April promo with spoilers (kind of minor, kind of major)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Who is the next big champ?

Poll ended at Thu May 23, 2019 6:12 pm

Man with dark jacket, white shirt, goatee and no glasses
7%
Woman with dark top, leaf necklace and glasses
11%
Woman waving
11%
Man with dark beard, mustache, shirt, tie & glasses
7%
Young woman with dark open sweater, dark top, no glasses and cheekbone smile
15%
Man with gun fingers
70%
Woman with light-colored top and glasses
11%
Woman with bluish top and closed-mouth smile
7%
Woman with print scarf
19%
Man with waving hand
4%
Man with dark sweater, white shirt, and dark hair
19%
Man with white shirt, blazer and clean-shaven
4%

Total votes: 27

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: April promo with spoilers (kind of minor, kind of major)

Post by hbomb1947 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:25 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:19 pm
hbomb1947 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:01 pm
Per the J! website, James Holzhauer will be one of the challengers this Thursday, April 4.
Whoa, that really blows the lid off this story!
From posts upthread, the lid appears to have been ejected last week. It's certainly useful information to know when "King James" will be appearing.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:39 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:25 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:19 pm
hbomb1947 wrote:
Per the J! website, James Holzhauer will be one of the challengers this Thursday, April 4.
Whoa, that really blows the lid off this story!
From posts upthread, the lid appears to have been ejected last week. It's certainly useful information to know when "King James" will be appearing.
Vintsanity posted last Monday on page 2 about finding this site: http://kingjamesholzhauer.com/ that had April 4 as the initial appearance. RKS shared this link for how the site looked before being changed: https://web.archive.org/web/20190325223 ... hauer.com/

Usually I don't look at the full slate of players for a week on Monday and instead go day by day. This week the temptation was too great not to look. From my initial rogues' gallery I only recognize James plus today's challengers. Including the 4/1 game that leaves 8 players seen in the montage not on last week or this week who may be JHLs

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:56 pm

Don't believe the hype! (wake me when it's over)

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:39 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
so on april 4 a shot will ring out in the culver city sky and a new villain will be born?

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:01 am

This community is traditionally so accepting, to the point where comments about players - even regarding their obviously poor in-game decisions - have been an excuse to ostracize offending posters in the past.

So it’s disappointing that this axis-altering moment in the show’s history is being greeted by posters openly deriding Holzhauer - when he’s not even appeared on the show yet!

Be a little generous. Give him a chance. And enjoy being witnesses to greatness.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:29 am

Austin Powers wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:01 am
This community is traditionally so accepting, to the point where comments about players - even regarding their obviously poor in-game decisions - have been an excuse to ostracize offending posters in the past.

So it’s disappointing that this axis-altering moment in the show’s history is being greeted by posters openly deriding Holzhauer - when he’s not even appeared on the show yet!

Be a little generous. Give him a chance. And enjoy being witnesses to greatness.

I for one can't wait to see what he accomplishes.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

boson
Trivial

Post by boson » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:45 am

Austin Powers wrote:

I just don't like being spoiled for the show. Before we even know who the guy is, we are told there are records, that it is "axis-altering", that he is "King James".

I realize that the shows have already been taped, but unless you have special access, they haven't been seen. Keep the congratulations and self-congratulations - whether from the show, the contestant or his fans - to yourselves until the shows air.

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:50 am

boson wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:45 am
I just don't like being spoiled for the show. Before we even know who the guy is, we are told there are records, that it is "axis-altering", that he is "King James".

I realize that the shows have already been taped, but unless you have special access, they haven't been seen. Keep the congratulations and self-congratulations - whether from the show, the contestant or his fans - to yourselves until the shows air.
For the record: The show has put out promos for its affiliates to air. It's rather difficult for us not to discuss them in light of that.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

boson
Trivial

Post by boson » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:02 am

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:50 am

For the record: The show has put out promos for its affiliates to air. It's rather difficult for us not to discuss them in light of that.
I am as annoyed with the show as I am with the creator(s) of the web page.

Look, I'm willing to be open minded about the guy, and appreciate good play and deep knowledge, but it all puts a sour taste in my mouth.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:11 am

Austin Powers wrote:

No one’s offended by him being great at trivia. Of all the hypothetical ways Austin Powers has imagined being an ass on Jeopardy!, imagine him going on the show and losing, then coming on here and saying the person who beat him must be a trivia cheater. Truly the epitome of class.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lampy

Post by Lampy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:11 am

He used jboard itself to impersonate an anonymous rando so he could accuse me of cheating at LearnedLeague (and say he wanted to smack me) because I missed some questions on TV. Why exactly am I supposed to be open minded? Because he's good at trivia? Yahoo.

Oh, he also said in the van back to the hotel I needed the money more than he did. What a prince. Let's cut him some slack.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:37 am

Lampy wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:11 am
He used jboard itself to impersonate an anonymous rando so he could accuse me of cheating at LearnedLeague (and say he wanted to smack me) because I missed some questions on TV. Why exactly am I supposed to be open minded? Because he's good at trivia? Yahoo.

