Friday, April 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, April 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BRD-98 »

Le Master wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:58 pm
BRD-98 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:53 pm Amazing player, the best I've ever seen. Just a casual $89k. It seemed almost pedestrian.
Really? The best? I haven't analyzed the Coryats or anything, but just from watching my impression is his depth of knowledge isn't on the same tier as Ken's and Brad's.
Yes, I would say so far he is tracking to be the best of all time. He is very close to Jennings on Coryat over the first seven games (and in my opinion has played more challenging opponents), and is beating him in most everything else by large margins.

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/jame ... rison.html
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BRD-98 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:01 am
BRD-98 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:53 pm Amazing player, the best I've ever seen. Just a casual $89k. It seemed almost pedestrian.
Really? The best? I haven't analyzed the Coryats or anything, but just from watching my impression is his depth of knowledge isn't on the same tier as Ken's and Brad's.
Yes, I would say so far he is tracking to be the best of all time. He is very close to Jennings on Coryat over the first seven games (and in my opinion has played more challenging opponents), and is beating him in most everything else by large margins.

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/jame ... rison.html
Are you reading the same stats I am? He's only beating Ken by large margins in things that are wagers or directly caused by wagers.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:15 am Are you reading the same stats I am? He's only beating Ken by large margins in things that are wagers or directly caused by wagers.
There's nothing "only" (which is to suggest negligible or irrelevant) about outscoring Ken Jennings by a magnitude of 1.8, nearly double over the course of seven games ($415,035 to $231,000). Or setting six identifiable records.

The majority of useful stats you can analyze are directly affected by wagering.

In terms of things not directly caused by wagers (of which most of the stats are):
-- Less incorrect responses by a factor of 1.44 (9 v 13) -- indicates more assuredness
-- More daily doubles played by a factor of 1.36 (15 v 11) -- indicates better DD hunting
-- More games locked (6/7 v 5/7) (including bc not directly due to wagering, also due to how much money accrued by others)

In terms of coryats, he is $26,657 to Ken's $28,229. However, James' opponents have been significantly stronger than Ken's, as indicated by: less triple stumpers (3.43 to 4.29); opposite player coryat of $9,043 to Ken's $6,814; AND higher combined coryat for James' games. When you consider James' coryats are slightly lower than Ken's yet his combined game coryats are ~$3k higher, all of this adds up to indicate harder competitors.

Statistically, he is performing better than Ken Jennings after 7 games, indisputably.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BRD-98 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:35 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:15 am Are you reading the same stats I am? He's only beating Ken by large margins in things that are wagers or directly caused by wagers.
There's nothing "only" (which is to suggest negligible or irrelevant) about outscoring Ken Jennings by a magnitude of 1.8, nearly double over the course of seven games ($415,035 to $231,000). Or setting six identifiable records.

The majority of useful stats you can analyze are directly affected by wagering.

In terms of things not directly caused by wagers (of which most of the stats are):
-- Less incorrect responses by a factor of 1.44 (9 v 13) -- indicates more assuredness
-- More daily doubles played by a factor of 1.36 (15 v 11) -- indicates better DD hunting
-- More games locked (6/7 v 5/7) (including bc not directly due to wagering, also due to how much money accrued by others)

In terms of coryats, he is $26,657 to Ken's $28,229. However, James' opponents have been significantly stronger than Ken's, as indicated by: less triple stumpers (3.43 to 4.29); opposite player coryat of $9,043 to Ken's $6,814; AND higher combined coryat for James' games. When you consider James' coryats are slightly lower than Ken's yet his combined game coryats are ~$3k higher, all of this adds up to indicate harder competitors.

Statistically, he is performing better than Ken Jennings after 7 games, indisputably.
How convenient you should ignore total correct responses.
Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

hanzz wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:56 am
morbeedo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:44 am James said M-M-M for the 3-letter maker of Scotch tape. I said 3M. Same thing? Never heard MMM
It was asking for the NYSE symbol, which is MMM, not 3M (NYSE symbols can't have numbers, I don't think).
Also, the clue asked for a "3-letter symbol".
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

hbomb1947 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:22 am
morbeedo wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:39 pm For those tempted to go big - a cautionary tale
Some people will draw all the wrong lessons from that video.
Haha true. Given where she was in the game, it was a terrible wager. I’m just saying, given my less than 100% get rate on DD, I’d be too afraid to make those all-in wagers. But we’ll see. I need too start tracking my conversion rate
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

hanzz wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:56 am
morbeedo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:44 am James said M-M-M for the 3-letter maker of Scotch tape. I said 3M. Same thing? Never heard MMM
It was asking for the NYSE symbol, which is MMM, not 3M (NYSE symbols can't have numbers, I don't think).
Oh wow, I completely missed that part of the clue. Thanks
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

That may well be so. That would indicate that being the best Jeopardy! player is not about having a depth of knowledge, but rather about skillfull DD hunting and wagering strategy.

