FJs for the 3/18/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 3/18/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:48 pm

These 2 films, recent back-to-back winners, both have 9 letter titles that end with the same 5 letters
62%
Because its overseas empire was dwindling, Spain declared war on this much closer country across the water on October 22, 1859
77%
Family name of Bonnie Prince Charlie's brother Henry, whom his supporters called Henry IX of England
53%
Alfred Hitchcock wrote, "It's because I liked" his "stories so much that I began to make suspense films"
95%
This day created in the U.S. in 1872 is observed in Florida & Louisiana in January, but Maine & Alaska hold it in May
51%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
19%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
INSIDE THE "OC" $200: This kind of door slides in & out of a wall
37%
U.S. CITIES $1000: P.T. Barnum was once the mayor of this most populous Connecticut city
35%
MYTH-POURRI $2000: Actaeon pays a "deer" price for spying on this twin sister of Apollo while she's bathing
58%
I had Moonlight though not Spotlight for the Monday FJ! clue.
11%
I had Spotlight though not Moonlight for the Monday FJ! clue.
No votes
I have seen the Best Picture winner Spotlight.
27%
I have seen the Best Picture winner Moonlight.
19%
Tudor was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
25%
Prior to the Friday FJ! clue I was not aware (or did not recall) that Arbor Day is celebrated in different months depending on the state.
82%

Total votes: 103

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 3/18/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

3/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS

3/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 films, recent back-to-back winners, both have 9 letter titles that end with the same 5 letters

3/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD

3/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Because its overseas empire was dwindling, Spain declared war on this much closer country across the water on October 22, 1859

3/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ROYAL HOUSES

3/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Family name of Bonnie Prince Charlie's brother Henry, whom his supporters called Henry IX of England

3/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN AUTHORS

3/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Alfred Hitchcock wrote, "It's because I liked" his "stories so much that I began to make suspense films"

3/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES

3/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This day created in the U.S. in 1872 is observed in Florida & Louisiana in January, but Maine & Alaska hold it in May

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Moonlight & Spotlight
Morocco
Stuart
Edgar Allan Poe
Arbor Day
The players were 6/14 (42.86%) with a 1-2-1-2-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested clue the players had correct, a triple stumper and another one the players had correct.

INSIDE THE "OC" $200: This kind of door slides in & out of a wall

U.S. CITIES $1000: P.T. Barnum was once the mayor of this most populous Connecticut city

MYTH-POURRI $2000: Actaeon pays a "deer" price for spying on this twin sister of Apollo while she's bathing

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
pocket door
Bridgeport
Artemis
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 3/18/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

I cheated myself on pocket door as the previous clue finished a category. In totaling my score for the completed category I did not get a full look at the next clue. The home owners I house sit for have some pocket doors, so I am familiar with the things.

Since the 1-block-away video store closed a few years ago I do not keep up with movies as well as I used to (of course I could do so with at home viewing options) and am 0/2 for having seen those Monday recent Best Picture winners.

The Archive shows it's completely my bad to not know Barnum/Bridgeport by now.

Labor Day to have something as with no "April" in the wording I was steered away from Arbor Day in not recalling/being aware of the different months in different states.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

I thought of both the correct FJ responses that I missed, but ended up not going with them. I had Morocco, but psyched myself out over what "across the water" meant and decided it was too close despite "much closer" in the clue; I rejected Stuart because I was thinking of the time they lost and regained the throne in the 17th century: "I know there was no actual Henry IX, so these must not be the same house!"

I didn't know/remember pocket doors, I was smart enough to clam on my Hartford instinct in the bottom row, and I accidentally went for the Roman equivalent Diana instead of Artemis (hey, naiad is Greek, and that's an anagram of Diana!).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Fri - Arbor Day was a 25th second get. Didn't know it was celebrated on different days

Seen both Spotlight and Moonlight. (Currently, only Best Picture I haven't seen is Green Book.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
7 of 8 last week, and 7 of 8 this week. Different color, though...This game's a heartbreaker... :roll: I had some close ones, from being seconds away from remembering Spot____ (I've seen both films) to veering away from Stuart and about to switch back...Thank goodness for an easy perennial...
Regional Arbor Day and pocket doors are both new concepts for me...I should have had Bridgeport since I've read a lot about Barnum... :oops:
Last edited by davey on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

La La Land Moonlight and ??? – I don't think I'd even heard of Spotlight before, which goes to show how out of touch with the Oscars I've become in the last ten or so years. Seen neither movie.
Had Algeria Tuesday.

