Monday, April 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7971, 2019-04-15

James Holzhauer game 8.

CONTESTANTS
Megan McLeod, a cinema manager from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Kevin Bohannon, a cell biologist from Ann Arbor, Michigan
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 7-day cash winnings total $415,035)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. Only three players--Ken Jennings, Julia Collins and Dave Madden--have earned more money than our current champion, James, in regular competition games on Jeopardy!. But James has earned his considerable amount of money faster than any other player. The question is, can he be stopped? Megan and Kevin are here today to do just that. Let's see how it all works out. Good luck, players. Here we go. Here are the categories for the first round of play today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE FIRST WINNER (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WORLD FULL OF IDIOMS (5/5)
BIBLICAL PAINTINGS (5/5)
NAME IN COMMON (5/5)
INSIDE THE COUNTRY (5/5) (Alex: Each clue will contain a word that is found within the country that is the correct response.)
APRIL FOOLERY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 20 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Kevin: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Megan: 2 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $7,800
Kevin: $2,400
Megan: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Megan McLeod is a cinema manager from one of my favorite cities: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. But I wanna talk about another place--Iceland. What is your fascination with that country? You have visited there how many times?

Megan: Three times.

Alex: Why?

Megan: Well, it's a long story of seeing Björk's old band on Saturday Night Live and going, "Where? They're from Iceland. What? What is that?" And so ever since then, I would--like, on my wall when I was growing up, I had pictures of glaciers and volcanoes and stuff. I didn't get to go there until their financial collapse and I could afford to go. But since then I've been there two more times.

Alex: All you need is more countries to collapse and you'll be able--

Megan: Exactly. Exactly.

Alex: And you'll be able to afford to visit them.

Alex: Kevin Bohannon from Ann Arbor, Michigan. A cell biologist who maintains a very old peony garden.

Kevin: Right.

Alex: In exchange for?

Kevin: In exchange for food, essentially. My landlady has a house that's on a century-old peony garden. I love working in the yard. She loves to cook. And I come out on a pretty good end of that deal.

Alex: Not bad. Okay. Good for you.

Alex: James Holzhauer is our champion, ladies and gentlemen, as you all know. He and his wife have--keep in mind he's been with us for over a week now, so he and his wife have had a chance to talk about how they're going to spend what he has earned so far. And I gather it's going to be devoted to a year of wow.

James: This is what my wife calls it. She has very flowery prose. But we were thinking maybe we pick 12 of our favorite cities around the world, rent an apartment for a month each, and you know, really absorb the local culture more than just a simple vacation.

Alex: You see what you could do, folks, if you could only manage to win over $400,000 on Jeopardy!?

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. James had $8,400, Kevin had $3,000, and Megan was at $1,200. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $8,400.

THE FIRST WINNER $600: In 1903 Maurice Garin was its first winner in 94 hours, 33 minutes, 14 seconds
(James: What is Paris to Dakar?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kevin: $4,400
James: $2,800
Megan: $1,200
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ITALIAN, STRESSING (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POP CULTURE PAIRS (5/5)
ON PINS & NEEDLES (4/5)
ONE-ACT PLAYS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LET'S GO TO THE WILDLIFE REFUGE (4/5)
ONOMATOPOETIC WORDS (5/5) (Alex: The correct response will be words made from the letters in "onomatopoetic".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 17 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Kevin: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Megan: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. James had $7,200, Kevin had $6,800, and Megan was at $3,200. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $7,200.

ITALIAN, STRESSING $1200: This physicist had a Jewish wife, Laura; when Fascist Italy adopted policies of Nazi Germany, it was time to leave

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 9th clue. James had $15,600, Kevin had $6,800, and Megan was at $3,200. James wagered $8,615.

ONE-ACT PLAYS $1600: Conversations devolve into babbling in Onesco's "The Bald Soprano", a prime example of the theatre of this

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LET'S GO TO THE WILDLIFE REFUGE $1200: Thousands of acres in Virginia's James River Refuge are covered by the loblolly species of this type of evergreen tree
(Kevin: What is a fir?)