If the showrunners wanted a game where depth of knowledge was explicitly the condition for greatness, they could:
-allow all players to play the DDs
-more extremely, dispense with DDs entirely
-more extremely yet, dispense with both DDs and FJ

It might make for less exciting television though.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

kprather895 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 pm When James commented that he's running out of dates to wager, Alex quipped that he could use his birthday. That wager would be a cool $72,240.
Just think, if he didn't hold back on his DD wagers today, he could have safely done so today! HOLY SHIT I'M JUST WRITING THAT DOWN BUT MY HEAD ISN'T WRAPPED AROUND IT YET.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

RKane wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:21 am
kprather895 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 pm When James commented that he's running out of dates to wager, Alex quipped that he could use his birthday. That wager would be a cool $72,240.
Just think, if he didn't hold back on his DD wagers today, he could have safely done so today! HOLY SHIT I'M JUST WRITING THAT DOWN BUT MY HEAD ISN'T WRAPPED AROUND IT YET.
I'm not too invested in who is the GOAT, etc.., but James definitely has introduced a paradigm shift. We will never be in awe at $30K averages when the next shiny object comes along :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:10 am
I'm not too invested in who is the GOAT, etc.., but James definitely has introduced a paradigm shift. We will never be in awe at $30K averages when the next shiny object comes along :).
C'mon! You'll be in awe when I get on the show, even if I don't make it to Final!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:26 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:10 am
C'mon! You'll be in awe when I get on the show, even if I don't make it to Final!
I will legitimately be in awe if you wear your clown nose on the show.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

JayK33 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:37 pm Not gonna say I'm 100% positive about this, but I am fairly sure that James set another record today -- highest score after the first round. I don't remember anyone ever making it to $20K in SJ alone. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Don't know if it's ever happened, but when I saw that at the commercial break my comment was "That's insane!"
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I came up with "Proof (coin)" for my only LT of this game. As I look back on Jason's streak of wins I realize that I have answered a total of five (!) triple-stumpers in seven games. They are REALLY mopping up the boards and not leaving much in the way of scraps for us mere mortals. And by "they" of course I mean primarily Jason.

I'm with the rest of you. Almost a $60K average for seven wins? This is like some guy hitting the major leagues and slugging 90-100 homers a season. Just not supposed to happen.

I set down my imaginary at-home signaling button and kneel in homage.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

hbomb1947 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:22 amI will legitimately be in awe if you wear your clown nose on the show.
People do all sorts of gestures during the opening, but I’ve never seen anyone working props. Doesn’t mean I won’t try! I’ve been thinking about it!

I didn’t see any of Jennifer Morrow’s games (was living in Senegal in 2015), but when did she pull out the drumsticks?
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:36 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:22 amI will legitimately be in awe if you wear your clown nose on the show.
People do all sorts of gestures during the opening, but I’ve never seen anyone working props. Doesn’t mean I won’t try! I’ve been thinking about it!

I didn’t see any of Jennifer Morrow’s games (was living in Senegal in 2015), but when did she pull out the drumsticks?
During the first-day interview, and at the end of that show, after I won. (They had been obtained from Rush as, per my banner, a “token of favour to carry in thy honor”; a good knight pays homage to their patrons after a victory.)

The rest of the time, they were at my side, in a belt sheath my mom had made out of leftover scraps from my dad’s recently-retired leather recliner. I had great fun carrying my lunch tray through the Sony commissary wearing that - envisioned myself as an extra in a 1950s sword-and-sandal epic.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

John Boy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:33 am
I'm with the rest of you. Almost a $60K average for seven wins? This is like some guy hitting the major leagues and slugging 90-100 homers a season. Just not supposed to happen.
What's even wilder is even if we don't consider his record-breaking game, his average over the other 6 is still over $50k, so it's not even like it was an anomaly that completely skewed the data. The only other instance I can think of someone having an average over $50k at any time would be Roger after his second game. (Myron of course had an average of precisely $50k after his first game.)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

An interesting note about James unrelated to his game play: periodically there's been discussion here about how the stated 18-month duration for how long applicants are in the pool post-audition isn't completely rigid. On his FB fan page, James reported that he got The Call 22 months after his audition. I keep forgetting how long the interval was for Seaborgium; was it even longer?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:24 pm The rest of the time, they were at my side, in a belt sheath my mom had made out of leftover scraps from my dad’s recently-retired leather recliner. I had great fun carrying my lunch tray through the Sony commissary wearing that - envisioned myself as an extra in a 1950s sword-and-sandal epic.
Jennifer, you were already my favorite J! contestant, but this takes it over the top!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Kamala.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Proof
Douglas Squasoni