Thursday, March 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7959, 2019-03-28

CONTESTANTS
Kenji Shimizu, a biomedical engineer from Ann Arbor, Michigan
Sarah Von Oeyen, a librarian from Troy, Michigan
Steven Grade, a sports industry consultant from Atlanta, Georgia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $21,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Steven certainly made the grade yesterday on our program. Pardon the pun. But he had the game turned into a runaway. So Sarah and Kenji, you're gonna have to be at your best today. But good luck. Let's go to work and see how things work out. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MOVEABLE FEASTS? (5/5)
FILM DIRECTORS (5/5)
WE WOULD HAVE ALSO ACCEPTED... (4/4)
NAME THAT NOVELIST! (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE WESTERN U.S. (5/5)
PUT A "RING" ON IT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Steven: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Sarah: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Kenji: 8 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Steven: $5,400
Sarah: $800
Kenji: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kenji Shimizu is a biomedical engineer from Ann Arbor, Michigan. Now, Kenji, for a period of about 25 years, in addition to hosting Jeopardy!, I hosted the National Geographic Bee in Washington, D.C. You were in the bee.

[A photo is shown of Alex and a young Kenji.]

Alex: How old were you then?

Kenji: I was 11.

Alex: And how well did you do in that tournament?

Kenji: I got up to fifth place, which was pretty good, I'd say.

Alex: For an eleven-year-old, that was amazing. Congratulations.

Kenji: Thank you.

Alex: Sarah Von Oeyen, from Troy, Michigan, is a librarian who played clarinet in college with the world's only ice skating band.

Sarah: Yes, that's right. When I was in college, I was in marching band, but in addition to football, we would play at ice hockey games. And after the hockey game, we would all--the band would put on our ice skates and go out on the rink and do a show on the skates.

Alex: Wonderful. Okay.

Alex: Steven Grade is our champion. He is from Atlanta, Georgia. Spent four years swimming competitively for the University of Georgia.

Steven: That's right, Alex. I was a four-year letter winner at UGA. I started swimming competitively at age 6 and stuck with it for 16 years through college, and then a couple more with some friends just for fun after graduation.

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Steven had $5,400, Sarah had $1,800, and Kenji was at $400. Sarah wagered $1,000.

NAME THAT NOVELIST! $1000: "Tonight's lecture--a slide show about pagan symbolism hidden in the stones of Chartres Cathedral"
(Alex: The Da Vinci Code
.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Steven: $8,200
Sarah: $5,200
Kenji: $2,800
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, March 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THING 1 & THING 2 (5/5)
CELEBRITY SIBLINGS (5/5)
FICTIONAL MEMOIRS (3/5)
FOR THE BIRDS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LETTER PERFECT (5/5)
DIET LAND (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Steven: 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Kenji: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Sarah: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kenji snagged the next Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Steven had $18,200, Sarah had $9,200, and Kenji was at $9,200. Kenji wagered $5,000.

DIET LAND $1600: Traveling on foot, this reformer missed the Diet of Augsburg in 1518 but got a horse & wagon & made it to the one in Worms

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Steven who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Steven had $21,000, Sarah had $9,200, and Kenji was at $14,200. Steven wagered $4,000.

FOR THE BIRDS $1200: Sailors have long been superstitious about killing this bird, as reflected in a 1798 poem
(Alex: [Before Steven wagers] Less than a minute now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FICTIONAL MEMOIRS $1600: In the '70s, Clifford Irving fooled quite a few people with his fake memoir of this billionaire

FOR THE BIRDS $400: Birds are unique in having these, the obvious characteristic that distinguished them from all other modern animals
(Steven: What are wings?)

FICTIONAL MEMOIRS $2000: Ernest J. Gaines wrote the "Autobiography" of this "Miss", a 110-year-old former slave

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Steven: $27,000
Kenji: $17,800
Sarah: $9,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS PHRASE ORIGINS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals second plus third.
Steven: Wager $8,600. Risk any less and Kenji may overtake you if you both get it right; risk any more and Sarah may overtake you if you get it wrong.
Kenji: Wager all $17,800. If Steven bets correctly, then you'll tie for the win if you both get the correct response.
Sarah: Wager all $9,200, and you have a hope of snatching up a tie for first with Steven if you're the only one to provide the correct response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One theory says a phrase for euphoria comes from plate No. 9 in an 1896 meteorological "atlas" of these

