Monday, April 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, April 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

KevinBohannon wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:19 am One final thought before bed: not seeing him play, I didn't know HOW James won that much cash. While wagering on FJ, I took an uncomfortably long time in a double-lock game to make my wager. Why? Because I thought, "Is he betting it all? Is he betting within one dollar of my score? He IS a gambler."
That certainly occurred to me as well, and I could see thinking that coming in blindly like you did. Each FJ, I still wonder whether he's going to Clavin it.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

KevinBohannon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm I'm happy with how I did considering I hadn't seen James play. It's possible facing a record-breaking champion affected my psyche, but I didn't feel nervous. I also don't think that I let the feeling of the inevitable negatively affect my tenacity. Oh to have more time with that buzzer...
Could you talk about your experience with the buzzer? Did you feel you were ringing in too early or too late? Did the contestant coordinators give you any feedback at the break? Did you change your grip at all during the game?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:02 am This FJ was a multi-plex like last week's clue about a Hollywood group. I saw July and thought D-Day and then processed 1945 and switched to V-E Day, although I couldn't figure out which living person might be the chosen image. Maybe the famous sailor #metoo offense? This was a month before A-bombs dropping. TIL the Mt. Suribachi event happened in February 1945, so I don't know how so many boardies got there specifically since the July TOM is no help.
My thought process: what's an iconic WWII image that could fit on a postage stamp? Iwo Jima. Done.

Google image search Iwo Jima, you get the flag raising (iconic). Search D-Day, you get a bunch of different photos of people jumping out of a boat (not iconic)

WWII is a weak area for me, but I just bought Beevor's book, The Second World War. Maybe I'll learn something

At one of the tapings I attended a while back, there was a FJ clue about Iwo Jima:
WORLD WAR II: The book "From the Volcano to the Gorge" tells the story of this World War II battle

I think that one was much harder
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

John Boy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:57 am #2 all time. Just wow. What will it take to stop him?
Just a bad hair day by him. Zero DD's or even a neg DD and a softball FJ from second place.

I hate to play the Roger Maris asterisk card, but the five games and out rule is a huge ranking schism. James is #1 all time by the old five and out rule, and until his run ends, it's premature to estimate his stature for "all time". He certainly could captain one of the UTOC teams already. Revisit this after 22+ wins and 1 million bucks.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 am
John Boy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:57 am #2 all time. Just wow. What will it take to stop him?
Just a bad hair day by him. Zero DD's or even a neg DD and a softball FJ from second place.

I hate to play the Roger Maris asterisk card, but the five games and out rule is a huge ranking schism. James is #1 all time by the old five and out rule, and until his run ends, it's premature to estimate his stature for "all time". He certainly could captain one of the UTOC teams already. Revisit this after 22+ wins and 1 million bucks.
22+?

My calculator has 8 wins & $460,479 for daily average of $57,560. $1M divided by the daily average is 17.37 days to hit the million dollar mark.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

James continues to impress. Even if he misses an all-in DD, he can get right back up there.

I clammed on "Key" because I didn't know it was part of a basketball court.

We're in the Holy Week season, and I still blanked on Pontius Pilate.

"Structure in Genesis" seemed like negbait for Noah's Ark.

Paris to Dakar was a baffling guess on Tour de France (which I admit I blanked on too).

All but the first box in World Idioms. I couldn't figure out what "wiggle your bucket" could be.

I've heard "fools rush in", but the "...where angels..." part was new to me.

Can't say I've heard of Salome before.

Iwo Jima briefly flitted through my mind, but not enough for me to consider writing it down. I ended up with nothing but absolute conviction that it was literally anything BUT Iwo Jima.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:48 pm "Structure in Genesis" seemed like negbait for Noah's Ark.
"6 1/2-foot tall painting" was sufficient to nip any ambiguity about that in the bud.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:05 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:48 pm "Structure in Genesis" seemed like negbait for Noah's Ark.
"6 1/2-foot tall painting" was sufficient to nip any ambiguity about that in the bud.
Not necessarily. The Ark was huge too, and I could see someone making a really big painting of that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:12 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:02 am Wow, I don't audit my Lach Trash, but I did remember stylus, and understand why nobody should know that now.
Just two days after Record Store Day? I realize vinyl is still a bit of a niche thing, but LPs sales have increased dramatically in the last few years:
https://www.statista.com/chart/7699/lp- ... ed-states/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/billrosenb ... e8a0421c9c
I own a record player, and I didn't know it was ever called anything other than a needle. If you say "stylus" to me, I think of a graphics tablet.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:22 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:12 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:02 am Wow, I don't audit my Lach Trash, but I did remember stylus, and understand why nobody should know that now.
Just two days after Record Store Day? I realize vinyl is still a bit of a niche thing, but LPs sales have increased dramatically in the last few years:
https://www.statista.com/chart/7699/lp- ... ed-states/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/billrosenb ... e8a0421c9c
I own a record player, and I didn't know it was ever called anything other than a needle. If you say "stylus" to me, I think of a graphics tablet.
See, those of us who refer to the needle as a stylus also call the record player a turntable. :D
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:07 pm
Not necessarily. The Ark was huge too, and I could see someone making a really big painting of that.
FWIW, I shouted out Ark as well, but the reference to a "structure" should probably have pointed me toward a building rather than a vessel.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:05 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 am

22+?

