April promo with spoilers (kind of minor, kind of major)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Who is the next big champ?

Poll ended at Thu May 23, 2019 6:12 pm

Man with dark jacket, white shirt, goatee and no glasses
7%
Woman with dark top, leaf necklace and glasses
11%
Woman waving
11%
Man with dark beard, mustache, shirt, tie & glasses
7%
Young woman with dark open sweater, dark top, no glasses and cheekbone smile
15%
Man with gun fingers
70%
Woman with light-colored top and glasses
11%
Woman with bluish top and closed-mouth smile
7%
Woman with print scarf
19%
Man with waving hand
4%
Man with dark sweater, white shirt, and dark hair
19%
Man with white shirt, blazer and clean-shaven
4%

Total votes: 27

Lampy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: April promo with spoilers (kind of minor, kind of major)

Post by Lampy »

It's definitely him, come on. He was trying to be anonymous.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

At least this thread has done a good job of identifying someone I should be rooting against.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Lampy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:52 pm It's definitely him, come on. He was trying to be anonymous.
Upon further investigation, I have reason to retract my comment.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The main "King James" page has been edited to be slightly more coy ("Will he win?"), but the "Honors" page still indicates a win and "1+ records".

The Internet Archive's crawl of the page is here.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:37 pm At least this thread has done a good job of identifying someone I should be rooting against.
indeed
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Out of curiosity, was Austin Rogers known around here before he appeared on Jeopardy?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:45 am Out of curiosity, was Austin Rogers known around here before he appeared on Jeopardy?
If you mean Austin Rogers the man himself posting? No. If you mean hints ahead of time before his run aired? Yes. See my response to you on page one of this thread with the video link. J! ran the promo for "Who will it be?" showing a montage of players letting viewers know a big champ was coming.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I meant like James is, since some people here have had experiences with him both online and in real life, and since some of us have also known him from The Chase.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:54 am I meant like James is, since some people here have had experiences with him both online and in real life, and since some of us have also known him from The Chase.
Austin was on Cash Cab a few years prior, but I do not believe anyone here or elsewhere on social media remembered/recognized him until his first game at the very least. I certainly do not recall seeing/hearing any major hints as has been the case this time.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

The Chase is a much different beast from Cash Cab as well, for what it's worth.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Whether or not Jamie was personally responsible for the website, it has been further scrubbed to now say that he has won "0+" games and set "0+" records. If the site was created by him or with his knowledge / authorization, I have a hard time comprehending how someone as smart as him would have put up (or allowed to be put up) a spoiler-laden website that blatantly flouted his NDA. OTOH, could he have been so naive as to think that if he just created the website but didn't publicize it before his run, no one would find it? The whole thing is mystifying to me, given that he apparently has a lot to lose if he violates the rules that all contestants agree to re: keeping mum between taping and airdate(s).

Like reddpen I know Jamie IRL, having also met him at TCONA several years ago. I doubt he was cast by J! to be a black hat, as he didn't come across in person as the polarizing type. (Nor did he on The Chase, from what I can tell by re-watching the portion of his episode that is still available online.) He was also friendly and supportive to me despite being way better than me at trivia. It remains to be seen whether his J! persona will be the type of contestant that viewers love to hate. Regardless, I'm very curious to see what kind of accomplishments he will achieve on J! in April. I do enjoy watching great trivia players play well on the show, which is one of the reasons I liked the team tourney more than I thought I would. In saying this, I'm not endorsing Jamie's conduct in connection with the website (to the extent he was behind it), or in reportedly making unfounded LL cheating allegations against people like Scott Blish (who of course had the colossal misfortune of facing Alex Jacob in his first J! episode).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:57 pm Whether or not Jamie was personally responsible for the website, it has been further scrubbed to now say that he has won "0+" games and set "0+" records. If the site was created by him or with his knowledge / authorization, I have a hard time comprehending how someone as smart as him would have put up (or allowed to be put up) a spoiler-laden website that blatantly flouted his NDA. OTOH, could he have been so naive as to think that if he just created the website but didn't publicize it before his run, no one would find it? The whole thing is mystifying to me, given that he apparently has a lot to lose if he violates the rules that all contestants agree to re: keeping mum between taping and airdate(s).
Aw, I love a shameless self-promoter!

But what does the guy have to lose? All the money he earned on the show? Invitations to special tournaments?

