Tuesday, March 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:34 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:04 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:55 pm For the $1000 clue not played in BLUE MAN GROUP:

Moody Blues were J!6

The ones I could find that should be within the J! scope of regular play for $1000 clue:
Climax Blues Band
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
Shocking Blue
Blue Swede

Some not familiar to me: (so sue me if any are popular and well-known)
Blue Cheer
Blue Haze
The Blue Jays
Blue Magic
Blue October
Blues Image
Blues Magoos
Blue Stars
one notable omission....deep blue something....big hit with breakfast at tiffany's
I have to play your card with, I've never heard of those dudes or that song before. At first I thought you could not remember the rest of the band name and I got a laugh when I discovered the name is Deep Blue Something. :lol:

I have added a notch to the 34M+ views on YT (sorry, I mean YouTube) and for a rare time on such occasions of checking out a new song I made it to the end of the song. It's easy to hear why it became a hit though one-hit wonder for the group. Thank you.

I'm sure there are plenty of other Top 40 groups with blue in their name although when the color comes in the middle it's harder for me to find than having blue at the beginning.
yeah i only learned of the group name in the last few years doing various trivia games...knew the song as it was a big hit during my 1st semester in uni, but never knew the group name

no need for elaboration on the acronym of YT...i got it from context
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Since nobody's mentioned it yet - I googled this factoid about Alex's surprising (to me) pronunciation of Don Juan:
Spoiler
Most people mispronounce the name of Byron's hero. This seems like a good time to set the record straight. Usually you'll hear "Don Wan." It's actually pronounced "Don Jew-One."

I know: weird. But look at the words Byron rhymes with Juan.
Mine's Johnson, and my comrade's Juan
The other two are women, and the third
Is neither man nor woman.' The chief threw on
The party a slight glance, then said, 'I have heard
Your name before, the second is a new one:....

Never does Byron rhyme Juan was a "wan"-sounding word, like yawn, or dawn.
Use Alex's (technically correct) pronunciation at your own risk. I'll stick to sounding out Wednesday in 3 syllables and a hard "d" as my cry for help.

I couldn't pull any Chief Justices from the era. I tried to summon one from the bad decisions (Plessy vs. Ferguson - Melville Fuller as Chief Justice) but couldn't think of one. After the reveal, I recognize Chase was on a high value bill (Art Linkletter was on the $100K bill wasn't he?), but didn't know he was on SCOTUS. His first name looks familiar but I probably had it mentally rolodexed as Samuel. Who the hell names their baby Salmon?

The two games this week match the doldrums that is our local weather (no, not climate) this winter (Southwest Missouri). We've now gone 5 months without a daytime temp above 70 degrees - normally we have a dozen or so in the same time span which gives us some mental health breaks. One more week of this crappy malaise weather and I'm ready for that asteroid to strike or I'll volunteer to occupy Titan. Sorry to waste boardie space, but it's less of a crap post than some celeb baby instagram :lol:

Speaking of the asteroid, I agree with TPH. The best I can tell, the distinction in the clue is only because of the movie reference.

Looking forward to a 69 degree day tomorrow, and maybe a better J! game!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:53 pm Since nobody's mentioned it yet - I googled this factoid about Alex's surprising (to me) pronunciation of Don Juan:
Spoiler
Most people mispronounce the name of Byron's hero. This seems like a good time to set the record straight. Usually you'll hear "Don Wan." It's actually pronounced "Don Jew-One."

Use Alex's (technically correct) pronunciation at your own risk. I'll stick to sounding out Wednesday in 3 syllables and a hard "d" as my cry for help.

I couldn't pull any Chief Justices from the era. I tried to summon one from the bad decisions (Plessy vs. Ferguson - Melville Fuller as Chief Justice) but couldn't think of one. After the reveal, I recognize Chase was on a high value bill (Art Linkletter was on the $100K bill wasn't he?), but didn't know he was on SCOTUS. His first name looks familiar but I probably had it mentally rolodexed as Samuel. Who the hell names their baby Salmon?

