Tuesday, April 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman »

I got Presley right away. But I didn't notice that "monarchs" rather than "kings" meant the other was a queen. As a result it took about 35 seconds to come up with Franklin. :(
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

RobW wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:46 am
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:24 pm
Woppy T wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:30 pm I wonder if first names only would have been sufficient for FJ
elvis for sure...doubtful for franklin
I wondered this as well - and of course we'll never know - but I do think an answer of "Elvis and Aretha" would have been accepted. (I think of them as equally iconic musical first names)
On this particular clue, I can't see them accepting simply "Elvis" but not simply "Aretha". For one thing, there are more Elvises out there than Arethas.

I would be curious to see how they'd have dealt with "Elvis and Franklin" or "Presley and Aretha".
I'm smart and I want respect.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Fleeboy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:22 pm They weren't music legends, but the Sultan of Swat (Babe Ruth, in 1948) and Count Dracula (Bela Lugosi, in 1956) also passed away on Aug. 16.
robert johnson as well

but not music legends? not sure how you can honestly say they arent
De gustibus non est disputandum, and the Babe did once win top prize in a farting contest. Don't know about the Count, though. Might you be confusing him with Count Basie?
I'm smart and I want respect.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Lefty wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:22 pm
Woppy T wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:30 pm I wonder if first names only would have been sufficient for FJ
I wondered this as well - and of course we'll never know - but I do think an answer of "Elvis and Aretha" would have been accepted. (I think of them as equally iconic musical first names)
On this particular clue, I can't see them accepting simply "Elvis" but not simply "Aretha". For one thing, there are more Elvises out there than Arethas.

I would be curious to see how they'd have dealt with "Elvis and Franklin" or "Presley and Aretha".
The existence of Elvis Costello has to be accounted for when the topic is famous musicians. Still, I think Elvis is one of those very few names where the first alone would suffice (like Oprah).
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Joined Anika in going for Elvis Presley & B.B. King on FJ. :(
Trash pickup: Lindsay Wagner, Trouble, scotch, Germany, zero, miasma (DD) 6800 :mrgreen:
davey

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:34 pm
Lefty wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:22 pm

The existence of Elvis Costello has to be accounted for when the topic is famous musicians. Still, I think Elvis is one of those very few names where the first alone would suffice (like Oprah).
You can't call somebody a monarch and then refuse to accept her first name...no question Aretha is acceptable...

The restored Aretha Franklin concert film Amazing Grace (directed by Sydney Pollack) opens this weekend...I'm sure I would have gotten this anyway but reading about the movie made her uppermost on my mind...
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Lefty wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:30 pmDon't know about the Count, though. Might you be confusing him with Count Basie?
Surely you're familiar with Count Dracula's legendary guest vocals on "Monster Mash."
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Elvis is commonly known just by his first name though. If you say "Elvis" I doubt most people would think of Costello over Presley. As for Aretha, while there aren't many out there, especially in the music world, I don't know if she's popularly known as just "Aretha". I'd have put down her last name as well.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Upon hearing of Aretha's death that evening last August, I remembered that earlier in the day I'd heard a DJ on the radio talking about the anniversary of Elvis's death. I turned to my wife and said, "That means the Queen of Soul and the King of Rock and Roll died on the same date!"

We started throwing family Oscar parties in 1998, complete with menus inspired by the nominated films. The first item ever to appear on our Oscar menu was a cheese platter called "As Gouda as It Gets." Yeah, I know Dryden called puns the "lowest and most groveling kind of wit.” But my oldest child was only 7 at the time, and we've had fun with this approach every year since.
davey

Post by davey »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:10 pm Upon hearing of Aretha's death that evening last August, I remembered that earlier in the day I'd heard a DJ on the radio talking about the anniversary of Elvis's death. I turned to my wife and said, "That means the Queen of Soul and the King of Rock and Roll died on the same date!"

We started throwing family Oscar parties in 1998, complete with menus inspired by the nominated films. The first item ever to appear on our Oscar menu was a cheese platter called "As Gouda as It Gets." Yeah, I know Dryden called puns the "lowest and most groveling kind of wit.” But my oldest child was only 7 at the time, and we've had fun with this approach every year since.
Dryden hated movies, too... ;)
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

davey wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:28 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:10 pm Yeah, I know Dryden called puns the "lowest and most groveling kind of wit.”
Also Dryden is the guy who invented the entirely bogus "you shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition" idea.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Foretopman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:24 pm Also Dryden is the guy who invented the entirely bogus "you shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition" idea.
A tourist stops a student in Harvard Yard and asks, "Can you tell me where the library is at?"
Student replies, "This is Harvard. We don't end sentences with a preposition."
Tourist: "OK, can you tell me where the library is at, asshole?"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:19 pm
Foretopman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:24 pm Also Dryden is the guy who invented the entirely bogus "you shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition" idea.
A tourist stops a student in Harvard Yard and asks, "Can you tell me where the library is at?"
Nothing like a classic oldie. Yale & Princeton are also used for variations. If someone had posted and used Brown would that be a suspension?
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Foretopman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:24 pm
davey wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:28 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:10 pm Yeah, I know Dryden called puns the "lowest and most groveling kind of wit.”
Also Dryden is the guy who invented the entirely bogus "you shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition" idea.
Sounds like Dryden and I need to have a long heart-to-heart. As a book editor, I can't tell you how many hours I've wasted rewriting tortured sentences by authors desperately trying not to end a sentence with a preposition. And it's all because Dryden was applying Latin grammar rules to the English language.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 pm
Nothing like a classic oldie. Yale & Princeton are also used for variations. If someone had posted and used Brown would that be a suspension?
Go ahead, make my day.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:19 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 pm
Go ahead, make my day.
A TV show I watched tonight had a guy needing a job and his wife filled out the resume for him. It included lies of fluent in Spanish and attended Harvard. The interviewee could not keep up the deception for long and admitted, "I have no idea where Harvard's even at." :lol: