Thursday, April 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7964, 2019-04-04

CONTESTANTS
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada
Anna Hautzinger, a veterinarian from Chicago, Illinois
Alex Koral, a regulatory research counsel from Boulder, Colorado (whose 1-day cash winnings total $26,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to all of you. You have to be bright. You have to be fast. And you have to feel comfortable with the categories if you wanna succeed. All of those three worked for Alex yesterday. Who will they work for today? Anna, James, or Alex? We'll find out now, won't we? Here we go. Categories now in play are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NATURE STICKS IT TO YOU (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE HIGHEST CAPITAL CITY (5/5)
BALLPARK CUISINE (5/5)
U3 (5/5) (Alex: There are 3 U's in each correct response.)
POTPOURRI (5/5)
DON'T TREAD ON MEME (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Alex: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Anna: 0 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Alex had $4,800, Anna was scoreless, and James was at $5,000. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,000.

NATURE STICKS IT TO YOU $1000: The venomous stonefish has a blade called a lachrymal saber that pops out from a bone under this body part

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $10,000
Alex: $4,800
Anna: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: James Holzhauer is from Las Vegas. He is a professional sports gambler. What does that mean, exactly?

James: Oh, I will bet on anything. Why, are you looking for a little action on the Cup this year? I like the Lightning.

Alex: Oh, really? No, I'm not looking for any action whatsoever. I go to Vegas for the shows, not the gambling. Okay.

Alex: Anna Hautzinger is from Chicago, Illinois. There's a mouthful here. You work for an online veterinary teletriage and decision support service. What on earth does that mean?

Anna: Absolutely. It is the veterinary equivalent of a nurse line, in that pet parents can call, chat or email us.

Alex: My dog is suffering from this. He's doing this. What can I do about it, or what is it likely to be?

Anna: Or "How fast do I need to take them in?"

Alex: Ah. Okay, good. So you provide a valuable service.

Alex Trebek: Alex Koral is our champion. Athlete. Scuba diver. And you have done that scuba diving in a place not visited by many Americans.

Alex Koral: Yeah, I might say more of a dilettante than an athlete. But I go down scuba diving. We really enjoy it. And we went on a trip to Cuba a few years ago when things were a little bit more in the thaw, and we went down to a natural park preserve just south of there that's been one of the biggest preserves of the Caribbean for the last few decades.

Alex Trebek: A great place to visit then.

Alex Koral: It's very great.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NATURE STICKS IT TO YOU $800: The stiletto type of this reptile has horizontal fangs & is especially dangerous because it can bite you with its mouth closed

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
James: $13,800
Alex: $7,000
Anna: $0
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ACCORDING TO THE AUTHOR (5/5)
WORLD WAR II (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TRANSPORTATION (3/5)
FROM THE GREEK (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MUSEUMS (5/5)
SMALL SCREEN SHOW TUNES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 15 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Alex: 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Anna: 1 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alex snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Alex had $9,000, Anna was in the red with -$400, and James was at $15,400. Alex wagered $3,000.

WORLD WAR II $2000: Rounds from the Katyusha rocket launcher made a howling sound; German troops called it this enemy leader's "organ"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 10th clue. Alex had $10,800, Anna was in the red with -$400, and James was at $20,200. James wagered $9,812.

FROM THE GREEK $1200: In ancient Greek comedies, there were 24 in this group of performers

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TRANSPORTATION $2000: This sporty Volkswagen coupe debuted in 1955

TRANSPORTATION $1200: Here's the logo of this electric transport sharing company

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $40,412 (lock game)
Alex: $18,000
Anna: $1,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. BODIES OF WATER

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,411 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Alex: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $14,799 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Anna: You've no hope of catching up... unless Alex does something stupid. So risk $1,599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Jordan, Bear & Weber Rivers deposit over a million tons of minerals into it annually, much of that chloride & sodium

FINAL SCORES
Anna: $1,600 + $1,600 = $3,200 (What is the great Salt Lake?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Alex: $18,000 + $2,000 = $20,000 (What is Great Salt Lake?) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $40,412 + $3,268 = $43,680 (What is SGreat Salt Lake? Happy birthday Jack) (New champion: $43,680)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $27,800, 31 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Alex: $17,000, 25 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Anna: $1,600, 1 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $46,400

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 32/60 = .533
Alex: 26/59 = .441
Anna: 2/58 = .034
Team: 60/63 = .952

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
POTPOURRI $1000: The most recent impeachment of a president was in 1998 based on a report by this man

NATURE STICKS IT TO YOU $400: This fish whips its tail forward like a scorpion to stab you with its barbs
(James: What is a ray?)
(Alex Trebek: Be more specific.)
(James: [*]?)