ON PINS & NEEDLES $1200: It's the 6-letter term for the "needle" that follows the groove in a vinyl record

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $35,415 (lock game)
Kevin: $12,400
Megan: $4,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STAMPS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $10,614 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Kevin: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,799 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Megan: You've no hope of catching up... unless Kevin does something stupid. So risk $4,799.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Living people are rarely seen on a stamp, but in July 1945 the USPS issued one depicting this military event

FINAL SCORES
Megan: $4,800 - $3,800 = $1,000 (What is flag on Iw) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kevin: $12,400 + $0 = $12,400 (What is raising the flag at Iwo Jima?) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $35,415 + $10,029 = $45,444 (What is D Day Iwo Jima flag raising HBD Michael) (8-day champion: $460,479)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $30,800, 37 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Kevin: $12,400, 15 R, 1 W
Megan: $4,800, 5 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $48,000

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 38/61 = .623
Kevin: 16/58 = .276
Megan: 5/58 = .086
Team: 59/63 = .937

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BIBLICAL PAINTINGS $600: Marc Chagall depicted this Biblical king playing the harp (which might have really been a lyre)
(Megan: Who is Solomon?)

BIBLICAL PAINTINGS $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows "The Last Supper" on the monitor.) Bad-luck omens can be seen in Leonardo's "Last Supper"--not only are there 13 people present, but this has spilled salt

LET'S GO TO THE WILDLIFE REFUGE $2000: New York's Seatuck Refuge is home to these birds of prey also known as fish eagles

POP CULTURE PAIRS $2000: "Shaun of the Dead" & "Hot Fuzz" are two collaborations by the British pair Nick Frost & him

POP CULTURE PAIRS $1600: This comic strip pair sounds like they would be very direct & sincere

LET'S GO TO THE WILDLIFE REFUGE $800: More than 5,000 of these big deer spend winters at the Wyoming national refuge named for them
(James: What are moose?)

ITALIAN, STRESSING $800: This opera legend was known for pre-concert jitters, but once he got out there, he seemed fine

ONOMATOPOETIC WORDS $400: Pigeon pen
(Megan: Oh, no. What is a coo--oh, shoot.)
(Alex: Say it.)
[The lights go out on Megan's podium.]
(Megan: What is [*]?)
(Alex: [As Kevin rings in] Ah, too late.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Tour de France
(Enrico) Fermi
the absurd
a pine
the stylus
raising the flag on Iwo Jima
David
Judas
osprey
Simon Pegg
Frank and Ernest
elk
Pavarotti
a coop
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STAMPS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Living people are rarely seen on a stamp, but in July 1945 the USPS issued one depicting this military event

James Holzhauer: 35415+10029=45,444 (8x = $460,479)
Kevin Bohannon: 12400+0=12400
Megan McLeod: 4800-3800=1000

Correct response:
Spoiler
raising the flag on Iwo Jima (James crossed out D Day and added HBD Michael) (Megan – flag on Iw)

Daily Doubles
James: 8400-8400=0
James: 7200+7200
James: 15600+8615

Coryats
James: 30800
Kevin: 12400
Megan: 4800

Combined: 48,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 2800
Kevin: 4400
Megan: 1200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex was right that STAMPS has not been a FJ! category before although the Archive shows seven instances with "Stamps" as part of the category name.

James demonstrated how quickly a missed DD in the J! round can be just a small bump in the road as he quickly worked to make up for it, turning the scoreboard in his favor by DD2.

The FJ! clue had me spend longer on working out my wording than the solve itself. After determining there was no good reason to use Mt. Suribachi in my response I went five words with FROIJ while Kevin had six with RTFAIJ and James was the most efficient with IJFR.

James zooms past Julia and David on the regular play money list and next up is Ken Jennings. Only 66 wins and over two million dollars plus to go.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

At this rate, James will be breaking a million in another couple weeks.