The two games this week match the doldrums that is our local weather (no, not climate) this winter (Southwest Missouri). We've now gone 5 months without a daytime temp above 70 degrees - normally we have a dozen or so in the same time span which gives us some mental health breaks. One more week of this crappy malaise weather and I'm ready for that asteroid to strike or I'll volunteer to occupy Titan. Sorry to waste boardie space, but it's less of a crap post than some celeb baby instagram :lol:

Speaking of the asteroid, I agree with TPH. The best I can tell, the distinction in the clue is only because of the movie reference.

Looking forward to a 69 degree day tomorrow, and maybe a better J! game!
i am with you on that...only old school justice i can name was not during that era...john jay..and only know him because of the baseball player with the same
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:30 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:28 pm The DD in Nerdy was ENORMOUS negbait for meteor. I still don't see how "meteor" is wrong in that context.
I forget the exact wording, but I think it had something to do with avoiding the Earth. A meteor, by definition, at least enters the Earth's atmosphere.

I was surprised they didn't allow ballista, though, considering what they have allowed. Arbalests and ballistae are both types of crossbows that use a pulley/winch.
Arbalests are still hand held it looks like, so at least same family as crossbow. You'd have to go up at least one taxonomic level and back down for a ballista.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:45 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:28 pm The DD in Nerdy was ENORMOUS negbait for meteor. I still don't see how "meteor" is wrong in that context.
I forget the exact wording, but I think it had something to do with avoiding the Earth. A meteor, by definition, at least enters the Earth's atmosphere.
CalTech scientist Carrie Nugent explained how to track & predict the impact these would have if on a collision course with earth; the method used in the movie "Armageddon" is not very practical
"On a collision course with earth" would mean that it has to enter Earth's atmosphere at some point, no?
When it's floating through space, it's a meteoroid. When it's passing through the earth's atmosphere, it's a meteor. If it survives to the surface, it's a meteorite.
davey

Post by davey »

There is a Canterbury Ghost in England, so maybe that's why Emma guessed it - not that that makes it a good guess...
I tried to imagine Jay and Marshall with scales, and even considered that Taney could be an exotic species, and so sadly had to skip the fishy part when the response finally came, only managing to get down a good enough S. Chase.
I wonder why Sally didn't change his name...?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The Juan pronunciation reminds me of how the Utah place Juab is pronounced. It's not wob, it's Joo-ab.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:55 pm For the $1000 clue not played in BLUE MAN GROUP:

Moody Blues were J!6

The ones I could find that should be within the J! scope of regular play for $1000 clue:
Climax Blues Band
Shocking Blue
Blue Swede

Blue Cheer
Blue Haze
The Blue Jays
Blue Magic
Blue October
Blues Image
Blues Magoos
Blue Stars
John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers
Neil Young & The Bluenotes
The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 37,600
49 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Minnesota, Casper, asteroids (DD), retina

I know Salmon P. Chase isn't exactly a household name, but I was surprised to see it as a TS.

Another "Blue" band that has yet to be mentioned is Shocking Blue, the Dutch band most famous for 1969's "Venus."
Additionally, the clue mentioned that "the method used in the movie Armageddon is not very practical." That film is about the threat of an asteroid hitting Earth.
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:53 pm Since nobody's mentioned it yet - I googled this factoid about Alex's surprising (to me) pronunciation of Don Juan:
Spoiler

This was the subject of a FJ! a few seasons ago.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:42 am I know Salmon P. Chase isn't exactly a household name, but I was surprised to see it as a TS.
Same. Both my wife and I got it quickly and American History is far from her strong suit.

As others have mentioned, there haven't been that many Chief Justices plus Chase was in Lincoln's cabinet, which inherently makes him much more well-known that your typical 19th century cabinet member. And his name is Salmon...
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Insta-get FJ.

In "Blues", i was clueless.

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:28 pm Maya/Inca/Aztec is another thing I can never keep straight.

Attack of the 4/5s again: couldn't get counterattack, Legolas, Maytag = Iowa, or "bone of contention".

CANTERBURY for a city in Wyoming?! And then no one else goes for the rebound on Casper with the "ghost" TOM?!

Can't say I recognize "Moriarty".

The DD in Nerdy was ENORMOUS negbait for meteor. I still don't see how "meteor" is wrong in that context.

Fishy name? Salmon Chase it is, and Hawley-Smoot Rule for the win. I knew of him because of the $10,000 bill.

Lach Trash: Minnesota, Casper
you said the same thing about the empires like two weeks ago and I responded to you then.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R (Missed Legolas, Iowa, Petard, Loin, and Blues Traveler.)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Bachelor, Counterattack, Minnesota, Casper, (Asteroids), Retina, Regan, Bushido
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Moody Blues were J!6

Climax Blues Band
Shocking Blue
Blue Swede

Blue Cheer
Blue Haze
The Blue Jays
Blue Magic
Blue October
Blues Image
Blues Magoos
Blue Stars
Blue Mondays
Bad Boys Blue
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

davey wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:49 am There is a Canterbury Ghost in England, so maybe that's why Emma guessed it - not that that makes it a good guess...
I tried to imagine Jay and Marshall with scales, and even considered that Taney could be an exotic species, and so sadly had to skip the fishy part when the response finally came, only managing to get down a good enough S. Chase.
You both were probably thinking of the CANTERVILLE ghost. I would say that is more common than "Canterbury Ghost". It would have been wrong anyway.
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:10 pm
davey wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:49 am There is a Canterbury Ghost in England, so maybe that's why Emma guessed it - not that that makes it a good guess...
You both were probably thinking of the CANTERVILLE ghost. I would say that is more common than "Canterbury Ghost". It would have been wrong anyway.
I wasn't thinking of anything but where Emma came up with that response. At first, yes, it occurred to me that she was thinking of the Wilde short story, but then I found out the Canterbury Ghost is a thing.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Lefty wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:40 pm "No harm, no foul" I suppose but the FJ was rather tilted against those not accustomed to handling $10,000 bills.
OK, there's (at least) one other uber-nerd out there familiar with this factoid. :D

Several hundred years ago when I was a lad I remember seeing a listing of all the denominations of paper money issued by the U.S. Perhaps it is BECAUSE the name Salmon P. Chase is so awkward, fishy, and unusual that I remembered that his likeness is on the $10,000 bill. Even though it hasn't been printed in a long time, I just remembered that and have absolutely no freaking idea why I would or should or do, but there it is. Instaget FJ.

I know Emma won the game and all, but can anyone figure why her FJ wager was so small that she could have been caught by either of the opponents? Some times I really don't understand what goes through the minds of people as they choose a FJ wager amount. Sheesh.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

John Boy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:03 pm she could have been caught by either of the opponents?
for the record: her wager was large enough that it did cover Dave in third.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:03 pm
Lefty wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:40 pm "No harm, no foul" I suppose but the FJ was rather tilted against those not accustomed to handling $10,000 bills.
OK, there's (at least) one other uber-nerd out there familiar with this factoid. :D
Thats how I got it as well. Couldn't tell you anything else about him.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

It took me about then seconds to get his name. I could only think of Marshall & Taney for 19th century Chief Justices So then I went to fish & luckily salmon came early, right after trout! I did look at Chase’s Wikipedia page & he had 3 wives but it doesn’t go into detail. I knew he was on the big bill which hasn’t been printed since 1945. You’d think now it would go back into production due to inflation. Maybe put SBA on that one.

I was rooting for Dave but he just seemed slower today.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

At least Dave wrote down the name of a fish!

I'm a bit surprised that Salmon P. Chase is not better known here on the board. As a child, I looked him up because I had read that he was depicted on the now-defunct $10,000 bill. If I'm remembering correctly, that was the largest U.S. denomination ever in circulation. Of course, being a child, I never forgot him in large part because of his "awkward, fishy" name.

As Secretary of the Treasury under Lincoln, and later as Lincoln's nominee to replace Roger B. Taney as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, he was a relatively significant figure in Doris Kearns Goodwin's book Team of Rivals. However, I don't recall Chase being mentioned in the movie Lincoln, which was based on a portion of the book.