FINAL SCORES
Sarah: $9,200 - $0 = $9,200 (What are the stars) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kenji: $17,800 + $9,201 = $27,001 (What are clouds?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Steven: $27,000 + $8,601 = $35,601 (What are clouds?) (2-day champion: $57,201)
(Alex: [To Kenji] Hence "being on cloud 9", a phrase for euphoria.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Steven: $24,200, 30 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Kenji: $14,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Sarah: $9,200, 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Combined Coryat: $47,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Steven: 31/59 = .525
Kenji: 16/59 = .271
Sarah: 11/59 = .186
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FILM DIRECTORS $400: Perhaps tired of his old office job, in 2018 he branched out as the director of "A Quiet Place"

FILM DIRECTORS $800: This actress/filmmaker got an Oscar nomination for her direction of the 2017 film "Lady Bird"

FILM DIRECTORS $1000: This alliterative Italian won Best Director for his work on "The Last Emperor"
(Kenji: Who is Fellini?)
[Applause for Steven running the category.]

NAME THAT NOVELIST! $400: "'There's not been a direwolf sighted south of the wall in two hundred years"
(Alex: Game of Thrones.)

THE WESTERN U.S. $200: 3.25 million cubic yards of concrete went into this dam in the western United States

PUT A "RING" ON IT $200: On a state postal abbreviation to get this act of taking out an apple's seeds
(Alex: CO for Colorado.)

PUT A "RING" ON IT $400: On a state postal abbreviation to get this act of taking off an apple's skin
(Alex: PA, Pennsylvania.)

PUT A "RING" ON IT $600: On a pole similar to a mast to get this word for practice boxing
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

PUT A "RING" ON IT $1000: On the end of a small bay to get this protective layer
(Alex: For cove.)

WE WOULD HAVE ALSO ACCEPTED... $600: Holy See is a perfectly fine response to use instead of this name for a small European country
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CELEBRITY SIBLINGS $1200: Last name of the acting sisters seen here

LETTER PERFECT $800: It comes before "22" in the name of a raptor produced by Lockheed Martin
(Alex: For fighter.)

LETTER PERFECT $1200: This letter in a timezone abbreviation refers to a royal observatory at the prime meridian
(Alex: For Greenwich.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Dan Brown
Martin Luther
an albatross
Howard Hughes
feathers
Miss Jane Pittman
clouds
(John) Krasinski
(Greta) Gerwig
(Bernardo) Bertolucci
(George R.R.) Martin
the Hoover Dam
coring
paring
sparring
covering
Vatican City
Fanning
F
G
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS PHRASE ORIGINS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One theory says a phrase for euphoria comes from Plate No. 9 in an 1896 meteorological “Atlas” of these

Steven Grade: 27000+8601=35601 (2x = $57,201)
Sarah von Oeyen: 9200-0=9200
Kenji Shimizu: 17800+9201=27001

Correct response:
Spoiler
Clouds (Sarah – stars)

Daily Doubles
Sarah: 1800+1000
Kenji: 9200+5000
Steven: 21000+4000

Coryats
Steven: 24200
Sarah: 9200
Kenji: 14400

Combined: 47,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Steven: 8200
Sarah: 5200
Kenji: 2800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Applause for Steven running FILM DIRECTORS even with one get being a rebound after a not-surprising neg for alliterative Italian director.

Easy trash in FICTIONAL MEMOIRS for those of us old enough to know about the Irving subject and "Miss" 110-year-old former slave.

The FJ! clue had me working too hard as I instantly wrote the full phrase before realizing the one key word was all that was needed. For think time I watched the players and it looked like Kenji was on it instantly while Steven looked like he was in trouble. Even after Steven started writing it was not like he had the aha moment of a solve. Alex did not give away that Kenji was beat and the tension was there as Alex went to Steven's response.

Day 3 tomorrow for Steven to see if he has a little more variety in his outfits than two darkish sweater types and two white shirts.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Sarah had a winnable game but didn't even try to with that FJ wager. Am sure she was just happy to be there.

Kenji on the other hand was in an interesting spot. Had to wager $601 to cover a double up from Sarah which also covers a min cover wager from the lead on a miss. Wagered $9201 to cover a zero bet from the lead. Typically if you have to wager anything in this spot in order to win you should wager everything. But in this spot I tend to think $601 offers the best winning chances in actual game play because a lot of leaders don't do the exact math when it comes to locking out. So if the leader just ballparks or round numbers a wager, $601 could easily win when both miss FJ.

