Sony Reportedly Searching For Alex's Replacement

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Sovereignty over diplomatic premises

Post by Mathew5000 »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:59 pm Is the base considered American soil, like an embassy would be?
For the record, American embassies abroad are not American soil. Despite the common misconception, the host country retains sovereignty over embassies and consulates. Diplomatic premises are, however, protected by the "rule of inviolability" against any incursion on the part of the host country. This is a principle of customary international law, codified by treaty.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Re: Sony Reportedly Searching For Alex's Replacement

Post by JayK33 »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:22 pm
JayK33 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:09 pm LeVar would be interesting. He's a good trivia player as well, having won on both J! and The Weakest Link. I'm down with that.
Yeah, a host who's 62 would be a great way to attract a younger viewing demographic.
I didn't realize he was already that old. But either way I'd be fine with him.

Anyway, is the rule that when Alex's replacement starts, any Trebek-era contestant can go on the show again as a regular contestant? We could be seeing a lot of familiar faces then. Would ToC veterans be an exception though?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Gayle King?

They won’t do this, but it would be fun to see a slate of several guest hosts for awhile, before committing to someone long term. People are going to complain no matter who they pick. I’ll keep tuning in, unless they go with Sarah Sanders or Meghan McCain

When the news of Alex’s diagnosis first broke, my phone blew up with texts from friends telling me to hurry up and get on the show. Sure, I’d like to get on the show while Alex is still the host, but truly I never looked at the news through the lens of my own disappointment. I’ve had to tell so many people not to bring up the subject with me because they don’t understand my emotional investment in both Alex’s well-being and the future success of the show.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

What about Phil Keoghan? Always liked him on the Amazing Race. Don't know much else about him, except he is a New Zealander so that at least gets the foreign-born checkbox.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Setting aside the woman/POC angle, I could see Pete Buttigieg in the role, if the whole running for President thing doesn’t work out, that is ;)
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

I've said this before. At the time Alex Trebek was hired to be host, there were many, many people available who had actual, proven performance hosting game shows on network television. Some examples: Trebek, Jim Peck, Tom Kennedy, Bob Eubanks, Bill Cullen, Jim Lange, Bill Narz, Gene Rayburn, Wink Martendale, Chuck Woolery, Geoff Edwards, Monty Hall. After decades of "The Price Is Right" being the only network daytime game show, there is no pool of obvious talent to use. It's likely that anyone who is hired will be someone with no game show experience. TPIR and "Family Feud" turned to comedians when they needed new hosts. A comedian would be awful for Jeopardy!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:29 pm It's likely that anyone who is hired will be someone with no game show experience.
For what it's worth, the person who has been seen as the favourite to succeed Trebek does have game show experience. (The Mole)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:32 pm For what it's worth, the person who has been seen as the favourite to succeed Trebek does have game show experience. (The Mole)
I presume you're referring to Anderson Cooper, but there have been a couple of other hosts of that show, both poc, so... if one of those is the favorite according to your information, do tell...
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:22 pm
JayK33 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:09 pm LeVar would be interesting. He's a good trivia player as well, having won on both J! and The Weakest Link. I'm down with that.
Yeah, a host who's 62 would be a great way to attract a younger viewing demographic.
Many younger people (myself included--late 20s) remember LeVar Burton primarily from Reading Rainbow. He was a comforting and educational fixture in my home growing up and I would be happy to have him back on my TV nightly. He's also around the same age as my parents and they loved him as Geordi Laforge on TNG.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

While I'd love to see someone who could realistically host for another 35 years (comfort in stability), I certainly wouldn't mind LeVar Burton. If anyone deserves to be the host of Jeopardy!, it's him.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:11 pm While I'd love to see someone who could realistically host for another 35 years (comfort in stability), I certainly wouldn't mind LeVar Burton. If anyone deserves to be the host of Jeopardy!, it's him.
It's kind of like the pope situation after JPII died. They didn't want someone who would have too much longevity to follow, but someone who could be more of a transition person to a person they really wanted with longevity again.

TV being a different animal, that might not be the best strategy, which would make LeVar Burton the wrong choice.

Whoever they go with needs to be someone with some sort of credibility when they are giving the correct answers. I think the J people are smart enough to know a comedian wouldn't work for this show, but they have to put someone in that might remind viewers of Alex. Don't forget, the set hasn't changed in a long time either, and with a new host, a new set will be needed to fully differentiate the show--nobody could, and nobody should try and continue "Trebek's Jeopardy".

I'm afraid simply putting in a foreign born, female, person of color just to check all the boxes is the wrong way to go; it would be too overwhelming for viewers to take in after Alex has been coming into their homes for 35 years.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:11 pm While I'd love to see someone who could realistically host for another 35 years (comfort in stability), I certainly wouldn't mind LeVar Burton. If anyone deserves to be the host of Jeopardy!, it's him.
Can he really read the clues with his visor on?
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

Why are people saying a comedian wouldn't work for a host? They pretty consistently outperform all other occupations on Celebrity Jeopardy! Obviously the show can't be purely a vehicle for stand up comedy, but some witty quips now and then could work well. Someone like Ben Bailey formerly of Cash Cab would probably be a good fit.

Also, is it unthinkable for the show promote from within, with someone who reads clues during the practice rounds? I preferred Glen Kagan's cadence to Trebek's when I was on stage. Him or one of the Clue Crew wouldn't have the learning curve of an inexperienced host.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Vintsanity wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:38 pmWhy are people saying a comedian wouldn't work for a host?
I will propose that at least some of Trebek's "gravitas" has been earned from how earnest he is, to the point sometimes of being po-faced. A comedian would have to work extra hard not to let quips quell the mo' (to use Maggie Speak's famous expression).
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:31 pm
Can he really read the clues with his visor on?
He now has ocular implants.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I think that Lauren Graham or Alexis Bledel would be good choices, since they've already shown that they can be on a show with fast-talking dialog with some academic and pop culture terms thrown in. Or, since Jeopardy! needs more STEM, maybe someone like Danica McKellar or Mayim Bialik.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:45 pm
Vintsanity wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:38 pmWhy are people saying a comedian wouldn't work for a host?
I will propose that at least some of Trebek's "gravitas" has been earned from how earnest he is, to the point sometimes of being po-faced. A comedian would have to work extra hard not to let quips quell the mo' (to use Maggie Speak's famous expression).
They should at least try out Gilbert Gottfried.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:45 pm
Yes, but we are discussing a potential replacement, not a clone. Like it or not, things will be different with a different host. A little more humor (as long as it comes with plenty of knowledge) shouldn't be dismissed outright.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:04 pm I think that Lauren Graham or Alexis Bledel would be good choices, since they've already shown that they can be on a show with fast-talking dialog with some academic and pop culture terms thrown in. Or, since Jeopardy! needs more STEM, maybe someone like Danica McKellar or Mayim Bialik.
The Gilmore Girls? That’s bold
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:28 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:04 pm I think that Lauren Graham or Alexis Bledel would be good choices, since they've already shown that they can be on a show with fast-talking dialog with some academic and pop culture terms thrown in. Or, since Jeopardy! needs more STEM, maybe someone like Danica McKellar or Mayim Bialik.
The Gilmore Girls? That’s bold
I'm not sure what's bold about it. I was recently on a Gilmore Girls re-watching binge and thought that Lauren would make a good host for J! given how clearly she can talk quickly, which is probably the most important trait for the new host to have. Lauren also has an MA in Theater.