Friday, March 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7955, 2019-03-22

CONTESTANTS
Dave Scatena, a chemical engineer from San Francisco, California
Jeff Trojan, a marketing executive from Marina del Rey, California
Jonathan Lindeen, a senior finance manager from Denver, Colorado (whose 2-day cash winnings total $48,802)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. It's like Guys' Day Out, Guys' Night Out. Dave, Jeff, and Jonathan, welcome. Good luck. Let's go to work immediately. See if we can't get to all the clues today in these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BIBLICAL BADDIES (4/5)
THROWING VOCABULARY (4/5)
NOW YOU'RE COOKING (5/5)
THE GIRLS IN THE GROUP (5/5)
THE BELLS ARE RINGING (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FOR ME & MIGUEL (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dave: 9 R, 0 W
Jonathan: 11 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jeff: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jonathan: $3,000
Dave: $2,000
Jeff: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Whenever we have what sounds like a narrow category and a contestant goes there immediately, I kind of wonder. Dave Scatena, you went to the NOW YOU'RE COOKING category just like that. And the reason why?

Dave: Well, I grew up in the restaurant business. My dad has been running restaurants for at least 50 years now. And I started out as a busboy at age 14 under the table, started working for tips.

Alex: Uh-huh. And what kind of food primarily?

Dave: Italian.

Alex: Italian?

Dave: Scatena's a fine Italian last name.

Alex: Yes, indeed. And I bet the food is good too.

Alex: Jeff Trojan is a marketing executive from Marina del Rey, and I understand that your company made a toy that has traveled in space. Correct?

Jeff: Yes, it has. A few years ago, NASA's been testing the Orion capsules, which will be their next capsules to take the next astronauts, whether we're going to the Moon, Mars, or the next asteroids. They've been testing it, going around the Earth a couple times, testing landing and things like that. And since they're not flying astronauts yet, they've had to load ballast. And they reached out to a lot of people, a lot of celebrities, and loaded in many things. One I read was they got a Star Trek figure, Captain Kirk, from William Shatner. So I reached out to Bill's people and said, "Now, was that one of the ones we made?" And they did confirm that it was, so proud nerd moment.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Jonathan Lindeen from Denver, Colorado is our champion. Used to play a lot of Frisbee in addition to climbing mountains.

Jonathan: I did.

Alex: And did you do it competitively?

Jonathan: Absolutely, yeah. My alma mater, Carleton College, is absolutely crazy for ultimate Frisbee. We have two men's and two women's teams, competing in two different divisions, and all four have won national championships.

Alex: National championships?

Jonathan: Correct.

Alex: Well, congratulations on that.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jonathan found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Jonathan had $4,200, Jeff had $4,000, and Dave was at $4,800. Jonathan wagered $1,000.

THE BELLS ARE RINGING $800: Macbeth rhymes, "The bell invites me. Hear it not, Duncan, for it is a" this "that summons thee to heaven, or to hell"
(Alex: Jonathan?)
(Jonathan: No.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BIBLICAL BADDIES $1000: The Phoenician princess Jezebel married this king of Israel & became his partner in crime & blasphemy

THE BELLS ARE RINGING $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows three different bells on the monitor.) Depending on size and composition, bells may tinkle, chime, or make this sound, from the Latin for "to summon"
(Jonathan: What is toll?)
(Jeff: What is knell?)
(Alex: What is [*]? From appeal.)

THROWING VOCABULARY $1000: The Highland one is a dance

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dave: $4,800
Jonathan: $4,200
Jeff: $4,000
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PLEASE BEAR WITH THESE MOVIES (5/5)
U.S. ISLANDS (5/5)
STUFF ON STAMPS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHICH BODY PART? (4/5)
HISTORICAL FICTION (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BLANK "UM" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jeff: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 2 DDs)
Jonathan: 8 R, 2 W
Dave: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jeff snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Jonathan had $6,600, Jeff had $12,400, and Dave was at $8,000. Jeff wagered $4,000.

HISTORICAL FICTION $1600: A blind French girl & a young German soldier's paths collide during World War II in this recent Pulitzer Prize winner
(Alex: Jeff?)
(Jeff: I don't know.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jeff who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Jonathan had $7,800, Jeff had $12,800, and Dave was at $9,200. Jeff wagered $3,000.

STUFF ON STAMPS $1600: A set of stamps features posters designed by Depression-era artists for this New Deal agency
(Jeff: What is the TVA?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHICH BODY PART? $1600: Produces bile & stores energy from food
(Dave: What is the gallbladder?)
(Jeff: What is the pancreas?)