POTPOURRI $200: The cheese-filled receptacle seen here is called this pot

DON'T TREAD ON MEME $400: A 2016 interview with this Batman actor found him looking sad; the internet then made him the meme we deserve
(James: Who is Christian Bale?)

MUSEUMS $400: You too can donate a lock of this to the Turkish museum dedicated to it

WORLD WAR II $400: Launching hostilities in 1939, the Germans used blitzkrieg tactics in their invasion of this country
(Anna: What is Britain?)

ACCORDING TO THE AUTHOR $2000: This author revealed Yoknapatawpha, a place in his books, is a Chickasaw word meaning "water runs slow through flat land"
(Alex Koral: Who is Longfellow?)

TRANSPORTATION $800: This transportation hub in the heart of midtown Manhattan opened in 1913
(Alex Koral: What is Penn Station?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the eye
a snake
Stalin
the chorus
the Karmann Ghia
Bird
the Great Salt Lake
(Kenneth) Starr
a stingray
fondue
Ben Affleck
hair
Poland
(William) Faulkner
Grand Central Station
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. BODIES OF WATER

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Jordan, Bear & Weber rivers deposit over a million tons of minerals into it annually, much of that chloride & sodium

Alex Koral: 18000+2000=20000
Anna Hautzinger: 1600+1600=3200
James Holzhauer: 40412+3268=43680 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Great Salt Lake (James rewrote his G & added Happy birthday Jack)

Daily Doubles
James: 5000+5000
Alex: 9000+3000
James: 20200+9812

Coryats
Alex: 17000
Anna: 1600
James: 27800

Combined: 46,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Alex: 7000
Anna: 0
James: 13800
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex = 25R
James = 31R
What did that leave for Anna? She was not heard from in the J! round. In the DJ! round she negged on a $400 clue and got a $2000 clue to make the FJ! round. That was an awful sandwich job for her stuck in the middle between those guys.

This is not the first rodeo for James as he & his team previously won against the Beast on The Chase and he later was on 500 Questions losing against Steve Bahnaman.

Great job by Alex in showing his win yesterday was no fluke. The repeat was not to be even if had gone all-in on DD2.

BALLPARK CUISINE had a clue using AT&T Park. As of January it's now Oracle Park. Did this name change occur after today's clue was taped?

Host Alex asked James about his sports gambling profession. James asked Trebek if he was looking for a little action on the cup this year. :lol: James said he likes the Lightning. Boooo! Go Sharks! [Not that they have a chance]

The way James wrote his name it reminded me of the writing for the LV Golden Knights.

Cars are not my thing and I was proud to get the VW the contestants did not get as a friend's dad had one years ago. For 2019 cars I find catching the end of TPIR helps with autos often in the showcase.

The FJ! clue had me make a wise switch as I wrote Salton Sea in thinking a sodium to salt connection. Right idea though wrong execution. Fortunately, I kept thinking and never had the pen down.

Funny story for what made me make the switch. My barber (now retired) more than once over the years told me a story about Santa Clara vs. Weber St. in the hoops tourney years (1969) ago. One of his customers played for Weber St. and the underdog Wildcats led the Broncos before Santa Clara came back to win in OT.

The first time I heard the story I had never heard of Weber St. I looked it up and found out the school is in Utah. Today that piece of information saved me from a miss as the river name reminded me of the school.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Vroom vroom!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Myron's record is still intact, as are Wes Ulm's and Larissa Kelly's...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:54 am Myron's record is still intact, as are Wes Ulm's and Larissa Kelly's...
"Highest Day 1 score, regular play", for me, I assume?

(The qualifiers I've added to that record as years go by, sheesh. :) )
eric.backes

Post by eric.backes »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:04 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:54 am Myron's record is still intact, as are Wes Ulm's and Larissa Kelly's...
"Highest Day 1 score, regular play", for me, I assume?