In any case, this gives me something to look forward to on my birthday next week!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:06 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:57 pm Whether or not Jamie was personally responsible for the website, it has been further scrubbed to now say that he has won "0+" games and set "0+" records. If the site was created by him or with his knowledge / authorization, I have a hard time comprehending how someone as smart as him would have put up (or allowed to be put up) a spoiler-laden website that blatantly flouted his NDA. OTOH, could he have been so naive as to think that if he just created the website but didn't publicize it before his run, no one would find it? The whole thing is mystifying to me, given that he apparently has a lot to lose if he violates the rules that all contestants agree to re: keeping mum between taping and airdate(s).

But what does the guy have to lose? All the money he earned on the show? Invitations to special tournaments?

In any case, this gives me something to look forward to on my birthday next week!
seems like it will be a good present for you to celebrate another year of geezerhood
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:09 pm seems like it will be a good present for you to celebrate another year of geezerhood
I was hoping we could Skype or FaceTime, bro. Time for me to see the man behind the mask!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:14 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:09 pm seems like it will be a good present for you to celebrate another year of geezerhood
I was hoping we could Skype or FaceTime, bro. Time for me to see the man behind the mask!
you referring to me? i don't do skype and have no idea wtf facetime is...i guess i am a bigger geezer than you
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:17 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:14 pm
you referring to me? i don't do skype and have no idea wtf facetime is...i guess i am a bigger geezer than you
Who is CasketRomance?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:06 pm

From the player contract section 7 as written in 2005:

I understand that any appearance that I may make on the program is strictly for the purpose of participating in the program as a contestant. Except as specifically provided herein or as otherwise authorized by Producer, I will not myself, or author others to, advertise or promote my appearance on the program or receive or generate any monetary advantage from my appearance on the program. Without limiting the foregoing in any way, I will not myself, or authorize others to, prepare or assist in the preparation of any written work, any audio work, and/or any visual work that depicts, concerns, or relate in any way to my appearance on the program.
I agree not to disclose winners, outcome or any content of any episode of the program prior to telecast. I recognize that a breach by me of this paragraph would cause Producer irreparable injury and damage that cannot be reasonably or adequately compensated by damages in an action at law and, therefore, I hereby expressly agree that Producer shall be entitled to injunctive and other equitable relief to prevent and/or cure any breach of threatened breach of this paragraph by me.

Without question that website as first discovered was a violation. King James may have received a phone call this week. No, it is not going to go so far as him sacrificing any of his winnings unless he (or people associated with him) cross the line further. Now, if James shows up live on TMZ to promote his appearance without J! authorization then he would be asking for consequences.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:32 pm

From the player contract section 7 as written in 2005:

I understand that any appearance that I may make on the program is strictly for the purpose of participating in the program as a contestant. Except as specifically provided herein or as otherwise authorized by Producer, I will not myself, or author others to, advertise or promote my appearance on the program or receive or generate any monetary advantage from my appearance on the program. Without limiting the foregoing in any way, I will not myself, or authorize others to, prepare or assist in the preparation of any written work, any audio work, and/or any visual work that depicts, concerns, or relate in any way to my appearance on the program.
I agree not to disclose winners, outcome or any content of any episode of the program prior to telecast. I recognize that a breach by me of this paragraph would cause Producer irreparable injury and damage that cannot be reasonably or adequately compensated by damages in an action at law and, therefore, I hereby expressly agree that Producer shall be entitled to injunctive and other equitable relief to prevent and/or cure any breach of threatened breach of this paragraph by me.
I certainly hope that language has been updated since 2005, because read literally it would prohibit contestants from "promoting" their appearances via posts on social media such as FB and Twitter - which are also written works that relate to their J! appearances. Since most contestants do "promote" their appearances in that manner, I can only assume the player contract has been clarified as to such matters, which weren't really an issue in 2005.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:32 pm From the player contract section 7 as written in 2005:

Without question that website as first discovered was a violation. King James may have received a phone call this week. No, it is not going to go so far as him sacrificing any of his winnings unless he (or people associated with him) cross the line further. Now, if James shows up live on TMZ to promote his appearance without J! authorization then he would be asking for consequences.
The 2015 version of that section was posted on Twitter yesterday evening and I can say that it has been updated.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Clearly they have shifted their thinking on how much you can promote your appearance on the show, but I would assume that the "I agree not to disclose winners, outcome or any content of any episode of the program prior to telecast" portion is likely still in place. Tell people you're going to be on all you want, but don't say if you win or lose. Only the show itself is allowed to spoil things. :D