My calculator has 8 wins & $460,479 for daily average of $57,560. $1M divided by the daily average is 17.37 days to hit the million dollar mark.
Referring to second place for number of wins in the open era at 22 games (I think, Julia?). Jenning's streak is like DiMaggio's, it ain't happening again. The $1M is arbitrary, but one of the 5-gamers might have gotten there if they could reel off a 30+ game streak. His money dominance is way ahead of schedule and if he gets to 30 games and a mortal average of even $20K *, I think his #2 position is secured.
*(disclaimer - past performance IS an indicator of future success - I don't see him regressing to the mean; there's a new mean, baby)

Although there must be significant luck involved, I think the number of wins is the most telling. A couple more Lewis Blacks and he is going home. The Martian gameplay strategy is already well known here. He's plays the game like we would play for Skee-ball tickets, and it's easy to go all Martian when you are playing for funny money.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:07 pm
They didn't say the painting was big, they said it was tall.
KevinBohannon

Post by KevinBohannon »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:50 am Could you talk about your experience with the buzzer? Did you feel you were ringing in too early or too late? Did the contestant coordinators give you any feedback at the break? Did you change your grip at all during the game?
I have good reflexes. I practiced at home with a dowel and a pen, but I could argue that "blindly" practicing your timing could hurt as much as it helps it. I just couldn't find that magic gap between Alex finishing, the light coming on, and me activating the electronics of the signaling device. I did well on video clues (3/5?). Did looking to the video monitor and away from the stupid gameboard lights help? Maybe? Maggie told me at the first break that I was ringing in too early.

In terms of grip, I tried a few grips and ended up with the "cradle" thing I was doing. I pressed signaling buttons with my index finger all through my middle, high, and college quiz bowl experiences, so it's my go-to digit. I tried my thumb during rehearsal and felt slower. I believe I often had the button slightly depressed.

I also wouldn't take any tips from me on this!!

Question, and I apologize if this is breaking "Fight Club" rules: I'm interested in LearnedLeague but don't know anyone who participates. What's the best way for a person like me to get involved?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

KevinBohannon wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:02 pm Question, and I apologize if this is breaking "Fight Club" rules: I'm interested in LearnedLeague but don't know anyone who participates. What's the best way for a person like me to get involved?
Basically, ask. Usually PM someone who has an invite (which I do). :)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

KevinBohannon wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:02 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:50 am Could you talk about your experience with the buzzer? Did you feel you were ringing in too early or too late? Did the contestant coordinators give you any feedback at the break? Did you change your grip at all during the game?
Question, and I apologize if this is breaking "Fight Club" rules: I'm interested in LearnedLeague but don't know anyone who participates. What's the best way for a person like me to get involved?
I'm not sure of the etiquette either, but el morbeedo has used one token to get me into LL81 upcoming. I may see you there as a rookie, before my assignment to a newly created Z level rundle :). You might drop the query into the current LL80 thread. Methinks you won't have to wait long.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Would “Iwo Jima” alone be enough?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

KevinBohannon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm First, sorry for rocking back and forth. I know people will find it annoying, but I'm a kinetic person.
Kevin, I doubt that most viewers noticed this. I didn't. Most of us have some tics or quirks that are likely to appear in stressful situations. When I was a contestant, I picked my nose more than once.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Wheatley wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:37 am Would “Iwo Jima” alone be enough?
Probably, but can't say for sure.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:57 am
KevinBohannon wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:02 pm
I'm not sure of the etiquette either, but el morbeedo has used one token to get me into LL81 upcoming. I may see you there as a rookie, before my assignment to a newly created Z level rundle :). You might drop the query into the current LL80 thread. Methinks you won't have to wait long.
Don't let me down, or I'll sic the cats on you! At my membership level, I only get 1 referral per season

That's a bummer about your signalizer woes. From what I've read, it seems like keeping the button pressed halfway would be a good strategy. Also, timing your buzz to the cadence of Alex's voice instead of waiting for the lights. I've also wondered about the frantic clicking. I think I read that it's better to keep pressing the button at controlled intervals, rather than mashing the damn thing to save your life. But I'm still waiting for my chance!