Oh, he also said in the van back to the hotel I needed the money more than he did. What a prince. Let's cut him some slack.
You are in the pool or about to be in the pool? How about you get the call to play early in S36, qualify for the ToC, and then get to settle things head to head once again in an even better arena? Work for you? Works well for me.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:43 am

All irrelevant.

For the longest time, this board has operated under a code. It’s that you don’t engage in personal attacks against each other or against contestants. This policy is in place to encourage open discussion and to promote contestant engagement.

The attacks against James are directly contrary to that idea and policy. The fact that James may have violated such a policy years ago is not relevant. That retort is the kind of excuse a child would offer to defend his or her poor judgment.

(I’m sorry. That’s an unfair comment. The type of rumormongering about anonymous posts and hearsay seen here is actually much more along the lines of what I would expect from middle schoolers.)

Some of those attacking James have a similar aspirations to do well on the show, even if statistically such success is extremely unlikely. And some of that group has made their own enemies within the trivia community. It would be prudent, then, that they show respect toward all contestants, so that similar respect can be given to them.

What’s also unusual and disturbing about this is that all of this occurred before the contestant has even appeared. This is clearly a case of people trying to settle personal grudges. These are not even comments about the contestant’s actual gameplay.

And it is clearly had an effect. Posters here have already verbalized feelings of dislike toward James, despite having never met him or seen him play. I would be very surprised at this point if James posted here during his reign. That’s a shame and that is a loss for this community.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:33 pm

Rumormongering? Do you care to refute anything that’s been said? Everyone can form their own opinions but I for one won’t shed any tears if we don’t get contributions to the board from this player. He showed who he was in his previous appearances on this board.

Not sure why you’re so personally offended by this. The guy who coined the term “Subaru” to apply to mediocre contestants now wants everyone to stop being mean? I’m sure if he’s reading this at all he’s salivating at the idea of pissing off all the haters by going on a long winning streak. Or maybe he’ll lose on Thursday and the “King James” website was a fakeout put up by one of his enemies to troll him.

Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Austin Powers wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:43 am
All irrelevant.

For the longest time, this board has operated under a code. It’s that you don’t engage in personal attacks against each other or against contestants. This policy is in place to encourage open discussion and to promote contestant engagement.
The creator of this board set up a poll whether we liked or hated a certain contestant, and you were first in line with the insults.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2938

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:43 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:33 pm
Rumormongering? Do you care to refute anything that’s been said? Everyone can form their own opinions but I for one won’t shed any tears if we don’t get contributions to the board from this player. He showed who he was in his previous appearances on this board.

Not sure why you’re so personally offended by this. The guy who coined the term “Subaru” to apply to mediocre contestants now wants everyone to stop being mean? I’m sure if he’s reading this at all he’s salivating at the idea of pissing off all the haters by going on a long winning streak. Or maybe he’ll lose on Thursday and the “King James” website was a fakeout put up by one of his enemies to troll him.
I'm not personally offended, but I am amused that so many are personally offended by James, including folks he never dealt with or may have insulted. There's a lot of dumb sniping in the trivia community lately, and I am finding it wading through it all to be tiresome.

Point being, if the guy who coined the term "Subaru" thinks you're being catty and petty, you probably really are being catty and petty.

Anyway, watch out! A Bugatti Divo hits the track on Thursday. Vroom vroom!

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:44 pm

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:38 pm
Austin Powers wrote:
All irrelevant.

The creator of this board set up a poll whether we liked or hated a certain contestant, and you were first in line with the insults.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2938
Yeah even though Jennifer took it in stride, I would say the existence of that poll, let alone who created it, is not a shining moment in the history of this board.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:47 pm

Austin Powers wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:43 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:33 pm

I'm not personally offended, but I am amused that so many are personally offended by James, including folks he never dealt with or may have insulted. There's a lot of dumb sniping in the trivia community lately, and I am finding it wading through it all to be tiresome.

Point being, if the guy who coined the term "Subaru" thinks you're being catty and petty, you probably really are being catty and petty.

Anyway, watch out! A Bugatti Divo hits the track on Thursday. Vroom vroom!
You insult a lot of people but you’re at least clever or funny about it. Have you ever seen humor from this Bugatti?

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:48 pm

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:
All irrelevant.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2938
I hope that wasn't taken to be insulting of her; it was actually meant to support her (and as my vote reflected, back in the day when you could see votes) during what was seen as a controversial appearance, IIRC.

Anyway, I'm going to ask everybody to just step back for a minute and try to calm down. We might as well see what happens and at that time address any issues POLITELY. I agree that it has become too heated too early.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:49 pm

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:
All irrelevant.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2938
This is one of my favorite things about the internet - someone who keeps a mental list of the wrongs other random people have done, so they can drop them in at the right moment. I personally find keep tracking of weird grudges to be way too exhausting. I think it gets back to what I said above - maybe I am just older now, but I'm finding the cattiness to be tiresome.

Which is to say, shrug. What I may or may not have done doesn't really justify anyone's current behavior, does it?

Astounding that I get to be the adult in the room.