(The qualifiers I've added to that record as years go by, sheesh. :) )
As is my season 35 high...
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

Pour one out for contestant Alex. He did better than I expected given the hype surrounding the challenger even before game one. I was on the wrong side of a game like this one. It was not fun.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I suspect Weber State would be most likely to show up as the alma mater of NBA star Damian Lillard.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

I mean he can definitely ball. That's never gonna be false.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

All hail King James! He delivered the type of virtuoso performance many of us were expecting from him. To have a runaway against a strong player like Alex, who himself posted a $17,000 Coryat, was most impressive. And anyone who was expecting to see a black hat persona from James will have been disappointed.

Like Mark, I was pleased to get the Karmann-Ghia LT in a game that had precious little LT available. And I felt awful for Anna, who had a horrible draw of opponents. For those of us trying to get on the show, getting The Call only to end up sandwiched between 2 buzzsaws is a nightmare scenario. Without any disrespect to her, but strictly out of historical curiosity: is 1 correct response by a contestant a record low?

Back to James: I look forward to the Bugatti's second run around the track.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was 0/5 in Capital City. I just guessed, and was wrong all five times, like EVERY SINGLE TIME I GUESS.

If not for "Nutella", I would've bombed the Baseball category too.

However, I ran U3.

Couldn't zoom in on what reptile could bite. Was trying to coinflip alligator/crocodile and didn't even consider snake. I also thought stingrays looked different than that.

Memes felt very YEKIOYD. I got only $1,000. Didn't help that 2 of the 5 were superheroes (gag) and one was Drumpf's arm candy (double gag). I also didn't know that Cookie Monster counted as a Muppet.

Can't believe I blanked on "retail town in Arkansas" = Bentonville. Hate it when I miss a clue in my wheelhouse.

NHO "I Dreamed a Dream".

Chloride + sodium = salt = Dead Sea. Jordan River leaves me with absolutely no doubt... wait, what? Great Salt Lake? WHAAAAAT?!?
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaksiel
Valued Contributor

Post by Jaksiel »

Obviously it would not have mattered in the end, but I think Alex needed to realize what he was up against and bet way more on that DD.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Wow. That was impressive.

Would have gotten FJ right anyway, but I recently re-watched the 1999 Weber State/UNC Tourney game starring Harold "The Show" Arceneaux, so the school + location were closer to the front of my mind.
Vintsanity wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:56 pm Pour one out for contestant Alex. He did better than I expected given the hype surrounding the challenger even before game one. I was on the wrong side of a game like this one. It was not fun.
Here, here! I thought Alex played a better game tonight than yesterday, and would have won this game against practically anyone else.

Agree with the above post, I would have gone all-in on DD2 if I were him. With that good of an opponent, you really have nothing to lose. Doing so would have kept the game from being a lock, but ultimately did not matter.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Poke and the Two LT's in Transportation.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Snake

This game has a bunch of similarities to Larissa Kelly's Game 1. Not only did James have over $40,000 at the end of DJ but Alex had $18,000 which is the exact same total that Mary Kay Schmidt had in that game.
Douglas Squasoni
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Be careful with Reddit today. Somebody who claims to be a future contestant is posting blatant spoilers.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So how did everyone make the connection to Salt Lake here? I just saw "blah blah Jordan river blah blah salt" and figured it absolutely, positively, 9001% certainly HAD to be Dead Sea, because what the hell else would even make sense?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:18 pm So how did everyone make the connection to Salt Lake here? I just saw "blah blah Jordan river blah blah salt" and figured it absolutely, positively, 9001% certainly HAD to be Dead Sea, because what the hell else would even make sense?
The category said the USA so it couldn't be the Dead Sea.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I was happy to get the Lach trash on snake.

Alex deserves a lot of credit for knocking off a 5xer and then giving a known entity in the quizzing community one hell of a match. But he should have gone for the throat on the DD, and I think that the neg on Longfellow for Faulkner took the wind out of his sails. I wish that Alex could be in the next ToC, but thems the breaks.

It was no surprise that James was a deadly combination of knowledge and strategy. TPTB probably hated the bouncing and DD hunting, but you gotta play to win the game. I personally thought that he overwagered on the chorus DD, but it turned out to be a softball (like a recent LL clue!) and he is way more knowledgeable than I am, so that's only a minor quibble.

Instant get FJ. I had to wonder if Holzhauer really was going to go for Roger Craig's 1-day record.