STUFF ON STAMPS $1200: A 2-cent stamp shows this eponymous fruit actually thought to be a lemon-mandarin hybrid
(Dave: What is a... a...?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jonathan: $9,800
Jeff: $9,800
Dave: $9,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Tortoise and the hares.
Jonathan: You can't let Tortoise Dave or Hare Jeff catch up to you. Bet $9,800.
Jeff: Don't get caught napping. Wager all $9,800.
Dave: Slow and steady wins the race. Risk $601.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This day created in the U.S. in 1872 is observed in Florida & Louisiana in January, but Maine & Alaska hold it in May

FINAL SCORES
Dave: $9,200 - $4,600 = $4,600 (What is statehood day?) (New champion: $4,600)
Jeff: $9,800 - $9,800 = $0 (What is Earth Day) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jonathan: $9,800 - $9,800 = $0 (What is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [To Jonathan] It varies because of the growing season. We're talking about [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jeff: $16,800, 18 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Jonathan: $10,800, 19 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Dave: $9,200, 15 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $36,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Jonathan: 19/59 = .322
Jeff: 18/60 = .300
Dave: 15/58 = .259
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NOW YOU'RE COOKING $600: Type of fish dish made by a Cajun method incorporating high heat, resulting in a charred crust

FOR ME & MIGUEL $400: He created the characters Sancho Panza & Aldonza, also called Dulcinea
(Alex: Don Quixote characters.)

THE GIRLS IN THE GROUP $1000: Keren Woodward, Sara Dallin & Siobhan Fahey, who were really saying something in the 1980s & still in the 20-teens

U.S. ISLANDS $1200: The Grand Hotel on this Michigan island began welcoming vacationers in 1887

U.S. ISLANDS $2000: From 1817 to 1821 Jean Lafitte ran his main smuggling operation from this island off the coast of Texas
(Jonathan: What is South Padre Island?)

STUFF ON STAMPS $800: A 2017 stamp of a total one of these was made with special ink that reveals the underlying moon when touched
(Jonathan: What is a lunar eclipse?)

BLANK "UM" $400: It's no child left behind when this marsupial mom is on the move

BLANK "UM" $1200: Seen here is one of these easy-to-make, glass-enclosed miniature gardens

STUFF ON STAMPS $2000: A firefly is part of the series that celebrates this, the ability of a living creature to produce light

CORRECT RESPONSES
the knell
Ahab
peal
fling
All the Light We Cannot See
the WPA, or the Works Progress Administration
the liver
a Meyer lemon
Arbor Day
blackened
Cervantes
Bananarama
Mackinac
Galveston
a solar eclipse
opossum
a terrarium
bioluminescence
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This day created in the U.S. in 1872 is observed in Florida & Louisiana in January, but Maine & Alaska hold it in May

Jonathan Lindeen: 9800-9800=0
Jeff Trojan: 9800-9800=0
Dave Scatena: 9200-4600=4600 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Arbor Day (Jonathan – What is ?) (Jeff – Earth Day) (Dave – Statehood day)

Daily Doubles
Jonathan: 4200-1000
Jeff: 12400-4000
Jeff: 12800-3000

Coryats
Jonathan: 10800
Jeff: 16800
Dave: 9200

Combined: 36,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jonathan: 4200
Jeff: 4000
Dave: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Comments coming later.

So many stations messing with J! viewers due to hoops. Milwaukee took a different route and aired J! at 9 their time this morning so 7 for me. Nice.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tiebreaker clue to end the week? Not to be.

The players were 0/6 on the four big clues while playing pretty good on the rest of them.

Jeff seemed to go for a playful J! moment with his response for the Jim Cummings clue.

The FJ! clue had me quickly dismiss the correct response as my limited knowledge worked against me. I thought the day was only in April (that’s national) and had no idea it’s March in CA. Or other months in other states.

During think time I sorted through many holidays and observances and eliminated them as fast I could for being in other months or 20th century. Wanting to avoid a blank page I wrote Labor Day to have something from the 1800s.

The most recent J! clue for the correct response:
Spoiler

#7753, aired 2018-05-02 I REMEMBER APRIL $600: This green holiday was observed for the first time in Nebraska on April 10, 1872

And a FJ! clue from too far back to recall: #3279, aired 1998-12-03 HOLIDAYS: It's observed on March 7 in California, March 26 in Spain & April 22 in Nebraska
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:23 am The FJ! clue had me quickly dismiss the correct response as my limited knowledge worked against me. I thought the day was only in April (that’s national) and had no idea it’s March in CA. Or other months in other states.
I had no clue it was celebrated differently down here, but Arbor Day was the only one I could think of that made any sense.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

John the Baptist being beheaded and Jezebel/Ahab were utterly unfamiliar to me in the Bible category.

Souffle was my only miss in the food category.

After "toll" and "knell" were negged, I had no idea what it could possibly be. NHO "peal". That was a very negbaity clue.

