on with focusing on the board during game play to worry about the scores at the same time.

(Someone cue Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler" here, please!)