April promo with spoilers (kind of minor, kind of major)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Who is the next big champ?

Poll ended at Thu May 23, 2019 6:12 pm

Man with dark jacket, white shirt, goatee and no glasses
7%
Woman with dark top, leaf necklace and glasses
11%
Woman waving
11%
Man with dark beard, mustache, shirt, tie & glasses
7%
Young woman with dark open sweater, dark top, no glasses and cheekbone smile
15%
Man with gun fingers
70%
Woman with light-colored top and glasses
11%
Woman with bluish top and closed-mouth smile
7%
Woman with print scarf
19%
Man with waving hand
4%
Man with dark sweater, white shirt, and dark hair
19%
Man with white shirt, blazer and clean-shaven
4%

Total votes: 27

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

April promo with spoilers (kind of minor, kind of major)

Post by MarkBarrett »

There is a promo spot shared on Reddit that aired in L.A. that says, "This April, the next great Jeopardy! champ is coming." The spot includes a very quick montage of (I found 12) contestants.

The players shown are here:
Spoiler
Going off nothing other than the photo, you have three votes to take a guess at the big winner. If you have inside information then please do not spoil and share. If you are like me with no knowledge of the champ hinted at then speculate away.
MarkBarrett

Re: April promo with spoilers (kind of minor, kind of major)

Post by MarkBarrett »

My top pick is dark sweater guy and my other votes went to shirt/tie/glasses guy and scarf lady. Waving guy is my last choice. My fourth choice would be closed-mouth smile woman. I suspect gun finger guy will not be a viewer favorite.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Love seeing these types of promos... the Austin Rogers "Who will it be?" one from August '17 was awesome. Excited to see what transpires this time.

I'll take gun fingers guy, for one primary reason... This is just an observation, but that guy looks quite a bit like James Holzhauer, a 500 Questions/The Chase alum. Appearing on the latter program, he split a record $175k pot and recorded the biggest beatdown in the Final Chase history. He would be a formidable J! contestant, if that were indeed him, but The Chase contestants have not always been automatic superchamps, either. His demeanor, judging by past appearances, is more smug than goofy. He would likely not be as polarizing as an Austin Rogers-type player.

Again though, this is nothing more than my random observation/conspiracy theory. I have no knowledge of recent tapings, and that might not even be him! Always remember that I am a dumb college kid with a lousy track record with predictions (eh-hem, my '18 and '19 brackets). I clearly know nothing. :lol:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Yay! I was hoping to see James Holzhauer on Jeopardy! one of these days. This is going to be exciting. :D
Douglas Squasoni
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Yeah I know James from The Chase too. I thought he was great on there. Looking forward to seeing him on J!, and would not be surprised if he was indeed the next big champ.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Again, I'll stress that this is just a similarity that I noticed. Certainly do not want to let on the impression that I know any information or whatnot (because I do not).
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yeah, Holzhauer killed it at TCONA when he went. He also qualified for the LL championship at least once and had a lifetime batting average in the mid .800s back when he was still in the league if I remember correctly.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:23 pm Yay! I was hoping to see James Holzhauer on Jeopardy! one of these days. This is going to be exciting. :D
who is he?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CasketRomance wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:50 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:23 pm Yay! I was hoping to see James Holzhauer on Jeopardy! one of these days. This is going to be exciting. :D
who is he?
oh some dude that was on other game shows...amazing how you people remember names of game show contestants
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CasketRomance wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:52 pm
who is he?
oh some dude that was on other game shows...amazing how you people remember names of game show contestants
looked him...i remember him on the chase....would never have remembered dude's name though
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

who is he?
Yeah, some of these guys here are amazing for the card catalog of contestant recall. It was not until reading the comments here that I remembered James. Oh, that guy! This is a sampling from The Chase:
Spoiler
I can see why the vote is skewing one way. Other shows or not he should be someone to watch on J!

Comments after The Chase on this board: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1502&p=133708#p133708

It's hard to be certain off one screen capture though I think that's him in the J! promo. The CCs may have received an order to release a kraken to chew up some some games prior to the ToC so as not to have it overpopulated with 5X and above too early?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:09 pm Love seeing these types of promos... the Austin Rogers "Who will it be?" one from August '17 was awesome. Excited to see what transpires this time.

I'll take gun fingers guy, for one primary reason... This is just an observation, but that guy looks quite a bit like James Holzhauer, a 500 Questions/The Chase alum. Appearing on the latter program, he split a record $175k pot and recorded the biggest beatdown in the Final Chase history. He would be a formidable J! contestant, if that were indeed him, but The Chase contestants have not always been automatic superchamps, either. His demeanor, judging by past appearances, is more smug than goofy. He would likely not be as polarizing as an Austin Rogers-type player.

Again though, this is nothing more than my random observation/conspiracy theory. I have no knowledge of recent tapings, and that might not even be him! Always remember that I am a dumb college kid with a lousy track record with predictions (eh-hem, my '18 and '19 brackets). I clearly know nothing. :lol:
if that is him and he does go on a run, good chance he won't be liked by the masses, as he comes off as pretty arrogant and douchey
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

CasketRomance wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:56 pm
who is he?
looked him...i remember him on the chase....would never have remembered dude's name though
The Chase doesn't give last names though.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

threearruda wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:37 pm Again, I'll stress that this is just a similarity that I noticed. Certainly do not want to let on the impression that I know any information or whatnot (because I do not).
I immediately thought it was him before seeing your post.

Anyone know who his teammates are or if they have any other game show history?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

JayK33 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:33 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:56 pm
who is he?
The Chase doesn't give last names though.
okay...wouldn't have remembered his first name ..hell..cant even remember the name of the chick who hosted it
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

JayK33 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:34 pm
threearruda wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:37 pm Again, I'll stress that this is just a similarity that I noticed. Certainly do not want to let on the impression that I know any information or whatnot (because I do not).
I immediately thought it was him before seeing your post.

Anyone know who his teammates are or if they have any other game show history?
Not sure about the girl but that Jeff guy was a total bum!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I picked 3 random people. Haven't a clue.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Out of curiosity, have there been ads like this before? Like teasing 10+ champs like Austin, Seth Wilson, Matt Jackson, or Julia Collins when she was first on?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JayK33 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:37 am Out of curiosity, have there been ads like this before? Like teasing 10+ champs like Austin, Seth Wilson, Matt Jackson, or Julia Collins when she was first on?
threearruda mentioned the AR one:
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Spoiler
This week's cast is up on the site. Of those screenshots Mark posted, I'm only recognizing the guy second from the bottom as a contestant this week. His name is Steven Grade and he'll be on Wednesday.