Didn't know Arbor Day was celebrated on different days, but it makes sense to wait longer to plant trees way up north.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have seen Spotlight, but not Moonlight

Have a set of pocket doors in my house and live in Connecticut, which helped on those two questions. Even so, I needed Barnum to confirm the city.

Did not know Arbor Day was celebrated on different dates, but it was the only holiday I could think of that fit the rest of the clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

NHO either two films mentioned on Monday.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:54 pm :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

NHO either two films mentioned on Monday.
you must not be versed in academy award trivia
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:cry: :mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen: :cry:
:mrgreen: :( :(
Not a shot at the movie clue. NHO either one.

Morocco was a WAG, just didn't think England had a minor war with Spain that we didn't hear about.

Tudor and Windsor are all that's in my Royal database, and I'm not sure the latter is even a valid reply.

I don't know the difference between horror and suspense genres, but Poe seemed to fit.

I thought about Emancipitation day but why would Alaska set a date beyond the Jan 1 date of the Emancipitation Proclamation? The inclusion of Alaska in an 1872 holiday was confusing. (PSA - acquired 1867, statehood 1959 of course) Did not know the date for arbor day varied. I don't know why southern states would change the Nebraska date for Arbor day - they can plant year around.

I thought the pocket door poll request was lame. I stand corrected since it's polling in the mid 30's. Y'all must not have lived in houses that come on wheels. :lol:

Clammed on PT Barnum, but know Bridgeport as the home of ESPN (ETA - fake news alert, it is Bristol as noted by Econgator. Senility, I guess). Not a prayer on the mythology.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:30 pm but know Bridgeport as the home of ESPN.
You misspelled Bristol ...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:36 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:30 pm but know Bridgeport as the home of ESPN.
You misspelled Bristol ...
:oops: I wondered why nobody else had brought that up in the game thread full of NHO's :lol: ignorance is bliss except when it isn't. editing in progress.. tks.

ETA - for the non-mechanical boardies out there, Bridgeport was synonymous with machine tools during the mid-century industrial boom, particularly with vertical end mills. These were marvelous huge cast iron machines that resemble a drill press and you could buy a used beater and a lathe and start your own machine shop. The good old days of American iron (Cincinnati, Brown and Sharpe, South Bend - now everything comes from Taiwan, Japan, and of course China...). Just some nostalgia, probably never appear as a clue or in LL.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wednesday - No guess
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Need to get better on recent Oscar trivia; just because I dislike most of what passes for movies nowadays doesn’t mean TPTB will stop writing clues based on them :roll:
Love pocket doors, they’re very Arts & Crafts/ California Bungalow style!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock:
:( :x :mrgreen:
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

cthulhu wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:19 pm :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Need to get better on recent Oscar trivia; just because I dislike most of what passes for movies nowadays doesn’t mean TPTB will stop writing clues based on them :roll:
yeah the movies these days do pretty much suck, but i still stay pay attention to the movies that win oscars each year for trivia purposes...hell...i haven't seen a movie that won picture since titanic...though i have seen 7 others that were up for best picture since that time (traffic, the blind side, black swan, the social network, true grit, winter's bone, moneyball)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

cthulhu wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:19 pm

I disagree. Remember the epic fail that was the Talkin' Football category? Quite a while before the next football clue came up.
If TPTB could get it through their skulls that no one outside Hollywood gives a shit about Hollywood, the game would be better off.
I live for the day when an Oscars category is a stand-and-stare.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:45 pm
cthulhu wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:19 pm

I disagree. Remember the epic fail that was the Talkin' Football category? Quite a while before the next football clue came up.
If TPTB could get it through their skulls that no one outside Hollywood gives a shit about Hollywood, the game would be better off.
I live for the day when an Oscars category is a stand-and-stare.
more oscar clues, and less opera, billy shake, and british royalty clues
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seen Spotlight
Never seen Moonlight
Was not aware of Arbor Day being celebrated in different months in different states