Got FJ right. Seemed easy.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

James likely would have had the second highest total after the Jeopardy Round had he not gone for the Dakar Rally (which started in 1977) instead of the Tour de France with probably $19,600 (had he gotten the DD and earned the additional $2,800 he actually ended the round with).
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:19 am
The FJ! clue had me spend longer on working out my wording than the solve itself. After determining there was no good reason to use Mt. Suribachi in my response I went five words with FROIJ while Kevin had six with RTFAIJ and James was the most efficient with IJFR.
I went through a similar mental exercise. I knew the event they were looking for, but didn't know how best to word the response. The first thing that popped into my head was "raising the flag over Iwo Jima." Then I thought that was too wordy and assumed they were looking for a string of words most people would use. So I spent a few seconds trying to remember the title of the Clint Eastwood film. Felt that wouldn't work, so ended up settling with my original thought - which turned out to be fine.
KevinBohannon

Post by KevinBohannon »

First, sorry for rocking back and forth. I know people will find it annoying, but I'm a kinetic person.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:19 am The FJ! clue had me spend longer on working out my wording than the solve itself. After determining there was no good reason to use Mt. Suribachi in my response I went five words with FROIJ while Kevin had six with RTFAIJ and James was the most efficient with IJFR.
I initially wrote, "What is Iwo Jima?" then scrunched the rest of the words on there. Far too easy for FJ.

I'm happy with how I did considering I hadn't seen James play. It's possible facing a record-breaking champion affected my psyche, but I didn't feel nervous. I also don't think that I let the feeling of the inevitable negatively affect my tenacity. Oh to have more time with that buzzer...

James graciously chalked up his win to "home field" advantage, even though he'd easily beat me in any form of trivia. I consider myself one of his first fans and hope he continues to dominate.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

KevinBohannon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pmI consider myself one of his first fans
Enough of a fan to make a website about him? :D
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

KevinBohannon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm First, sorry for rocking back and forth. I know people will find it annoying, but I'm a kinetic person.
I frequently leaned forward while answering, as if there was a microphone stand six inches in front of me.
Ugh, so annoying! (to this viewer, at least - no one else ever even noticed...)
KevinBohannon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm I'm happy with how I did considering I hadn't seen James play. It's possible facing a record-breaking champion affected my psyche, but I didn't feel nervous. I also don't think that I let the feeling of the inevitable negatively affect my tenacity. Oh to have more time with that buzzer...

James graciously chalked up his win to "home field" advantage, even though he'd easily beat me in any form of trivia. I consider myself one of his first fans and hope he continues to dominate.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

It's definitely a tough draw to be a Monday challenger. The champ knows the ropes, but you didn't even have the orientation of watching a game (or three) from the audience.

Be proud of your showing, Kevin!

and don't forget, having a game show in your resume is a great way to get yourself onto another one someday... ;)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
KevinBohannon

Post by KevinBohannon »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:13 pm
KevinBohannon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pmI consider myself one of his first fans
Enough of a fan to make a website about him? :D
LMAO, hell no!

I was looking for "leaks" after taping and learning about James's incredible first week. I was surprised that the King James website and a few comments on reddit were the only mentions of James. Good job keeping a secret, everybody! (At least until the "Next Great Champion" promo.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

RobW wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:05 pm
KevinBohannon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm First, sorry for rocking back and forth. I know people will find it annoying, but I'm a kinetic person.
I frequently leaned forward while answering, as if there was a microphone stand six inches in front of me.
Ugh, so annoying! (to this viewer, at least - no one else ever even noticed...)
KevinBohannon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm I'm happy with how I did considering I hadn't seen James play. It's possible facing a record-breaking champion affected my psyche, but I didn't feel nervous. I also don't think that I let the feeling of the inevitable negatively affect my tenacity. Oh to have more time with that buzzer...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

It's definitely a tough draw to be a Monday challenger. The champ knows the ropes, but you didn't even have the orientation of watching a game (or three) from the audience.

