Monday, March 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7956, 2019-03-25

CONTESTANTS
Mara Taylor, a retired attorney from the Bronx, New York
Ryan Ermey, a journalist from Washington, D.C.
Dave Scatena, a chemical engineer from San Francisco, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $4,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Yeah, $4,600. Doesn't sound like a lot of money, I know, but a killer Final Jeopardy! on Friday last. All right. Ryan and Mara, welcome aboard, and good luck to all three of you. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round. We're looking for one Daily Double in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LET'S HEAD NORTH (3/5)
CRAYOLA COLORS (4/5)
IS IT SCIENCE? (2/5)
SAME FIRST & LAST LETTER (5/5)
WINE (4/5)
WOMEN IN SONG (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dave: 9 R, 0 W
Ryan: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Mara: 4 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dave: $2,000
Ryan: $2,000
Mara: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Mara Taylor is a retired attorney from the Bronx in New York. I have mentioned on this program on a number of occasions that I enjoy doing crossword puzzles, and I've gotten to be pretty good at them. But not as good as you, because you compete in crossword tournaments, right?

Mara: Well, I enjoy competing, and they actually let anybody compete. But I enjoy going, and it's the one moderated by Will Shortz from the New York Times crossword puzzle. It's wonderful experience.

Alex: Yeah, he sets the standard in terms of crossword puzzles.

Mara: For sure. He does.

Alex: Yes indeed.

Alex: Ryan Ermey from Washington, D.C., is a journalist who did an interview with somebody who recorded a whole slew of clues for us recently on the program--Gene Simmons. Tell me about that.

Ryan: Right, from KISS. Well, I write for a personal finance magazine. And he had written a book that we thought, you know, applied some of the lessons that we have in the magazine. So I got the chance to interview him.

Alex: He's a bright guy.

Ryan: I managed four questions in 45 minutes.

Alex: And he also enjoys talking.

Ryan: Yes, that's--

Alex: We've all discovered that. Both of us.

Alex: Dave Scatena from San Francisco. A chemical engineer who had an amazing trek with his wife in Africa.

Dave: In fact, she was actually my fiancée Ashley at the time, and it was an eight-day trek up the side of Kilimanjaro. So we slept in the same tent, didn't shower after hiking every day. And so once we got through that experience, we said, "Hey, maybe we can actually get along and get married."

Alex: That's a good test.

Dave: Right.

Alex: And you passed it.

Dave: Yeah.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ryan found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Dave had $4,800, Ryan had $5,200, and Mara had a deficit with -$600. Ryan wagered $3,200.

WOMEN IN SONG $1000: In 2018 the woman who was immortalized in this 1958 hit by schoolmate Buddy Holly passed away
(Ryan: Who is "Sherry"?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WINE $1000: A type of glass is named for this white wine-making French region near Germany whose name rhymes with "glass"

IS IT SCIENCE? $200: 2 things described as "not" this science: give the ball to Kevin Durant & to lose weight, burn more calories than you eat
(Ryan: What is an exact science?)

IS IT SCIENCE? $400: A 2016 web article for the magazine this -ology Today addressed the "Is it a science?" debate & said yes

CRAYOLA COLORS $400: Flower-named purples include lilac, orchid & this, the state flower of Illinois & Rhode Island
(Mara: What is lavender?)

LET'S HEAD NORTH $400: China is on the northern border of this 2-word peninsular nation, about 80% of which is covered by mountains

LET'S HEAD NORTH $800: Every year since the turn of the 20th century, this geog. feature "of balance" has moved 6" toward North America

IS IT SCIENCE? $600: Chemistry sure is; in fact, it's this 4-letter kind of science dealing with things that can be observed & measured
(Ryan: What is a data science?)
(Mara: What is real?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dave: $4,800
Ryan: $2,000
Mara: -$600
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BABY BOOMER SOONER (5/5)
NONFICTION (1/2)
SINGLE-CONSONANT WORDS (5/5)
1960s AMERICA (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THEY COME IN PAIRS (3/5)
-"GRAM"S (2/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dave: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Mara: 8 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Ryan: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ryan snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Dave had $14,400, Ryan had $4,400, and Mara was at $3,400. Ryan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,400.

1960s AMERICA $800: In 1964 D.C. residents were allowed to vote for president for the first time, going 85% for this man
(Ryan: Who's John F. Kennedy?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mara who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Dave had $14,000, Ryan had $400, and Mara was at $2,200. Mara wagered $2,100.

-"GRAM"S $1200: In 1959 Western Union began this service that included sweets with the message
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NONFICTION $800: Based on interviews with more than 50 survivors, Walter Lord's "A Night to Remember" details this tragedy

THEY COME IN PAIRS $800: 2 stars that are close together & orbit around a common center are called a double star or this other 6-letter type

THEY COME IN PAIRS $2000: In an Edward Lear poem, this pair "dined on mince, and slices of quince, which they ate with a runcible spoon"

-"GRAM"S $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows Koko on the monitor.) A few apes have shown some skill at language--the gorilla Koko used sign language to communicate, while Konzi the bonobo became a whiz with these graphic symbols that represent words
(Mara: What are pictograms?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dave: $14,000 (lock game)
Mara: $4,300
Ryan: $400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOREIGN TRANSPORTATION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Dave: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $5,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Mara: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,499 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Ryan: You've no hope of catching up... unless Mara does something stupid. So risk $399.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Operating for only one week a year, a train line to this city moves over half a million people a day

FINAL SCORES
Ryan: $400 - $0 = $400 (What is Peggy Sue & LBJ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Mara: $4,300 + $3,499 = $7,799 (What is Mecca?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Dave: $14,000 + $4,600 = $18,600 (What is Mecca?) (2-day champion: $23,200)
(Alex: [To Mara] The people on hajj.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dave: $14,000, 18 R, 1 W
Ryan: $8,000, 12 R, 5 W (including 2 DDs)
Mara: $3,400, 12 R (including 1 DD), 7 W
Combined Coryat: $25,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Dave: 19/58 = .328
Mara: 13/59 = .220
Ryan: 12/60 = .200
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CRAYOLA COLORS $1000: This green named for a trifoliate plant is perfect for St. Patrick's Day
(Mara: What is clover?)

IS IT SCIENCE? $800: National Geographic says this medieval effort to make gold is "usually dismissed as mystical pseudoscience"
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

IS IT SCIENCE? $1000: A 2005 court decision called intelligent design "a religious view, a mere re-labeling of" this -ism, not science
(Mara: What is theologism?)

SINGLE-CONSONANT WORDS $1600: 2 Freudian parts of the mind
(Dave: [*]--what are [*]?)

THEY COME IN PAIRS $1200: They're often found in the hands of a flamenco dancer

1960s AMERICA $1200: A Naval Academy graduate, he became the USA's first man in space with a 15-minute suborbital flight
(Ryan: Who is John Glenn?)
(Mara: Who is Neil Armstrong?)

1960s AMERICA $1600: A May 1963 "Children's Crusade" helped civil rights as cops' treatment of kids in this Ala. city shocked the nation
(Dave: What is Selma?)
(Mara: What is Montgomery?)

-"GRAM"S $1600: Sometimes called an arteriogram, this procedure uses X-rays & contrast dyes to image blocked arteries
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
"Peggy Sue"
Alsace
rocket science
psychology
violet
North Korea
the north pole
hard science
Lyndon Johnson
candygram
the sinking of the Titanic
a binary star
the owl and the pussycat
lexigrams
Mecca
shamrock
alchemy
creationism
the id and the ego
castanets
Alan Shepard
Birmingham
an angiogram
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOREIGN TRANSPORTATION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Operating for only one week a year, a train line to this city moves over half a million people a day

Dave Scatena: 14000+4600=18600 (2x = $23,200)
Ryan Ermey: 400-0=400
Mara Taylor: 4300+3499=7799

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mecca (Ryan – Peggy Sue & LBJ)

Daily Doubles
Ryan: 5200-3200
Ryan: 4400-4400
Mara: 2200+2100

Coryats
Dave: 14000
Ryan: 8000
Mara: 3400

Combined: 25,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dave: 4800
Ryan: 2000
Mara: minus 600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ryan got burned on both DDs with (not that it should matter for a J! player, though can) things before his time. He went for humor with his FJ! clue response in revisiting those misses.

Dave was able to get the lock while his opponents had numerous backwards steps.

The FJ! category had me thinking train although my thoughts were in the area of Orient Express or London/Paris subways. The FJ! clue had me immediately write the correct city though my pen never went down as I kept thinking. The biggest distractor was Vatican City in wondering about Holy Week visiting. Nope, 500,000 people is way to much for that one.

When time was up I figured I had it right although I could not be sure since I had no actual knowledge of trains there. Prior to today I had only pictured walking to get there. :oops:

Alex can shut up now about Dave's low day one total after the bigger hit today. Dave won on Friday and that is what matters for him. The winning total is secondary and does not always have to lead the narrative.

Hey Hammer: There's that runcible spoon again in the Lear clue stumper.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Were a lot of the clues poorly written today, or was it just me? Felt like the valuations were very off, and there seemed to be an awful lot of negging and double-negging.

Don't recognize the word "sommelier". That seemed tough for the top box. I thought "corked" was by far the easiest in that category.

Science for $200 was such a disjointed clue that I couldn't figure out what was being asked. That whole category seemed very trashy.

Ended up with a ton of 4/5s: couldn't suss out "violet" from all the other purple flowers, blanked on Peggy Sue and binary star, and completely missed North Pole.

I thought "adieu" was far easier than "beau".

Don't recognize the name "Ron Howard", but it could be an anti-Hawley-Smoot for me.

"These games", plural, caused me to clam on "Super Bowl" in the top box. I whiffed that category too.

I bit on the "pictograms" negbait. How was that a neg? Are those not pictograms?

Completely lost on this FJ! Had no idea what to even WAG, but it made sense after the fact.

