So...what have we learned so far from James Holzhauer?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lampy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: So...what have we learned so far from James Holzhauer?

Post by Lampy »

The idea that I am on some sort of threadjacking rampage is pretty false. I've made 11 posts TOTAL on jboard since the thing about him being on went up. This was my first negative post about him in a month. There have now been more posts by you complaining about my posts than anything I posted, and far more words.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

Lampy wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:59 pm The idea that I am on some sort of threadjacking rampage is pretty false. I've made 11 posts TOTAL on jboard since the thing about him being on went up. This was my first negative post about him in a month. There have now been more posts by you complaining about my posts than anything I posted, and far more words.
I probably could have stayed out of it and this thread could have returned to something resembling normalcy. I accept co-equal responsibility for running this thing into the ground. But without further evidence that has not been forthcoming, I find your "exploitative, bullying sociopath" statement to be over the line. I keep expecting it to come out that James slept with your mom or something, but so far the only negative about him that I am aware are those years old cheating allegations. I know a lot of boardies and other trivia enthusiasts interact with each other in real life, and I'm just observing from the cheap seats, so if there is more to it let me know and I'll shut up about it. But until then I'm going to balk at unsubstantiated diagnoses of personality disorders.

*Edited to add a word.
akrites
Valued Contributor

Post by akrites »

Does anyone know if Holzhauer's poker strategy site still exists?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

akrites wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:41 am Does anyone know if Holzhauer's poker strategy site still exists?
no...the owner sold it when black friday and started concentrating on dfs...the guy who began the site went to uni of illinois like holzhauer did...my guess as to how he got connected with the site....can't find anything on what the name of the site was, but one of the biggest pre black friday strat sites was cardrunners, and since cardrunners began at uni of illinois it wouldn't be that big of a stretch to make that correlation to holzhauer and cardrunners being the poker strat site
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

looks like his username on 2+2 poker forum is crockpot
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I wonder what it is about him that rubs people the wrong way?

Holzhauer Tweet.jpg
Holzhauer Tweet.jpg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

alietr wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:04 am I wonder what it is about him that rubs people the wrong way?

Holzhauer Tweet.jpg
They’ve had a playful back-and-forth. Keep in mind Jennings KNOWS his fate since he was at the season finale.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Austin Powers wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:19 am
alietr wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:04 am I wonder what it is about him that rubs people the wrong way?

Holzhauer Tweet.jpg
They’ve had a playful back-and-forth. Keep in mind Jennings KNOWS his fate since he was at the season finale.
Yeah, anyone who's been following the twitter exchange between Ken - who's on record as being a big admirer of James - and James knows this is a big nothingburger and standard-issue trash talk. They're having a lot of fun with this.

Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I don't think he's actually mad.

4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

zakharov wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:38 am I don't think he's actually mad.

It's public that Ken was there the last day of filming for the season, so he would either know James's run didn't reach the length of his own or I think he would have accepted by now that James will probably surpass if he won through game 62. I bet naturally a part of Ken wants to hang on to that streak record, but he really does seem like the kind of guy who would publicly celebrate James if he does go beyond 74.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

hbomb1947 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:36 am
Austin Powers wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:19 am

Holzhauer Tweet.jpg
Yeah, anyone who's been following the twitter exchange between Ken - who's on record as being a big admirer of James - and James knows this is a big nothingburger and standard-issue trash talk. They're having a lot of fun with this.

is weird...jennings is the only person that the holzhauer dude follows on twitter
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasketRomance wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:41 pm

is weird...jennings is the only person that the holzhauer dude follows on twitter
Last week James followed three: David Madden, Julia Collins and Ken Jennings. As he passed 19 & 20 he unfollowed the corresponding champ, leaving just the one.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Last week James followed three: David Madden, Julia Collins and Ken Jennings. As he passed 19 & 20 he unfollowed the corresponding champ, leaving just the one.
Oh, boy.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

Actually he started following Brad yesterday.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Le Master wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:14 am

Classic. Shows who's in his sights now. I for one can't wait until the Menace King can unfollow both Ken and Brad.

Also, I think I realized why I like James so much, or, at least, found an interesting analogy. I also am a big Djokovic fan (in his case, the Eastern European ancestry goes a long way as well, I admit) ... largely because there was this paradigm of "Roger or Nadal" vying for the title of GOAT, then out of the woodwork comes this vaguely villainous Serbian, shakes up the system and throws people off ... people like binary choices, be it night or day, black or white, or Federer or Rafa. I like the disruptor. Similarly, with J!, the GOAT debate has long been Ken vs. Brad (and fair enough). There have been other contenders, but the fact is they were first and second three times out of the three. I was rooting for Roger in the BotD and I was rooting for Alex in the ASG (kind of; the very awkward format makes rooting for one person a bit off), partly because I like those guys, and partly because I like the idea of the duality being disrupted. With James, I think we have finally found our Novak.

I will add as a caveat that if Novak is playing Milos, Shapovalov or Felix A-A; or if King James ever played Michael Daunt, Robert Slaven or Bob Blake, I would feel compelled to root for my countryman in any of those cases while still considering the other to be my favourite player. Yes this makes sense.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

RKane wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:52 pm

Classic. Shows who's in his sights now. I for one can't wait until the Menace King can unfollow both Ken and Brad.

Also, I think I realized why I like James so much, or, at least, found an interesting analogy. I also am a big Djokovic fan (in his case, the Eastern European ancestry goes a long way as well, I admit) ... largely because there was this paradigm of "Roger or Nadal" vying for the title of GOAT, then out of the woodwork comes this vaguely villainous Serbian, shakes up the system and throws people off ... people like binary choices, be it night or day, black or white, or Federer or Rafa. I like the disruptor. Similarly, with J!, the GOAT debate has long been Ken vs. Brad (and fair enough). There have been other contenders, but the fact is they were first and second three times out of the three. I was rooting for Roger in the BotD and I was rooting for Alex in the ASG (kind of; the very awkward format makes rooting for one person a bit off), partly because I like those guys, and partly because I like the idea of the duality being disrupted. With James, I think we have finally found our Novak.

I will add as a caveat that if Novak is playing Milos, Shapovalov or Felix A-A; or if King James ever played Michael Daunt, Robert Slaven or Bob Blake, I would feel compelled to root for my countryman in any of those cases while still considering the other to be my favourite player. Yes this makes sense.
i am a slav and hate djokovic
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

RKane wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:52 pm

That's funny. Tennis is the only sport I follow (and also play), and I detest Djokovic - and I love James. While his name is now in the goat debate, I never really thought of James as disruptor like that. I think most fans of the show aren't really polarized with their admiration for James, Ken, and Brad like tennis fans are with Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic.

By the way, when asked what I would do with my winnings during my audition last year, I said I would go see Federer play at Wimbledon before he retires. :P
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

James's combination of fame and strong ties to the Las Vegas community have led to this . . . unique offer.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertain ... kEUjThrzxg
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:08 am James's combination of fame and strong ties to the Las Vegas community have led to this . . . unique offer.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertain ... kEUjThrzxg
This would make a good interview segment in the S36 debut, if he is still there.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

After some introspection, I have realized that I might not dislike James so much if his run wasn't coinciding with the absolute worst of times for me. I'd still find his mannerisms irksome, but I'd like to think I could at least be congratulatory. The other strong runs and top money earners all came at a better time in my life, and to watch someone achieving such a staggering success at practically the only thing I'm good at while still being unable to land a job is certainly not helping my depression.

So really it's not so much him I don't like as it is the contrast to my personal failure.