Be proud of your showing, Kevin!

and don't forget, having a game show in your resume is a great way to get yourself onto another one someday... ;)
Annoyed by your leaning? What about this airing all the time during the promos for the online tests? :lol:
Spoiler
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:58 pm
Annoyed by your leaning? What about this airing all the time during the promos for the online tests? :lol:
Spoiler
Well if we're aiming to pick the worst, it's gotta be that backwards alphabet singing. ugh! I dance far better than I sing, and I say that as the epitome of "damning with faint praise." ;)

(honestly I had no recollection that Alex J said the exact.same.thing in one of his interviews... I taught myself that parlor trick in 1991!)

That said, of course I wouldn't change a thing. :)
Last edited by RobW on Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:19 am Alex was right that STAMPS has not been a FJ! category before although the Archive shows seven instances with "Stamps" as part of the category name.
At least 8 because the Archive doesn't have Cliff Clavin's episode.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Instaget Final.

ETA: Pretty sure I saw Buzzy in the audience during the shot right before Alex walked on stage. Had read he was in attendance for some of James' games, so I'm happy to figure out which games he saw. ETA again: Should've checked Kevin's Reddit post LOL, thanks for the confirmation!

To be fair, I didn't even notice the rocking, and should I ever get on stage, I'll probably absent-mindedly do the same. No need to worry!

That's a tough break, going right up on stage without watching James play at least once, which would have allowed you more time to develop a strategy. Nevertheless, many congrats on putting up a good fight against an all-time great. I sincerely hope you stick around and add more insight as James' run continues!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Didn't notice!

Congrats on a valiant effort. Right before the show started, I said to my cats, "Now remember, Kevin and Megan haven't seen James play yet!"

I'm usually not thrown by the bottom row bounce, but it took me a few clues to get into it today. No guess on Aristides and didn't understand "IN THE COUNTRY" right away

4/4 on the big clues today. I coulda killed the giant! The Tour de France miss was a surprise. I thought, does the streak end today? But only James knows where to find the DDs

An audible moan from the audience when Megan trailed off with "Coo..." and Kevin swooped in to take the points. The game was double locked at that point, but it was a moment of pathos. She was RIGHT THERE!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

KevinBohannon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm
I'm happy with how I did considering I hadn't seen James play. It's possible facing a record-breaking champion affected my psyche, but I didn't feel nervous. I also don't think that I let the feeling of the inevitable negatively affect my tenacity. Oh to have more time with that buzzer...

Kevin, thanks for posting here and welcome to this board! I feel bad that you had the misfortune of having to face arguably the most dominant player of all time. Based on what I saw from you in this game, as well as your strategic plan before you even got to Culver City (as indicated in one of your reddit posts), I feel you could have done quite well against a lot of other returning champions. It's also nice, but not surprising, to hear that James was gracious to you.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

KevinBohannon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm I initially wrote, "What is Iwo Jima?"
I can't imagine that they would not have accepted that.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I initially wrote, "What is Iwo Jima?" then scrunched the rest of the words on there. Far too easy for FJ.

I didn't notice it either, and I certainly pick up on those sorts of things.

Truth be told, realizing it was a Monday and you hadn't seen a game previously, I thought you picked up on the needed strategy quite quickly.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This could be called another "game of wow" authored by James. He showed why those who have opined that his all-in DD wagers are "reckless" are in error, particularly as applied to the early-in-the-game juncture where the $8,400 loss occurred here. When your average Coryat is over $27K, and your opponents have relatively low scores when you hit the DD, and you have the calmness that James's experience at high-stakes gambling has helped equip him with, here's what happens: if he gets it right, he takes a commanding and demoralizing lead and comes close to having another game where his score is north of $20K after the SJ round alone. Even if, as occurred, he shockingly negs on the clue, he has plenty of time to not only get back in the game, but build up enough money to have his unprecedented 7th runaway in his first 8 games.

Instaget FJ for me. Like some others, I wondered just how much I would have to write out for my response to be accepted.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide