Thursday, February 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

optimusjaim
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Thursday, February 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by optimusjaim »

Good people of the forum,

My name's Jaime, I was on this episode. And I would have excoriated anyone else for making my FJ wager, normally. But regardless of that, it was a good game. However, it really wasn't too much fun coming to the dual realization about a second after the think music ended that a) Kafka wrote in the 20th Century and b) They were definitely looking for the guy who wrote Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, whose name eluded me. Chalk it up to the nerves, I guess.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Paucle wrote:
BigDaddyJ wrote:
dhkendall wrote: I instantly knew it was referring to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, but I realized that I didn't know for the life of me who on earth wrote it!
Ditto. I most closely associate Stevenson with Treasure Island and couldn't have named another work of his.
Someone didn't play the "Authors" card game in school! Else you'd also know those two, plus Kidnapped and A Child's Garden of Verses.
Or watch Jeopardy! last July, the most recent time R.L. Stevenson was identified as the author of Dr. J. and Mr. H.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

optimusjaim wrote:Good people of the forum,

My name's Jaime, I was on this episode. And I would have excoriated anyone else for making my FJ wager, normally. But regardless of that, it was a good game. However, it really wasn't too much fun coming to the dual realization about a second after the think music ended that a) Kafka wrote in the 20th Century and b) They were definitely looking for the guy who wrote Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, whose name eluded me. Chalk it up to the nerves, I guess.
We usually blame it on the lights. And welcome, Jaime!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Good game. Not a lot of people run a category first thing out of the gate.

Do you pronounce your name the way Alex did? I had to wonder every time he put the accent on the second syllable.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ouch. Retro good luck and all that. Once you've had your game, do they let you watch the ones that follow? If so, it must have been awful for you watching the end of last night's game.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

alamble wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:Define "major city" in Australia :D
After Melbourne, you'd be hardpressed to find someone familiar even with Canberra, let alone, say, Hobart.
Exactly. How would I know right away that it's Sydney, and not Melbourne, Brisbane or Canberra? (And IMO, you should know Canberra since it's the freakin' capital.)
Sydney is the most populous city in Australia. When in doubt (especially on an upper-row clue), always go for the biggest city.
The key to the clue is that they wanted Australia's first university. It's a fairly logical leap from there to the oldest city in the country.
GregK wrote: And though some may root for the underdogs, I was glad the contestant from the best academic reputation school of the 3 won the 2d game at least.
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but that strikes me as awfully elitist. One of the things I like about Jeopardy! is that the stay-at-home-mom or the grocer could very easily beat the surgeon. It's still a game show and if the person with the highest SAT scores wins each day, well, that's just not very entertaining to me.
optimusjaim
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by optimusjaim »

seaborgium wrote:

Good game. Not a lot of people run a category first thing out of the gate.

Do you pronounce your name the way Alex did? I had to wonder every time he put the accent on the second syllable.
I pronounce it with emphasis on the first syllable, the (more) normal way. I don't know why he did that, to be honest.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Johnny Gilbert pronounces names as he's told, and Alex pronounces names as he wants. My name's Stefan, and I pronounce it "STEF-in," but Alex took a tour of Europe each time he called on me, varying whether he said "in" or "on" or another vowel, and whether he stressed the first or second syllable.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

While we're on the topic, I will never for the life of me understand why people ALWAYS ask me how to spell my last name (Peacock). It's like the freaking bird; what else do you think it might be?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

jeff6286 wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:Judges, will you accept "avocado" for "guacamole"?
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have been acceptable, because they asked for a "south of the border dip". While it may be made from avocados, I think for this clue you would have had to name the dip.
Yeahbut, there is no such thing as a guacamole pit. I say accept it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Vanya wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:Judges, will you accept "avocado" for "guacamole"?
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have been acceptable, because they asked for a "south of the border dip". While it may be made from avocados, I think for this clue you would have had to name the dip.
Yeahbut, there is no such thing as a guacamole pit. I say accept it.
The clue said "Leave the pit in," with nothing coming close to implying the pit belonged to the correct response.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:Johnny Gilbert pronounces names as he's told, and Alex pronounces names as he wants. My name's Stefan, and I pronounce it "STEF-in," but Alex took a tour of Europe each time he called on me, varying whether he said "in" or "on" or another vowel, and whether he stressed the first or second syllable.
He didn't realize you were the same guy.

ImageImageImage