Lach Trash: North Korea, The Owl and the Pussycat
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Only thing I could think of that would have 3.5M+ people moving to and from a city for only one week a year was the hajj -> Mecca, done. I'm assuming it's an extra line to handle the load, and that the clue isn't implying that no one needs to take a train to Mecca the other 51 weeks of the year.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

I didn't know you can take a train to Mecca....
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:30 pm Were a lot of the clues poorly written today, or was it just me?
Eh possibly, or maybe we were tired or something. I had a lot of bad misses too, especially in the opening round.

Lots of respect for Ryan. He certainly handled those misses (and Final) better than I would have.

Had Mecca almost immediately, knowing full well about the train system and that you can only go at certain times in the year. This is at least the second time that my freshman year religion class has helped me solve FJ . :D
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

That was tough to watch! I was rooting for the lady from the Bronx but those were two hamstrung challengers. Easy FJ. WECIB? Tons of LT but I don’t take notes.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:28 am When time was up I figured I had it right although I could not be sure since I had no actual knowledge of trains there. Prior to today I had only pictured walking to get there. :oops:
I wasn't sure of the train either but I saw an episode of Air Disasters recently and they mentioned that the airport in Jeddah has a terminal solely dedicated to people coming in for the hajj, so I figured why not a train too.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So why was "pictograms" ruled wrong anyway?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:28 am Ryan got burned on both DDs with (not that it should matter for a J! player, though can) things before his time. He went for humor with his FJ! clue response in revisiting those misses.

Dave was able to get the lock while his opponents had numerous backwards steps.

The FJ! category had me thinking train although my thoughts were in the area of Orient Express or London/Paris subways. The FJ! clue had me immediately write the correct city though my pen never went down as I kept thinking. The biggest distractor was Vatican City in wondering about Holy Week visiting. Nope, 500,000 people is way to much for that one.

When time was up I figured I had it right although I could not be sure since I had no actual knowledge of trains there. Prior to today I had only pictured walking to get there. :oops:

Alex can shut up now about Dave's low day one total after the bigger hit today. Dave won on Friday and that is what matters for him. The winning total is secondary and does not always have to lead the narrative.

Hey Hammer: There's that runcible spoon again in the Lear clue stumper.

both before my time and i got them right...i can see him missing the buddy holly song, but missing a president based clue going with kennedy when he was obviously gone before that year
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:56 pm So why was "pictograms" ruled wrong anyway?
I said pictogram,too.

Apparently the difference is that in a pictogram, the picture represents the message it is trying to convey, but in a lexigram, the picture doesn't necessarily bear a resemblance to what is to be conveyed. Nitpicky, but eh ...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

trebek made it out to seem like the owl and the pussycat is a well known thing....never heard of it
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:00 pm trebek made it out to seem like the owl and the pussycat is a well known thing....never heard of it
Only reason I knew it this time was because "runcible spoon" also came up in this game, and my Google-fu turned up only the poem and a brand of smartwatch, and not the real-life kitchen item that the clue was about.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I had to sweat it out that they were going to get through all the Women in Song clues before time ran out.
When clue 29 should have been a buzzer race to bag "Sharona" before the DD was revealed, it seemed like there was a delay before Ryan rang in.
It turned out to be a turning point for the worse when Ryan couldn't come up with a very gettable clue. Makes me wonder why he wagered more than 50% of his total. I also wonder whether Dave or Mara knew Sharona but got locked out on the buzzer, or if either of them would have gotten Peggy Sue.
MarkBarrett wrote:Ryan got burned on both DDs with (not that it should matter for a J! player, though can) things before his time. He went for humor with his FJ! clue response in revisiting those misses.
Hypothetical: If Ryan had gotten both DD correct with the same wagers, He would have $15,600 and a small lead going into FJ. Would he have written down the correct response in an entirely different scenario?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That was the most lackluster game we've had in a long time. All three of the contestants showed themselves to be lightweight when it came to some very easy clues. The champ got a runaway that he didn't really deserve. Don't they have a test for contestants designed to keep those other two contestants off the show?

You have to know your presidents cold to be on Jeopardy. That is like the most basic thing. Also have to know the Democratic and Republican nominees from all of the 20th century elections. I'm no fan of Buddy Holly and he's from way before my time too, but I got Peggy Sue right away.

I came up with Mecca for final. The only other possibility I was entertaining was Rio de Janeiro for Carnival, but it wouldn't make sense to me that they wouldn't use such a railroad the rest of the year.
Last edited by floridagator on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

1960s America was a cake walk except for the bottom clue. I don't recall ever hearing of the author.
I knew Alan Shepard on sight alone.

In the other category, I had the Titanic sinking as soon as I heard "50 survivors".
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Anyone else immediately think of a scene in Blazing Saddles when candygram came up? :lol:
I hope I get clues like My Sharona & Peggy Sue when I get on the show 8-)
Jerusalem was trying to distract me in FJ, but I had locked on Mecca & never looked back. :mrgreen:
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

DBear wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:05 pm Anyone else immediately think of a scene in Blazing Saddles when candygram came up? :lol:
I hope I get clues like My Sharona & Peggy Sue when I get on the show 8-)
Jerusalem was trying to distract me in FJ, but I had locked on Mecca & never looked back. :mrgreen:
Yes. Mongo like candy. :D