This is also one of those situations where the wagering would be different pre tie-breaker. The wagering calculator does not reflect this.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

Golf wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:51 amThis is also one of those situations where the wagering would be different pre tie-breaker. The wagering calculator does not reflect this.
The main thing different is that Steven has a choice whether to risk a tie on both ends or bet to cover Kenji by a dollar which would also result in losing to Sarah by a dollar should she bet everything and be the only one right. Since there are two outcome scenarios that benefit by the add-a-dollar wager (RRx) vs. only one with playing for the tie (WWR) I think adding the dollar is the better option under the current rules.

(For those who didn't notice this is a "first equals second plus third" scenario where the leader's bet to tie a double-up from second will land at exactly twice third's score if wrong, hence the dilemma there.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

As soon as she said "only skating marching band" I knew Sarah was a fellow alum. I was rooting for her.

Steven was about two seconds away from being a 1xer.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:25 am Applause for Steven running FILM DIRECTORS even with one get being a rebound after a not-surprising neg for alliterative Italian director.
I ran it, too -- by not having the slightest clue on any of them (except I knew to keep clam on Fellini).

Instaget FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:58 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:25 am Applause for Steven running FILM DIRECTORS even with one get being a rebound after a not-surprising neg for alliterative Italian director.
I ran it, too -- by not having the slightest clue on any of them (except I knew to keep clam on Fellini).

Instaget FJ.
My run was ended early when I had the dreaded blank on Mrs. Tim Burton. I knew who it was and could picture her, but at 7:30 plus in the morning I may not be at my best. The other four were instants to justify my .769 on film in LL.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:39 pm As soon as she said "only skating marching band" I knew Sarah was a fellow alum. I was rooting for her.

Steven was about two seconds away from being a 1xer.
I also pinned Sarah's alma mater from that anecdote. I missed the third word in the above quotes on the original viewing; catching it would've likely driven me to the exceptionally rare step of rooting against her for the remainder of the episode, just as I was rooting against Tyler Benedict on February 8, 2012 (in which All-Star Monica Thieu prevailed).

There is ONLY ONE real marching band in the Ivy League... and it doesn't represent your and Sarah's fine institution. 8-)
davey

Post by davey »

I slightly misread the FJ and wrote the whole 3-word phrase...Anybody want to make a case that it isn't acceptable?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I got FJ from the "high as a cloud" phrase and not cloud 9.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

davey wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:44 pm I slightly misread the FJ and wrote the whole 3-word phrase...Anybody want to make a case that it isn't acceptable?
Thorsten would probably take it in LL, but I doubt your response would have fared well with the J! judges, since the clue was pinned to the name of the atlas. It wasn't an atlas of "On Cloud 9's."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

davey wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:44 pm I slightly misread the FJ and wrote the whole 3-word phrase...Anybody want to make a case that it isn't acceptable?
i did that as well but caught myself with like 1 second to spare after i read the clue again
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Missed another game. Sure will be glad when March Madness no longer preempts my favorite show :cry: .
davey

Post by davey »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:46 am
Thorsten would probably take it in LL, but I doubt your response would have fared well with the J! judges, since the clue was pinned to the name of the atlas. It wasn't an atlas of "On Cloud 9's."
You may be right. I'm going with the theory that I provided extra information. The clue wasn't asking for a fill-in-the-title response but the important element. If this puts my response under a cloud, so be it... :P
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Seems like this FJ should poll pretty high. Giving us both #9 and meteorological "Atlas" made it pretty easy.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (I don't remember all the clues I missed, but Miss Jane Pittman was one of them.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Howard Hughes, Feathers
Douglas Squasoni
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Diet for $2000 brought a smile to my face. I've been to Porvoo. Don't recall the Diet being mentioned.

ETA: "Ring" $600: "a pole similar to a mast". Grrrr. A mast is a spar. And so is a boom.
Last edited by OrangeSAM on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCSam
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 42,200
49 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Howard Hughes

I am shocked this FJ! wasn't a triple-get. I'm not sure how much more they could have spoon-fed it to us.

It's hard to get a feel for how the game is going when I'm playing along with the Archive, but a combined Coryat of $47,000+ is awfully impressive.

That fabric softener clue was oddly worded.
Sprinkles are for winners.