My mom and I have both been to the hotel mentioned in Islands for $1,200.

"The Revenant" was my only miss/NHOI in Bear with These Movies.

I thought the "alliterative pair of actions" tied into two things done in the summer, not two things related to scent.

Somehow pulled "Lyceum" out of my brain to run "Um".

No guess on FJ! Couldn't think of any holidays that would tie in to the geographical differences. I can understand the TS here.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:05 pm John the Baptist being beheaded and Jezebel/Ahab were utterly unfamiliar to me in the Bible category.

Souffle was my only miss in the food category.

After "toll" and "knell" were negged, I had no idea what it could possibly be. NHO "peal". That was a very negbaity clue.

My mom and I have both been to the hotel mentioned in Islands for $1,200.

"The Revenant" was my only miss/NHOI in Bear with These Movies.

I thought the "alliterative pair of actions" tied into two things done in the summer, not two things related to scent.

Somehow pulled "Lyceum" out of my brain to run "Um".

No guess on FJ! Couldn't think of any holidays that would tie in to the geographical differences. I can understand the TS here.
i pre-called the revenant
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:23 am
The players were 0/6 on the four big clues while playing pretty good on the rest of them.
I thought both DJ-round DD's were unusually difficult, even at their dollar levels, for a regular-play game. I fell for the TVA distractor on the stamp one too. And while I would like to think I would study recent bestsellers and perhaps Pulitzer winners if I got The Call, the All the Light . . . DD expected you to know an outline of the plot. While one could perhaps surmise the given plot details based on the title, I think that's a lot to ask in DD time (as opposed to LL time).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
davey

Post by davey »

I liked those tough Daily Doubles...The WPA is the agency known for commissioning artists (and writers) not the TVA...And All the Light We Cannot See is not only a great title for a story about a blind girl but also a really good book - set to be a Netflix miniseries!
Can't say the same about that FJ, though...seasonal Arbor Day is news to me... :twisted:
davey

Post by davey »

Why is it that a stamp about a solar eclipse reveals "the underlying moon when touched"??
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:59 pm Why is it that a stamp about a solar eclipse reveals "the underlying moon when touched"??
How else would it work?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:11 pm
davey wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:59 pm Why is it that a stamp about a solar eclipse reveals "the underlying moon when touched"??
How else would it work?
It could show the underlying sun, no? Thanks to teapot for showing the stamp, but I'm not sure I see the point in illustrating an illuminated moon in conditions where it doesn't appear that way.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

How else would it work?
When it is a solar eclipse, it is the sun that is underlying, not the moon.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:32 pm
How else would it work?
It could show the underlying sun, no? Thanks to teapot for showing the stamp, but I'm not sure I see the point in illustrating an illuminated moon in conditions where it doesn't appear that way.
Duh. I was just looking at the stamp, and obviously not thinking.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

boson wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:33 pm
How else would it work?
When it is a solar eclipse, it is the sun that is underlying, not the moon.
If the moon weren't under the sun, it would be behind it.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Kind of disappointed that none of the groups I precalled showed up in ''The Girls In The Band'. No Go-Go's, B-52s or Bangles. Although I admit, I couldn't name a single one of the latter. But a clue with Kathy Valentine or Gina Schock would have made my day.

I had a hunch the Bells DD was going to be a replay of one of the earlier guessed clues. I would have incorrectly guessed 'Toll', not figuring on the rhyme with hell.
I had Bong instead of 'Peel'.

Dave cost himself some money with that 4600 wager. I would have just bet 606 to clear any irrational 2-5 dollar wagers from the tied players.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:23 am The most recent J! clue for the correct response:
Spoiler

#7753, aired 2018-05-02 I REMEMBER APRIL $600: This green holiday was observed for the first time in Nebraska on April 10, 1872

And a FJ! clue from too far back to recall: #3279, aired 1998-12-03 HOLIDAYS: It's observed on March 7 in California, March 26 in Spain & April 22 in Nebraska
It was precisely that FJ clue (remembered from Archive browsing, not viewing) that I credit with helping me get this (though I misremembered it as part of James Arey's run rather than Andrew Maly's). It's the only other time I've heard of different states having their Arbor Day in varying months.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

$7000 lost on two tough 1600 box DDs, with both misses followed up by Jonathan snatching up absolute jokes in the 2000 box (bioluminescense? I, Claudius!??! Are you serious, J! writers!?). And all they get out of it is a tie for the lead, which meant a tie at 0 after a TS FJ. Yikes. Dave cost himself $4000 with that wager, but at least he didn't bet it all and give us another triple zero.

FJ took nearly the entire 30 seconds, but after rejecting almost every other holiday as not making sense, focusing on the climates of those state during those months helped me back into Arbor Day at the last second. Hoo ray.